G37 Sedan

New 2010 G37x--Is this model a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Leslee52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2010 G37x--Is this model a lemon?

I am new to the boards and a new lessee of a 2010 G37. After 10 years of a tremendous experience with my G20, which I regularly serviced at the dealership, I finally decided to part with it and lease a G37x. Looked beautiful and everything looked like it worked when I pulled away from the dealership, but within two days, the problems began.

First the radio got lower and lower (it was supposed to be the premium package, but it certainly never sounded premium at all). Then the accelerator started to become very hard to press down. There is definitely some sort of sensor problem, as it sometimes recognizes my pressing on the pedal and then sometimes it suddenly does and leaps ahead.

Then there is a burning rubber smell coming from somewhere on the right side of the car when you turn it off.

Sometimes the car does not want to start even when you are pressing on the brake.

There is also what appears to be a red security light that blinks all the time when I am not driving it.

Finally, we had a good rain this weekend and I opened the trunk and all the water on top ran in.

After three days of having the car, it is back at the dealer. I am already looking at the lemon law in my state. Are these things common in this model?

I am really sorry I traded in my G20, which was running better than this new "luxury" model is now.

Anyone else have these kinds of problems with their G37x?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Not I... none of that sounds right at all! I haven't had any problems with my G since I picked it up in March.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No major problems here...but I am irritated with some of the minor issues. The front suspension is noisy over some surfaces(characteristic of the car but sometimes sounds like a $15,000 civic) and had some wind noise from the right rear fixed window...new seal ordered but I have not taken the car in for replacement. Also have the infamous rattle from the right side of the rear deck speaker at various temperatures.

I do recall a burning rubber smell during the first few hundred miles when my car was brand new (2 months ago). Might be stuff burning off of the exhaust. The trunk lid is vertical when open....lift the lid slowly when wet so not to dump quantities of water sittting on the top of the lid onto the back window which then shoots into the open trunk. I've had this problem on my last car (BMW) which also had the same style hinges.

Car has nice ammenities, runs great, tracks incredibly well, is fast, very stable, and is fun to drive. I typically lease new vehicles if good deals are available and decide after three year whether to return or buy....kind of like a three year test drive.

Last edited by financeman; 10-05-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You're kidding, right? Lemon law? You have to go to the dealer several times for the same problem, and not have it fixed during X amount of visits, depending on the state law specifics. And then, there are some states that have special clauses for life-threatening issues like brakes and drivetrain stuff.

It sounds like you only have two real issues, neither of them life threatening and both relatively minor. Good luck with this lemon law bidness. The other things you mention aren't even problems, they are more like observations of design flaws or functions of the car. Seriously, relax, get the dealer to look at the radio and the pedal and the smell. Relax.
The following users liked this post:
omonline (06-22-2013)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the red light is supposed to blink when you're not driving it. it's a deterrent to would-be thieves.
The following users liked this post:
omonline (06-22-2013)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:28 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, that trunk "issue" your having applies to even the coupe models. Not sure about sedan, but when I open up my coupe trunk, water tends to get in.. I hate it, but its simply a poor design.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Leslee52

Thanks for all your responses.

Frankly, I expect a new car in this price range to have almost no problems, except a couple of small things that can be fixed easily. Not serious accelerator problems, and what seems to be at least one electrical problem (the radio and the starting issue). That's too much on a new car.

In my State, the pedal problem alone is considered a serious safety issue, and only requires one visit to fix it prior to getting Lemon Law relief. Not that I want that. Obviously, I want a brand new car in near perfect working condition. As it is, I can't drive the car at all.

The car is at the dealer and if they can fix it with no residual problems, I would love to keep it. I leased it because I loved the way it drove and the amenities, as well as my previous experience with my G20, which had absolutely no problems, rattles, shakes, etc. etc. in more than 10 years.

I came on here and posted to find out if others were having the same problems with their G37x.

Thanks again for your feedback. And I love all the info on here. It's a great resource.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 AM
beerme986

you have a long way to go for it to be a lemon case. trust me, I'm in one now. you have to start going to dealer for all this before a lemon law lawyer will take your case.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
maybe you should go back to the dealership to have them diagnose all the problems instead of going onto the forums. something does not sound right with your car at all.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Leslee52

So, this morning the dealer calls and tells me, they can't find anything wrong with my car. The service guy, who I have been dealing with for years, apologized profusely to me (he agreed with me when he drove the car on Monday evening), and said that I am going to have to deal with the service manager when I pick up the car.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have never heard of these problems you mention in any other case in this forum. better bring it back to the dealer.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Leslee52

Originally Posted by cvroom
i have never heard of these problems you mention in any other case in this forum. better bring it back to the dealer.
I did and this morning they told me there was nothing wrong with the car.

Thanks everyone for your help. I think that I am going to try to have someone else besides the dealer look at the car.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
radio problem - are you sure it's not your speed sensitive volumn turning it down lower when you slow down?

accelerator problem - never heard of that.

starting problem - are you pressing on the brake and not releasing it until the car starts? I've done this a few times where I go through the process in a hurry and release the brake before I actually started the car, therefore, nothing. have to do it again.

security light - supposed to do that. are you going to complain about that blinking red light if you had an aftermarket alarm installed?

water in trunk - seriously, every car will drip water in the trunk when you open it after it's been raining. as will some water when you open your door or windows when your car is wet. thats like saying "omg, wind came in my car and messed up my hair when i opened the sunroof".
Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by sniper27
radio problem - are you sure it's not your speed sensitive volumn turning it down lower when you slow down?

starting problem - are you pressing on the brake and not releasing it until the car starts? I've done this a few times where I go through the process in a hurry and release the brake before I actually started the car, therefore, nothing. have to do it again.

security light - supposed to do that. are you going to complain about that blinking red light if you had an aftermarket alarm installed?

water in trunk - seriously, every car will drip water in the trunk when you open it after it's been raining. as will some water when you open your door or windows when your car is wet. thats like saying "omg, wind came in my car and messed up my hair when i opened the sunroof".
I agree with everything you posted accept the last part. The OP was referring to all the water running off of the trunk lid and into the trunk. I have yet to experience this with the car, but have heard the complaint before. Some cars do better than others at keeping the water from running off into the trunk.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
Sounds like he accidently turned snow mode on.

Quick Reply: New 2010 G37x--Is this model a lemon?