G37 Sedan

Lease Payment Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM
CAPCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lease Payment Question

I don't understand leases that well, what would be a good lease payment for a G37xs loaded except the Tech Pkg w/ around $1200 down payment 3yr lease 10,000 miles per year figuring getting the car at invoice.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a lease, I never recommend putting a down payment. Work the deal without a down payment. Walk away and call internet sales to another Infiniti and have them match the deal with better options or beat it.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would suggest a down payment over a security deposit anytime. I've seen too many instances where people lose security monies for basic wear and tear. Fortunately, for you looking into a lease of a 2011 you are going to find that the residuals are much better than they were in previous years. Basically, you have a couple of factors that determine your lease. You have the MSRP, Sales Price, Residual, Money Factor, Term of lease and Mileage. With the Sales Price that is where all the incentives and discounts are applied, it is important to concentrate on this area as that is where you have the most control and ultimately is where your payments are derived from. There is not much you can do about the residuals they are determined by the model that you select. Residuals refer to the fraction the car is worth at the end of the lease and this also determines the amount of the car you are paying for. Money Factors are based on the term of the lease, 36 or 39, I can't remember exactly what the factors are for the terms, but since Infiniti Financial sets these rates there is little that you can do to change them, you could always use a Security Deposit, but I will advise not to as this is money you can lose at the end of your lease and no body wants that. Also, it creates a major problem if you ever try to trade out of your lease. With lease terms I have seen instances where 36 months are favorable over 39 and usually 39 is better over 36. These cars do not look attractive at a 24 month lease, so don't bother. Have the dealer run both 36 & 39. Usually, between 10K miles and 12k miles the difference is something like $10-$15 a month of a difference. The big difference comes on a 15k miles as the rate increases dramatically. Trick is to concentrate on the sales price and if you are an Infiniti owner, the Loyalty Cash will be applied, which is $1,000. I hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 PM
CAPCO

Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
I would suggest a down payment over a security deposit anytime. I've seen too many instances where people lose security monies for basic wear and tear. Fortunately, for you looking into a lease of a 2011 you are going to find that the residuals are much better than they were in previous years. Basically, you have a couple of factors that determine your lease. You have the MSRP, Sales Price, Residual, Money Factor, Term of lease and Mileage. With the Sales Price that is where all the incentives and discounts are applied, it is important to concentrate on this area as that is where you have the most control and ultimately is where your payments are derived from. There is not much you can do about the residuals they are determined by the model that you select. Residuals refer to the fraction the car is worth at the end of the lease and this also determines the amount of the car you are paying for. Money Factors are based on the term of the lease, 36 or 39, I can't remember exactly what the factors are for the terms, but since Infiniti Financial sets these rates there is little that you can do to change them, you could always use a Security Deposit, but I will advise not to as this is money you can lose at the end of your lease and no body wants that. Also, it creates a major problem if you ever try to trade out of your lease. With lease terms I have seen instances where 36 months are favorable over 39 and usually 39 is better over 36. These cars do not look attractive at a 24 month lease, so don't bother. Have the dealer run both 36 & 39. Usually, between 10K miles and 12k miles the difference is something like $10-$15 a month of a difference. The big difference comes on a 15k miles as the rate increases dramatically. Trick is to concentrate on the sales price and if you are an Infiniti owner, the Loyalty Cash will be applied, which is $1,000. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the down payment is first month payment,drive off, taxes and fees. Let the dealer pay for those.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:20 PM
zhaofl

While ScottyBeGood provides some really good info, I would strongly suggest multi deposit security over cap reduction down payment. I just leased a 2010 G37x with nine MDS. The security deposit is $4050 and I cut down my monthly payment by $59 per month which amounts to $2300 saving over the 39 month lease. I never lease with Infiniti before, so I don't know how strict they are regarding the wear and tear. But I can not imagine that they will charge over $2000 for excess wear and tear if the car is properly taken care of.

The other thing is that your down payment will be lost when the car is total. But you will still get your security payment back in this case.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
ScottyBeGood

Originally Posted by zhaofl
While ScottyBeGood provides some really good info, I would strongly suggest multi deposit security over cap reduction down payment. I just leased a 2010 G37x with nine MDS. The security deposit is $4050 and I cut down my monthly payment by $59 per month which amounts to $2300 saving over the 39 month lease. I never lease with Infiniti before, so I don't know how strict they are regarding the wear and tear. But I can not imagine that they will charge over $2000 for excess wear and tear if the car is properly taken care of.

