G37 Sedan

Noob considering G37xS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:25 AM
dawkins20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob considering G37xS

Hi all

Just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions. I have been driving a 2008 Legacy GT which was recently totaled, and am now looking at other AWD sedan options. I took a look at a G37x 2011 at a local dealer and am definitely intrigued. I live in philly, but go up to vermont pretty regularly, especially whenever there is a big storm, hence the need for AWD.

I read through the threads about the G in the snow, but was curious to hear from those who have driven this car in bigger storms, especially anyone who may have driven a subie in similar conditions. My Legacy with conti extreme contacts could just about beat a plow in bigger storms. How does the rear wheel bias and mild oversteering tendency of the G (all great things on dry pavement) affect snow driving? Does the car tend to get a little tail happy at first or is the system pretty quick at transferring power and reeling things in? Also, with the inch or so less ground clearance than the stock LGT, any problems with getting stuck of high centered? Obviously I'm not looking for SUV performance here, just the ability to get out of a parking lot when a fresh storm has hit.

Also, since the rear seats don't fold, what are you G37 skiers doing for ski carry? Thule roof racks? any other alternatives available?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:23 PM
LINY_Rob

Have 2010 AWD and had a 2008 AWD, too. Drove both in winter/snow conditions.

Re: Rear Wheel Bias
The G AWD system has a Snow Mode feature - a button on the center console that will lock the front differential up to 25 mph thereby guaranteeing (sp?) that you are operating with AWD from the start. This function also limits throttle inputs to avoid slipping. The traction control system never had to step in for me with Snow Mode activated. I feel extremely confident in my G in the snow.

Tail Happiness:
Without the Snow Mode activated, the front differential is pretty quick to engage. There is only a slight tail-happiness that exists. Very slight. But then again, with snow on the ground, I engaged Snow Mode mostly and avoided any risky behavior.

Skis:
There is a center ski pass-through in the back seat. Fold down the center armrest, flip open the little door. Never used it - but it is there.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:26 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
Re: Rear Wheel Bias
The G AWD system has a Snow Mode feature - a button on the center console that will lock the front differential up to 25 mph thereby guaranteeing (sp?) that you are operating with AWD from the start. This function also limits throttle inputs to avoid slipping. The traction control system never had to step in for me with Snow Mode activated. I feel extremely confident in my G in the snow.
I would like to say that this is true, that the snow mode locks the front differential, but that is false. The Snow Mode varies throttle progression and transmission shift mapping to suit the driving on Snow or Ice. You can even drive the car at any speed with the snow mode active.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
LINY_Rob

Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
I would like to say that this is true, that the snow mode locks the front differential, but that is false. The Snow Mode varies throttle progression and transmission shift mapping to suit the driving on Snow or Ice. You can even drive the car at any speed with the snow mode active.
I recognize that you work at an Infiniti dealership, and have an intimacy with this information. And from reviewing other posts, I am sure you are aware of how much information is out there, i.e. from respected auto magazines, that indicate the 50/50 lock in Snow Mode. Hmph.

The manual only indicates that "[When] the snow mode is activated, engine output is controlled to avoid wheel spin" (Section 2-40).
Old 12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a 2008 G35xS and let me tell you it is amazing in the snow. I have driven the newer STi's in the snow with snow tires and they are a different monster because of the permanent AWD, and comparing that to the G won't do the G much justice. However the G WILL keep you on the road and away from danger if you know how to handle yourself. Even if the G has some rwd bias it will make up with the snow mode on. I remember that when I picked up My G and the next day it snowed about 1 1/2 feet and the G was cutting through it like it was nothing.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have ever driven a Mercedes with 4matic or an Audi with Quattro you will say that Infiniti's drive subpar to them in the snow. If you have never driven an AWD before you will think the G handles GREAT. I would give the G about a 7 in the snow with All-seasons. If you were to throw some Snow's on it, I am sure it would be closer to the Benz and Audi's. I have no problems with the G in the snow, but there is a HUGE difference when I drive the G in a heavy snow storm compared to my E Class 4matic. The Benz feels like a tank and almost impossible to lose traction even with All-seasons, while with the G it is still quite easy to lose control of the car if pushed enough or in a big enough storm. I am comparing the G to an E550 4matic, so its not due to the HP difference.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:15 PM
carz

the infiniti AWD system is one of the best ive driven. it has a little play in it if you're driving like a retard IN the snow....but other than that it wont make u sweat, not even for a second
Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Riley
Registered Member

