G37 Sedan

Things you wish Infiniti would add or change

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ No it is not the same thing. The G seat is fixed in a reclined angle; in other car you can change the seat angle to make the whole seat tilt to front or more recline to back, way more comfortable. Try a Honda or Huyndai or Accura next time you have access to one. Many other cars have it too, even car that cost much less.
I cursed at the idiot engineer who made the decision to use these seats. I understand about cost issue, but this is not about cost. Infinity decided to copy BMW front cushion lift gimmicks while sacrifices real adjustment functions.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
dantris2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have g37 2009, so perhaps and hopefully some of these complaints have become outdated:

Little but extremely annoying things:

1) Auto AC that actually works (maintains set temperature without the need for the user to constantly adjust it)

2) Auto-unlock of the doors when parked and also if possible auto-unlock when trying to open the door handle from inside multiple times in sequence (like BMW).

3) Side-mirror tilt down on reverse (constantly scratching expensive rims when parallel parking; this feature is already available on Japanese model!!!!)

4) Outside unlock through the area on the door handle instead of pressing a button and also auto lock after leaving the car

5) Sport seats need improvement at least in sedan: bolsters don't go out far enough for larger frame people, and don't move in close enough for smaller frame people. They also need to be increased in size.

Big things:

1) Go back to g35 steering (G37 steering is simply too gimmicky and too light at low speeds with not enough feedback; it really divorces from you from the road and the fun factor)

2) Dual-clutch transmission instead of 7at abomination

3) A proper rear LSD differential instead of viscous type.

4) roof rack mounting points (BMW has it, Subaru has it, and I think even Audi has it)

5) foldable rear seats (if BMW can accomplish that than G should have it with no problem)
Old 12-11-2010, 11:12 AM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dantris2010
I have g37 2009, so perhaps and hopefully some of these complaints have become outdated:

Little but extremely annoying things:

2) Auto-unlock of the doors when parked and also if possible auto-unlock when trying to open the door handle from inside multiple times in sequence (like BMW).

3) Side-mirror tilt down on reverse (constantly scratching expensive rims when parallel parking; this feature is already available on Japanese model!!!!)

4) Outside unlock through the area on the door handle instead of pressing a button and also auto lock after leaving the car

Big things:

2) Dual-clutch transmission instead of 7at abomination

3) A proper rear LSD differential instead of viscous type.

5) foldable rear seats (if BMW can accomplish that than G should have it with no problem)

yeah, and how about a navigation system where the interface doesn't totally SUCK. my 08 subaru had one of the best, as does the porsche cayenne. the interface is just terrible. you see icons on the map, and you don't even get any info when you touch them. address input is gimmicky, no real customization of what is displayed on the map, bigger screen, better voice input. all in all, the stock navi unit just blows.

DCT tranny is also a BIG WANT for me.

fold down seats would be a real plus. and the button to open the door is gimmick as well.

these are mostly MINOR quibbles tho, and i really LOVE the car otherwise.

oh, it lacks interior storage room. maybe an opening that's bigger with a hidden cover where the ashtray is (who the hell smokes and uses an ashtray in a car anyway)

bigger more usable center console storage ...

again, nits, but hey, we're here to pick
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 AM
danno62

I would like a little less glow on the after-burners, especially in town. The cops have an easier time trailing ya when your tails-a-burning. They should come out with a stealth version.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM
2k7G35s

So here it is...

