G37 Sedan

rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 AM
cervelo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear view mirror

let me first say I came from a Honda Ridgeline so exceeding 80mph wasn't a norm so at this speed, maybe its normal. I'm loving the G37x, however, I was wondering if anyone with the homelink rear view mirror sees a very significant vibration on the mirror when approaching and exceeding 80mph? it's very annoying to see all the cars blur, especially at night.

thanks for the input!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope never had that problem. Does it feel lose to touch? Your alignment correct? Really bumpy roads. This should not move that much
Old 12-09-2010, 07:55 AM
KLB

Does the steering wheel vibrate too?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Not normal, but probably hard to diagnose. Road force balance all the tires, make sure the rims are not bent. Still could be a bad tire. If that is not the case, could be a driveline problem...driveshaft out of balance perhaps.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
328HP

Personal experience @ XXXmph

There is a problem with your car, I have personally hit triple digits in non-public road conditions with zero vibrations.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
zoner

Agree there is prob. No vibes in mine. Rock solid..
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
only time my mirror vibrates is when the music is really loud and the bass hits.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^
+1
my first thought
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 PM
cervelo1

thanks everyone. car is 4 weeks old and alignment is perfect. haven't hit anything to cause any sort of drive train damage. Its a vibration that definetely resembles the same that the base causes, but I've made it a point to turn the music off and it will still vibrate, a very fine vibrate, the whole mirror isnt shaking but everything blurs. I'm thinking its just a defective mirror attachment and seems as though I should call the dealer based on your input.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by cervelo1
thanks everyone. car is 4 weeks old and alignment is perfect. haven't hit anything to cause any sort of drive train damage. Its a vibration that definetely resembles the same that the base causes, but I've made it a point to turn the music off and it will still vibrate, a very fine vibrate, the whole mirror isnt shaking but everything blurs. I'm thinking its just a defective mirror attachment and seems as though I should call the dealer based on your input.
Loose mirror in the housing is the reason, Get the dealer to provide replacement.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo
Loose mirror in the housing is the reason, Get the dealer to provide replacement.
I am having the exact same problem on a brand new 2010. The mirror itself is tight on the windshield and the mirror doesn't move readily on its armature so this is likely my solution as well. I will get them to look at it when I go in for my first oil change.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by superjer2000
I am having the exact same problem on a brand new 2010. The mirror itself is tight on the windshield and the mirror doesn't move readily on its armature so this is likely my solution as well. I will get them to look at it when I go in for my first oil change.

Thanks.
There's also a simple fix if you want to do it your self...if dealer refuses to provide replacement.

First, you need a tube of Silicone. Clear caulk type recommended.

Next, with the mirror removed, find the center line on the underside of the mirror. However if you are worried about scratches, you can open it from the top.

Next, insert a small flat head screwdriver into the attaching center line, and mildly rotate until the two pieces separate to create a gap.

Then apply small amounts of silicone on the four posts in the back, and let dry. (You can also use a hair dryer to speed up the process) Apply silicone on the face where the plastic touches the glass.

Reassemble, and clean up any silicone residue on the glass with a paper towel.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 PM
cervelo1

There's also a simple fix if you want to do it your self...if dealer refuses to provide replacement.

Next, with the mirror removed, find the center line on the underside of the mirror. However if you are worried about scratches, you can open it from the top.

Next, insert a small flat head screwdriver into the attaching center line, and mildly rotate until the two pieces separate to create a gap.

Then apply small amounts of silicone on the four posts in the back, and let dry. (You can also use a hair dryer to speed up the process) Apply silicone on the face where the plastic touches the glass.

Thanks! If dealer wont, I'll certainly be doing this.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mirror might be the problem, but it seems suspect that the mirror vibration is associated with high speeds. The fix might be worth the try, however it would seem the mirror would vibrate at other speeds and other road surfaces also...if the problem was strictly with the mirror.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Saltin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cervelo1
I have a brand new 2010 G37x with about 3000 km on it, it has the exact same issue. The car is rock solid and there is no vibration from the wheels or drivetrain.

I figured I'd have it fixed at first service. There is something wonky about the rearview itself. It seems like the mirror doesnt sit as tight as it should in the housing.

Quick Reply: rear view mirror