The other thing is that your down payment will be lost when the car is total. But you will still get your security payment back in this case.
I knew that if I mentioned going against a Security Deposit it would draw a debate as it has. Sure, you are not wrong that it reduces the cost of the Money Factor and sure that is great. But here is the FAIL, you are LOCKED into a TERM contract.

I have seen some... German dealerships knock people for having wheel rash, dings, paint scratches, wear on brake pads and tires. Don't get me wrong, my dealership does not do this and I would never work for a dishonest dealership, I like to sleep at night and look into the mirror in the morning. But don't say that you can't lose a security deposit, because I assure you can.

Personally, I know people who would rather apply a down payment vs. a security deposit. With a security deposit you never know if you will get it back or how much of it you will lose or if any. Down payments are applied and you get to see what the drop is in a payment, sure you can look at it as money lost, cause you are not going to get it back. But for every $1,000 or so to the cost on a 36-39 month lease the difference is about a $40 per month difference. At $1,500 down you could expect based on the above a savings of $59 per month. Personally, I would take $4,050 deduct the $1,500 and apply the rest somewhere else, maybe in some better investments or knowing me I would spend it on mods.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot of good information on the board...one other thing to look for....lease termination fees that will be applied if you turn in rather than purchase the car at the end of the lease. These fees serve as a negotiation hook by the dealer that will usually be waived if you purchase or lease another new Infiniti. I leased my G in August...residuals and incentives were high and deep discounts were available. I spoke to the finance manager when I had my car in for service last week...he said very strong lease deals were still available and the cars were selling slowly....anyone leasing right now should do well.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
brianashley

Rule #1: As little a down as possible on a lease. The only thing your down $ is doing is paying down the monthly note for the term of the lease.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
zhaofl

Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
I knew that if I mentioned going against a Security Deposit it would draw a debate as it has. Sure, you are not wrong that it reduces the cost of the Money Factor and sure that is great. But here is the FAIL, you are LOCKED into a TERM contract.

I have seen some... German dealerships knock people for having wheel rash, dings, paint scratches, wear on brake pads and tires. Don't get me wrong, my dealership does not do this and I would never work for a dishonest dealership, I like to sleep at night and look into the mirror in the morning. But don't say that you can't lose a security deposit, because I assure you can.

Personally, I know people who would rather apply a down payment vs. a security deposit. With a security deposit you never know if you will get it back or how much of it you will lose or if any. Down payments are applied and you get to see what the drop is in a payment, sure you can look at it as money lost, cause you are not going to get it back. But for every $1,000 or so to the cost on a 36-39 month lease the difference is about a $40 per month difference. At $1,500 down you could expect based on the above a savings of $59 per month. Personally, I would take $4,050 deduct the $1,500 and apply the rest somewhere else, maybe in some better investments or knowing me I would spend it on mods.
As I said before I am new to this lease thing with Infiniti, so I don't have the lease-end experience. However, doesn't IFS send someone for pre-inspection before the lease-end? He will inform you about the excess wear and tear, and the cost for the fix. I am totally aware that you will get charge if those are not been taken care of. Sure the charge will be deducted if the security deposit is used. But you will pay out-of-pocket anyway if you don't have the security deposit. So whether having the security deposit payment won't make much difference.

If you are still concern about the security deposit or are tight on the money, I agree that security deposit is not for everyone. But I would still suggest against down payment. Most of the lease exports will suggest the thing. Basically you only reduce your cap as the other poster noticed, and only earn the lease rate return (currently at around 2~3% based on the money factor). And you will have this additional risk that your principal will be lost in the unfortunate event that the car is totaled.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zhaofl
As I said before I am new to this lease thing with Infiniti, so I don't have the lease-end experience. However, doesn't IFS send someone for pre-inspection before the lease-end? He will inform you about the excess wear and tear, and the cost for the fix. I am totally aware that you will get charge if those are not been taken care of. Sure the charge will be deducted if the security deposit is used. But you will pay out-of-pocket anyway if you don't have the security deposit. So whether having the security deposit payment won't make much difference.
Just reference this link - it contains Infiniti's requirements for lease returns. Infiniti Financing | Lease FAQ | Infiniti USA
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 AM
LINY_Rob

CAPCO - a few resources that should help you:

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com that has a section on leasing offering a guide including tips about what to look for in your lease.

