G37 Sedan

Empty Washer Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Empty Washer Fluid??

so i am out here and arizona and rarely use my washer fluid. i have probably used it maybe 5 times since i got the car last december actually. Today, i needed some and i went to use it and nothing would come out and all you could here is the motor trying to spray some out. there is no way i ran out of washer fluid. what could of happened. does the heat have anything to do with it?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
so i am out here and arizona and rarely use my washer fluid. i have probably used it maybe 5 times since i got the car last december actually. Today, i needed some and i went to use it and nothing would come out and all you could here is the motor trying to spray some out. there is no way i ran out of washer fluid. what could of happened. does the heat have anything to do with it?
Either it's out, the nozzles are both clogged, or the bottle is cracked. Did you look under the hood yet?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

not yet. where is it located under the hood?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could have evaporated also if its mainly water mixture
Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably it's not empty or your dashboard would have told you about it. Assuming everything was working correctly. Maybe it got clogged up with dust or something? I guess ice is out of the question . If the reservoir is not empty, try cleaning the spouts. Or I guess check and make sure a line didn't get disconnected in there somewhere.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Really? I'm pretty sure you can find it. It's the one with the obviously labeled cap.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 AM
cbach1997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
Really? I'm pretty sure you can find it. It's the one with the obviously labeled cap.
The actual tank's pretty obscure and hidden in a void, though. I can't imagine anyone seeing much without the front bumper off save for looking straight down the inlet.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 AM
TTZ2G

being from Vegas, this happened to my Z. You need to take a pin to the small sprayers on the wipers (are they on the wipers on the G?) and clean out the calcium that has built up and clogged the hole

Water out west sux!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
8lackMacObs

Sorry to bump an old thread (and thread-jack hehe); I didn't want to start a new one. My reservoir keeps emptying, and I've tried filling it up twice with Rain-X (orange liquid). It has emptied itself both times.

I also unclogged (I think?) all 6 nozzles using a twist-tie (found on loaves of bread) after stripping the paper off. The wire goes in about 1.5 to 2 inches before it stops, so I must be hitting a bend in the hose or something.

Is there a way to lift out the reservoir to check for leaks or cracks?
How deep should I be trying to unclog each nozzle?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 PM
zoner

I have never had fluid evaporate. Don't think that is possible. You must have a leak or blockage.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 PM
bresbones

when i got my new car from dealer, my washer fluid wouldn't come out although the resevoir was full..turned out the little holes where the fluid shoots out from were clogged, perhaps from wax..just stick a small pin into them gently, and this should solve the problem.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
8lackMacObs

Originally Posted by bresbones
when i got my new car from dealer, my washer fluid wouldn't come out although the resevoir was full..turned out the little holes where the fluid shoots out from were clogged, perhaps from wax..just stick a small pin into them gently, and this should solve the problem.
That's exactly what I did:

Originally Posted by 8lackMacObs
I also unclogged (I think?) all 6 nozzles using a twist-tie (found on loaves of bread) after stripping the paper off. The wire goes in about 1.5 to 2 inches before it stops, so I must be hitting a bend in the hose or something.
I should also note that I refilled the reservoir the second time about an hour after the first. I filled it up about a half inch from the top both times. I also waited a few minutes each time and the level did not change noticeably. However, it seemed empty when I filled it the second time (based on how much fluid I poured in and the time it took to fill up).

My questions based on what I suspect is happening are:
1) Is there a way to lift out the reservoir to check for leaks or cracks?
2) How deep should I be trying to unclog each nozzle?

Last edited by 8lackMacObs; 01-31-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 8lackMacObs
Sorry to bump an old thread (and thread-jack hehe); I didn't want to start a new one. My reservoir keeps emptying, and I've tried filling it up twice with Rain-X (orange liquid). It has emptied itself both times.

Is there a way to lift out the reservoir to check for leaks or cracks?
How deep should I be trying to unclog each nozzle?
Yes. You have to remove the front bumper cover. You'll see the tank on the passenger side under the bumper. It's the big white thing in this picture ... you can't miss it. You should check the gasket on the level sensor attached to the bottom of the tank for leaks.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 PM
roots4x

You should still have warranty coverage. Have the dealer take care of it! No point in messing around with anything if you have time to get it fixed for free.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:38 PM
8lackMacObs

/facepalm

I dropped by the Austin Infiniti dealer a few days ago. It turns out the hose that connects the reservoir to the nozzles had become disconnected, so I was spraying wiper fluid in my engine bay.

Service department looked at me like a moron after fixing it.
/facepalm

My driver side nozzles look a lot weaker (maybe they're angled more?) than the passenger side. Is this normal?

Quick Reply: Empty Washer Fluid??