-Auto Lock when you drive off
-Torque vectoring rear diff for the X model(like on new Audi's and Acura SH-AWD)
-Xs model with 6MT
-More torque(flat torque curve but it just needs more)
-Real stability control, not glorified traction control
-Real brights(they're barely brighter than normal)
-Take out the grandpa-type emergency brake on auto models and put it in its' rightful place.
-Add sound deading(or find some way to make it quieter)
-Make it wider and lower plus shorten it.
-Offer a real high performance version(possiby downsize the 5.6 V8 to 5.0 then increase compression and tweak it to 400+ horsepower and become a BMW M3 beater)
-Dont make Raiders NFL Football Team interior colors standard(black and silver trim)
-Make it perform better in rollovers and the NHTSA full frontal crash test.
-Make heads up display an option.
-Add magnetoheological shocks as standard or as an option that can be tuned and adjusted for a firmer sportier ride or softer ride.
-Increase steering feel(great, but could be better, look to 3 series if in doubt)
-Ditch the catfish look on some models(G37s coupe with body kit)
-Refine the engine and make it sound just as good inside as outside.
-Add power rear sunshade(fairly cheap touch that makes a car seem much more expensive)
-Redesign headrests to not score poorly in rear crash tests
-Allow redline to 8,000 rpm
-Add higher quality nav system and replace the mediocre Bose "Studio on Wheels" and replace it with an exemplary ELS system found in Acuras(Acura ditched Bose for ELS, ELS is WORLD'S ahead in everything from strength of bass to clarity of mid range, etc.)
-Add remote start as standard.
-I accidentally hit the alarm button when the key fob is in my pocket now and then, which is very inconvienent and annoying.
-Make regular unleaded gas the normally recommended fuel
-ADD Foglights !
-Increase MPGs to 30s on highway(305 hp Mustang can do get 31 mpg with 6 speeds, surely the G can get at least 30 with 7 speeds)

With all of that it would be the ULTIMATE car.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7G35s
So here it is...

With all of that it would be the ULTIMATE car.
Yes, with a MSRP of around $90,000. Would you by a G at that price?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 PM
2k7G35s

Originally Posted by Chekov
Yes, with a MSRP of around $90,000. Would you by a G at that price?
There are cars in it's price range that offer most of those features...

-Auto Lock when you drive off A new Honda Civic has this feature, free
-Torque vectoring rear diff for the X model(like on new Audi's and Acura SH-AWD) Acura TL SH-AWD is about same price
-Xs model with 6MT Would add no cost, just be an option.
-More torque(flat torque curve but it just needs more) No cost and easy to do, Mustang V6 does it with .2 liters less displacement(280 lb-ft.)
-Real stability control, not glorified traction control Just about every car has VSC that brakes a front wheel
-Real brights(they're barely brighter than normal) Cheaper Halogens are actually better at being "Brights"
-Take out the grandpa-type emergency brake on auto models and put it in its' rightful place. Doesnt cost anything to change
-Add sound deading(or find some way to make it quieter) Bose ANC weighs nothing and takes out sound, Free
-Make it wider and lower plus shorten it. Basically FREE, just in the redesign

-Offer a real high performance version(possiby downsize the 5.6 V8 to 5.0 then increase compression and tweak it to 400+ horsepower and become a BMW M3 beater)
(A budget of 65k would suffice, that's BMW M3 territory and Infiniti can do a lot with very little money)

-Dont make Raiders NFL Football Team interior colors standard(black and silver trim) FREE

-Make it perform better in rollovers and the NHTSA full frontal crash test. Use higher strength steel
-Make heads up display an option. a $22k Camaro can have this
-Add magnetoheological shocks as standard or as an option that can be tuned and adjusted for a firmer sportier ride or softer ride. make it optional
-Increase steering feel(great, but could be better, look to 3 series if in doubt) FREE
-Ditch the catfish look on some models(G37s coupe with body kit) FREE basically, change shapes
-Refine the engine and make it sound just as good inside as outside.
-Add power rear sunshade(fairly cheap touch that makes a car seem much more expensive)
-Redesign headrests to not score poorly in rear crash tests
-Allow redline to 8,000 rpm
-Add higher quality nav system and replace the mediocre Bose "Studio on Wheels" and replace it with an exemplary ELS system found in Acuras(Acura ditched Bose for ELS, ELS is WORLD'S ahead in everything from strength of bass to clarity of mid range, etc.)
-Add remote start as standard.
-I accidentally hit the alarm button when the key fob is in my pocket now and then, which is very inconvienent and annoying.
-Make regular unleaded gas the normally recommended fuel
-ADD Foglights !
-Increase MPGs to 30s on highway(305 hp Mustang can do get 31 mpg with 6 speeds, surely the G can get at least 30 with 7 speeds)

90% of the stuff I mentioned was simply a change in design and not using exotic expensive materials, it is doable.

Last edited by 2k7G35s; 12-11-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Well, if all those features are available in other cars, then why not just buy one of those? The answer is that they appear on many different cars and to put them all in a redesigned G is just cost prohibitive.

And at least one of your suggestions is contradictory, like offering a high performance 400+ hp V-8 (there’s an additional $4K right there) that would run on regular fuel.