We have 2009 G37X and we love it in the snow.
We have put Dunlop snows on it and driven to Whistler many times but only had a few good snow day trips. I really like it in the snow and with snow mode on.

The ski pass through works for 2 skis but a little fussy to get them in there. I'm not sure what would make an Audi or M better in the snow,,, the traction control or what? I think it's unfair to compare with all seasons on the car as that would become a debate on the actual tire and not the car.

I love the G and actually thinking about getting another one so I can have 2.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 AM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by Riley
We have 2009 G37X and we love it in the snow.
We have put Dunlop snows on it and driven to Whistler many times but only had a few good snow day trips. I really like it in the snow and with snow mode on.

The ski pass through works for 2 skis but a little fussy to get them in there. I'm not sure what would make an Audi or M better in the snow,,, the traction control or what? I think it's unfair to compare with all seasons on the car as that would become a debate on the actual tire and not the car.

I love the G and actually thinking about getting another one so I can have 2.
The reason for the difference is there is full time AWD with those systems (more power to the front tires all the time) and with the G, once you get over a certain speed, it is basically a RWD car until it notices any "slipage" (not sure if that is even a real word) LOL
Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
I recognize that you work at an Infiniti dealership, and have an intimacy with this information. And from reviewing other posts, I am sure you are aware of how much information is out there, i.e. from respected auto magazines, that indicate the 50/50 lock in Snow Mode. Hmph.

The manual only indicates that "[When] the snow mode is activated, engine output is controlled to avoid wheel spin" (Section 2-40).
How did the whole "snow mode locks the power 50/50 front/rear up to 20 mph" rumor start? Ever time you see snow mode mentioned people mention this "fact" too.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
dawkins20

Thanks for the snow advice. Sounds reasonable so far. On a completely different tack, I've been doing some research on here about the various packages and options, and have come across something that seems pretty strange. On the 2011 cars, there is an ipod compatible USB port, but no Aux in audio jack (3.5mm or RCA) Looking at the package options, it seems that bluetooth streaming audio is only available with the navigation package, not on the non-nav version. So does this mean there is absolutely no way to listen to music from a android smartphone or any other device unless the car comes with navigation? I hope I am wrong about this, because it seems to be a huge oversight.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 AM
mossman

Originally Posted by dawkins20
Hi all

Just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions. I have been driving a 2008 Legacy GT which was recently totaled, and am now looking at other AWD sedan options. I took a look at a G37x 2011 at a local dealer and am definitely intrigued. I live in philly, but go up to vermont pretty regularly, especially whenever there is a big storm, hence the need for AWD.

I read through the threads about the G in the snow, but was curious to hear from those who have driven this car in bigger storms, especially anyone who may have driven a subie in similar conditions. My Legacy with conti extreme contacts could just about beat a plow in bigger storms. How does the rear wheel bias and mild oversteering tendency of the G (all great things on dry pavement) affect snow driving? Does the car tend to get a little tail happy at first or is the system pretty quick at transferring power and reeling things in? Also, with the inch or so less ground clearance than the stock LGT, any problems with getting stuck of high centered? Obviously I'm not looking for SUV performance here, just the ability to get out of a parking lot when a fresh storm has hit.

