G37 Sedan

New 2010 G37x--Is this model a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Sounds like he accidently turned snow mode on.
oh yeah, forgot about that. i did that once in a FX rental. thought i broke the car.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Warp37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard of an entire "model" being a "lemon". "Lemon", afaik, refers to an individual vehicle. If the entire model line sux, then it sux. The G37x does not suck. So, you may have a lemon. I sure don't.

Time to visit the dealer.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Leslee52

Thanks again to everyone. Here is the result.

The tips on being sure to keep my foot on the brake until the car is definitely started cured that problem.

The burning smell is supposed to be just because its new (as you guys said).

The radio is not having to do with the speed, but since I don't need it cranked up to the top, I will just set it at a higher level and keep it there (I do use the speed control of it and love that).

The flow of water into the trunk is a design issue (as several of you have said).

The accelerator needed to be adjusted and I am still not sure that it is not a sensor issue long run, but we will see.

In any case, I am back on the road and generally happy. If the accelerator situation does not deteriorate again I will be more than just happy.

All the tips really helped out.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
rehtea

I'm just totally amazed by some of these problems that people have posted on this forum. I haven't had any of these sorts of problems, and think that's more the norm. things like burning smell? that's just ridiculous. Even cheaper Nissan models don't have such issues. Makes me wonder if some people here are truly G37 owners. They could be working for say, BMW, and posting here just to spread bad false rumors. guess we'll never know..
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems like most of the problems I've seen are common across the board....assorted rattles and wind noise, road noise, rough transmission, and various minor design flaws like cold start noise and the need to use ester oil. From time to time a few other things pop up, but not too many.

In case of the OP, there might also be a lack of familiarity with the car probably due to a poor dealer delivery process. I don't see a conspiracy...just a less than perfect car. Check out Bimmerfest....many of our problems are minor in comparison. Very few people on this board have been left stranded by their G.

That said, I am disappointed that my car has wind noise from the rear fixed glass and a rattle from the rear deck; defects common to many....Come on Infiniti, these defects were indicated in the 2009 model year and should have been very minor/easy to fix but was not addressed as of my 04/2010 build date. That's really unacceptable!!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i noticed the wind noise from the rear glass also. thought my window was open the other day when I turned my radio off.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rehtea
I'm just totally amazed by some of these problems that people have posted on this forum. I haven't had any of these sorts of problems, and think that's more the norm. things like burning smell? that's just ridiculous. Even cheaper Nissan models don't have such issues. Makes me wonder if some people here are truly G37 owners. They could be working for say, BMW, and posting here just to spread bad false rumors. guess we'll never know..
Read any message board and you'll see people complaining about all sorts of things. As for the burning smell, dealers have always told me to expect a burning smell for the first week or so as coatings applied at the factory are burned off.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had zero problems with my 2010 sedan. That is the reason I opted for a G37, versus a BMW 335i.
The only thing I have experienced that is remotely like one of your complaints is when I open the trunk after a heavy rain. I open it slower and do get a few drops in the trunk. Not I like your description of all the water running in to the trunk.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 AM
rehtea

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Read any message board and you'll see people complaining about all sorts of things. As for the burning smell, dealers have always told me to expect a burning smell for the first week or so as coatings applied at the factory are burned off.
what coatings? where on the car are they applied? and why would any manufacturer put on coatings just to have it burn off? It just doesn't make any sense. Maybe the new brakes could give off some smell, but if you could smell your brakes inside your car, something is seriously wrong. The only smell I got was the "new car smell".
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what coatings? where on the car are they applied? and why would any manufacturer put on coatings just to have it burn off? It just doesn't make any sense. Maybe the new brakes could give off some smell, but if you could smell your brakes inside your car, something is seriously wrong. The only smell I got was the "new car smell".
Then either a) your car had been driven more than most new cars before you picked it up, or b) your nose is broken.

Mine had the same smell, and it went away in a week or two. It doesn't smell like it's going to bust into flames and explode - it's just a faint smell of burning rubber when standing outside the car near the engine bay. It's not something you notice when driving.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Read this thread: Smell from Engine Compartment During Break-in https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-break-in.html,
that correctly notes, "That smell is the cosmoline (spelling?) type coating that is spayed on the drive line components to protect from corrosion during shipping. Remember, our cars are shipped to the states by boat and sit at port for a while."
Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DocJohn
Read this thread: Smell from Engine Compartment During Break-in https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-break-in.html,
that correctly notes, "That smell is the cosmoline (spelling?) type coating that is spayed on the drive line components to protect from corrosion during shipping. Remember, our cars are shipped to the states by boat and sit at port for a while."
Yeah this. It's the anti-corrosion coating applied at the factory. It often gets on the exhaust system and engine. That's why you get the buring smell as it burns off.

Any vehicle shipped overseas will have it applied but I've found that many cars shipped within North America have it applied as well. I guess it's "better safe than sorry" measure.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 10-07-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM
cvroom

Originally Posted by financeman

That said, I am disappointed that my car has wind noise from the rear fixed glass a
if this is the wind noise that is heard at 60+ somebody on the forum traced it to the sunroof. i do notice if i vent the sun roof i dont hear the noise anymore. the poster said the dealer couldnt fix it i think.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the same car about 10 days ago and have noticed a burning smell on occasion while driving. I didn't worry about it too much as I assumed it was because it's new, hopefully that's the case.

I find the gear changes at low speed can be really clumsy sometimes, not sure what the deal is. Sometimes it just thumps heavily into gear, and the car lurches like you got rear-ended. I've read elsewhere something about how the car learns your driving style and adjusts over time, but I'm not sure if that's true. I'm not sure what it needs to learn when your travelling at 15mph just touching the accelerator. I'll give it time though and see how it goes.

As the OP mentioned, the audio system isn't very good, I'd go further and say it's quite poor, particularly considering it's supposed to be premium.

Overall though it's a nice car, comfortable and stunningly quick.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
if this is the wind noise that is heard at 60+ somebody on the forum traced it to the sunroof. i do notice if i vent the sun roof i dont hear the noise anymore. the poster said the dealer couldnt fix it i think.
I was able to isolate mine to the back fixed glass by sealing with duct tape. Also, the glass is actually loose in the seal. Thank you for the idea however.

Quick Reply: New 2010 G37x--Is this model a lemon?