RIDE with G | auto leasing tips, find monthly lease rates, industry news and rants that researches and lists the different lease and purchase offers currently available. This site also features an Excel spreadsheet that you can use to calculate a monthly payment. It's very comprehensive.

I also use this site:
Car Lease Calculator — Monthly Lease Payments and Costs

It's an alternative lease calculator to Ride with G's. They both require you knowing the residual amounts and money factors. You can find this information with quick web searches.

As a friendly note - I wouldn't pose your question that way that you did. As mentioned above, the lease payment has many variables. IMO the amount you pay at signing (or Due At Signing - DAS) plays a big role in determining the lease payment once you've determined your model, options, and lease terms (months and miles).

For comparison, here is my lease:

2010 G37xS Sedan with Premium, Navi, and Sport Packages + Rear Lip Spoiler
15,000 miles per year / 39 months
$750 down (DAS) and $518 per month

Personal recommendations:
Go with very little upfront (DAS)
Compare dealer quotes using the same DAS amount, i.e. $500 or $1,000 in order to get comparable quotes
Focus on the overall selling price of the vehicle first, then the monthly lease payment

Good luck! When you get your car, hope you post pics!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 AM
ScottyBeGood

Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
CAPCO - a few resources that should help you:

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com that has a section on leasing offering a guide including tips about what to look for in your lease.

RIDE with G | auto leasing tips, find monthly lease rates, industry news and rants that researches and lists the different lease and purchase offers currently available. This site also features an Excel spreadsheet that you can use to calculate a monthly payment. It's very comprehensive.

I also use this site:
Car Lease Calculator — Monthly Lease Payments and Costs

It's an alternative lease calculator to Ride with G's. They both require you knowing the residual amounts and money factors. You can find this information with quick web searches.

As a friendly note - I wouldn't pose your question that way that you did. As mentioned above, the lease payment has many variables. IMO the amount you pay at signing (or Due At Signing - DAS) plays a big role in determining the lease payment once you've determined your model, options, and lease terms (months and miles).

For comparison, here is my lease:

2010 G37xS Sedan with Premium, Navi, and Sport Packages + Rear Lip Spoiler
15,000 miles per year / 39 months
$750 down (DAS) and $518 per month

Personal recommendations:
Go with very little upfront (DAS)
Compare dealer quotes using the same DAS amount, i.e. $500 or $1,000 in order to get comparable quotes
Focus on the overall selling price of the vehicle first, then the monthly lease payment

Good luck! When you get your car, hope you post pics!
LINY_Rob has posted some great information. I use as a dealer the resources provided by Edmunds when customers mention that they have shopped the car using their resources.

Most important advice I can give, is before you visit a dealer is shop the car online. Get the facts and find the car you want with the options that you want. Print the price with all the features that you want and then visit the dealer. When at the dealer present the information. Don't hold it in your back pocket and wait for the deal to be made, present it as a resource of information. You will save a great deal of time and you will find the dealer will accommodate you. I have had so many deals where the information is shopped and shopped extensively, but the people never bring in the information, they only say well Edmunds said this or that... Save yourself the time, if you are researching the car you want bring the information with you and come in ready to buy, because the deal will be made and it will be what you want.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
bcohen23

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brianashley
Rule #1: As little a down as possible on a lease. The only thing your down $ is doing is paying down the monthly note for the term of the lease.
Agree brianashley --- I just leased a 2011 G37 Sedan Prem & Nav packages: ZERO DOWN, 39 months @ $484/mo. The MSRP was @ $39,825; got them down to $35k sales price (thanks to VPP-A)!!

Loving the car!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Threads like this one are always good for generic reference points, but not much else. There are just too many variables involved in a lease:

- MSRP of car with options;
- Whether you have a trade;
- The taxes in your state;
- Current incentives at time of lease;
- How good (or not) your credit is;
- The term and miles for the lease;
- Etc. etc. etc.

Whenever I see someone brag about great lease payments on a forum, I take it with a grain of salt. If you drill down and ask them questions, you'll often find out that they didn't include inceptions, they didn't include the taxes, or they had a $5,000 trade-in that they didn't mention.

Nobody wants to tell you about how they got screwed on a lease, so these discussions are filled with optimistic numbers.

Just food for thought, and not directed at anyone in particular in this thread.

Quick Reply: Lease Payment Question