Also, since the rear seats don't fold, what are you G37 skiers doing for ski carry? Thule roof racks? any other alternatives available?
I think I might be able to help here. I am currently at the end of my 2008X lease. I live in Vermont. My last two cars were a 2005 Legacy GT, and a 2001 Audi A41.8T. I always run snow tires in winter on all my cars.

The G is outstanding in the snow. I had zero problems even in very large snowstorms. In fact I have driven it through 12 inches of snow with no problems at all. I always find myself passing SUV's and pickups because they are sliding all over. I really think the only way to get it to go off the road would be drive it off the road. The stability system really helps keep things in control.

Having said that, it does feel different than Audi and Subie. The Audi and Subie are full time so they never ever slip. For example on the highway at 60mph you are already driving all 4 wheels as opposed to the G that has to activate the front. Although, the G is very very fast to turn on. I heard numbers of 1/8 a tire rotation of slippage which is pretty good. On a dry day you can get the G rear end to slip for a second if you are taking a turn on gravel for example. So the Subie and Audi might be slightly better but with snow tires it's a non issue. I had these same questions when I went from Subie to the G. I drove the saleswoman nuts trying to get the G stuck in snow banks. I couldn't get it stuck at all.

Now that my lease is ending in two months, I am seriously looking at leasing an Audi S4, or maybe a new G. There is a big price difference obviously.

The two big things pulling me to the S4 are a fold down rear seat, and a MANUAL transmission. My Audi and Legacy were both manuals. I forgot how much fun a manual is until I drove the S4. I wish Inifiniti would put manual in the G AWD. I have zero complaints about the G and I know the Audi reliability will be an issue I am sure. The Infiniti is a much comfortable car and very easy to live with day to day. In fact the S4 rode very rough compared to my G. I was surprised about that. You really can't get anymore for your money than the G.

Anyway, hope this helps you out a little bit. I still a few months to agonize over G vs. S4. My Infiniti dealer is 3 hours away..... at least Audi is a 10 minute drive. haha

There is no perfect car!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 AM
dawkins20

[quote=mossman;3013784
There is no perfect car!!![/quote]

Couldn't have said it better myself. I really like the improvements in styling and interior refinement of the G37x over the new Legacy GT, and the G is such a better value and performer than the other entry level luxury sports sedans. But in a perfect world, the rear seats would fold, and the 6MT would be available in the AWD cars too.

Thanks for the update on snow, sounds like what I thought, a theoretical advantage to the Audi/Subie full time AWD systems, but the G being perfectly acceptable in the real world. Out of curiosity, what tires and size rims do you run in the winter?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Out of curiosity, what tires and size rims do you run in the winter?
I picked up my snows from TireRack.com , they are the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 based on the staggered setup.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
mossman

Couldn't have said it better myself. I really like the improvements in styling and interior refinement of the G37x over the new Legacy GT, and the G is such a better value and performer than the other entry level luxury sports sedans. But in a perfect world, the rear seats would fold, and the 6MT would be available in the AWD cars too.

Thanks for the update on snow, sounds like what I thought, a theoretical advantage to the Audi/Subie full time AWD systems, but the G being perfectly acceptable in the real world. Out of curiosity, what tires and size rims do you run in the winter?
I leased my G X model without the sport model. So I kept the original (non staggered) 17 inch wheels for winter. I put on blizzak ws 50's. I also get state inspection with snow tires on so no problem with the tire pressure light being on.

For summer I put on 18 inch coupe (non -sport) wheels with the original dunlops. I just live with the tire pressure light being on. Those are now completely worn in 3 years, but my lease is up anyway. When I return the car I'll put the original 17 inch good years back on (never used really). If I lease a new G it will be the XS model so I'll just use the 18 inch that comes with it for summer, and use my current 18 inch coupe wheels with snow tires for winter.

As a side note the new S4 uses the ABS tire speed sensors to check tire pressure. Might not be as good as sensors but at least I don't have to be concerned with the tire pressure light!!

Quick Reply: Noob considering G37xS