It’s a great wish list, and I certainly like some of the suggestions, but not economically practical if you want them all in a G that would still cost around $45K.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
brianashley

I just purchased a 2010 G37S sedan. Seems like everyone else spoke of some major issues. My previous 7 cars have all been Honda's so....take these in stride.
1) Map lights look really cheap compared to previous vehicles I have owned. Flimsy and very plain. Never riden in a Sentra, but they look like that is where they belong.
2) Coin compartment in front of shifter is deep enough for me to put my entire hand in. Unfortunately, I end up pulling out 900 pennies when all I need is a quarter.
3) Cupholders need more depth. Especially when resting arm on center console.
4) Foot rest pedal on left needs to be more stable. It seems to be just a piece of shiny metal glued to the carpet, instead of a true pedal mounted on a metal base.
5) Don't like the look of the round seat warmer controls. I do like that they are not switches that can accidentally be turned on.
6) Inside ledge of doors could be a softer material. Seems to rub the skin off of my arm when I prop it up on a long trip.

Overall, this is a great car. Very satisfied. Just some nitpicky things.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
2k7G35s

Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, if all those features are available in other cars, then why not just buy one of those? The answer is that they appear on many different cars and to put them all in a redesigned G is just cost prohibitive.

And at least one of your suggestions is contradictory, like offering a high performance 400+ hp V-8 (there’s an additional $4K right there) that would run on regular fuel.

It’s a great wish list, and I certainly like some of the suggestions, but not economically practical if you want them all in a G that would still cost around $45K.
With the V8 and all the performance tuning I would be expecting it to be around $60k so it can take the M3 head on, I also didn't mean I would want the high performance M3 one to run on regular, I meant the normal G
Old 12-11-2010, 11:47 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is funny how many of us wants this and that without considering Nissan people need to eat, live and not loosing their shirts making car.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Just fix the damn paint, everything else I can live with.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Thumbs up

The good news is that many of the suggested improvements in this thread will surely make their way into the next generation G. I can say that because I owned a 2004 G35 coupe before my current G37 coupe, and many of the G35’s shortcomings were addressed in my 2008 G37. They include:

• Hood struts instead of the propping the hood up with a crude mental rod
• Relocation and easier use dip stick. It was a real chore to check oil in the G35
• Making the nav screen integral to the dash. The pop-up screen on the G35 looked like a cheap afterthought.
• Increased HP from 280 to 330
• Improved, voice activated, touch screen navigation system.
• 9.3GB hard drive that replaced the old 6 disc CD changer and DVD-based nav system.
• Better ride quality
• Satellite radio capability (My G35 didn’t have the roof antenna)
• Powered and memory seat adjustments. Some seat adjustments on my 35 were located on the seat’s right and were difficult to use. The manual seatback adjustment on the floor was impossible to reach with the doors closed.
• Keyless ignition and door/trunk unlock system
• Backup camera

There may be more that I can’t think of, but these are the ones I certainly welcomed in my new G37. I’m sure we will see many of the improvements suggested here in the next G. I just hope it doesn’t price us into oblivion.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What's wrong with nissan safety?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
2k7G35s

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
What's wrong with nissan safety?
The G37 is not an IIHS best pick, which it could be.

IIHS Side Impact: The structure/safety cage only receives an acceptable rating.

IIHS-HLDI: Infiniti G35/G37

NHTSA Full Frontal Impact: The HIC(Head Injury Criterion) was anywhere from an average 362 HIC(possible broken nose/facial injury) to an 812 HIC(moderate injuries such as broken neck or severe concussion, etc.).

YouTube - 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan NHTSA Frontal Impact

Versus a HIC reading of 211-395 for the Acura RL. Which means no matter what you will walk away with virtually no injuries, at worst a broken nose or the mildest of concussion.
YouTube - 2005 Acura RL/Honda Legend NHTSA Frontal Impact

NHTSA Side Impact: The driver's frontal airbag deployed, adding to unnecessary forces on the dummy.

YouTube - 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan NHTSA Side Impact

This is somewhat unrelated but in the NHTSA frontal crash test of the Infiniti EX35, the passenger airbag DID NOT deploy.

Quick Reply: Things you wish Infiniti would add or change