Inside Line G25 Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were in charge...

1. Offer a Turbo-4 with at least 25/32 MPG rating
2. No cost option to get this engine configuration instead of the 3.7L
3. Offer all options. 6MT, AWD, Navi, Premium, Tech, etc.
4. Call it the G20t :-) Just like old times

For the price of a G25, I'd buy a loaded Maxima. I'd rather have a better car than a better drivetrain layout, especially if I'm never going to take advantage of it, as most owners of a G25 will never do.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SpartanG37S
If I were in charge...

1. Offer a Turbo-4 with at least 25/32 MPG rating
2. No cost option to get this engine configuration instead of the 3.7L
3. Offer all options. 6MT, AWD, Navi, Premium, Tech, etc.
4. Call it the G20t :-) Just like old times

For the price of a G25, I'd buy a loaded Maxima. I'd rather have a better car than a better drivetrain layout, especially if I'm never going to take advantage of it, as most owners of a G25 will never do.
why would they develop a new engine to fit on a platform that will be changed in a few years anyways? The 2.5L V6 has been out in Japan and other countries for years already.
The only volume luxury automaker with a turbo 4-cyl is a damn Audi A4 2.0T
Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I don't think I've ever seen a BMW 323i or 328i with navigation. ABout half of the 335i I seedon't have navigation either.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by da mayor
why would they develop a new engine to fit on a platform that will be changed in a few years anyways? The 2.5L V6 has been out in Japan and other countries for years already.
It'd be pretty easy to carry over the new engine to the next gen model.

The only volume luxury automaker with a turbo 4-cyl is a damn Audi A4 2.0T
Acura RDX
Audi A4/A5
Buick Regal
Volvo S40/S60 (5 cylinder)

I'm sure I could dig for more, but you get the point.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I don't think I've ever seen a BMW 323i or 328i with navigation. ABout half of the 335i I seedon't have navigation either.
Very good point. When I worked at a BMW dealer a few years ago, we rarely had a 325i or 328i with nav in inventory. The question that remains: Is this because of the stigma behind idrive or the hump in the dash? Many people dont like the former two things. With the G already being prepped for nav, I really dont see a reason not to at least offer it.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM
MSCA
Banned

For years, BMW factory nav completely sucked. For whatever reasons, the German cars were way behind Japanese cars when it came to navigation. Hell, I remember my old '01 Acura with factory navi when I was using a single DVD and my brother's new Mercedes still have like 8 CD-ROMs to cover the entire U.S.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by baksdak
Very good point. When I worked at a BMW dealer a few years ago, we rarely had a 325i or 328i with nav in inventory. The question that remains: Is this because of the stigma behind idrive or the hump in the dash? Many people dont like the former two things. With the G already being prepped for nav, I really dont see a reason not to at least offer it.
I think it's becuase most people buying a 323i or 328i are buying it for the BMW badge and not the features. They're looking to get an "affordable" BMW which means as few options as possible.

It's not just BMW, I've seen a lot of cars wthat have navigation as an option with Garmin or TomTom units on the dash. Lots of people don't see any benefit in spending the $1,500 - $3,000 to get an integrated unit.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creepers
.....i bet it's lighter and more fun to drive on most roads.
Not a chance the 25 will be anything near as fun to drive as the 37....not now, not ever. Personally, I'm not thrilled at the introduction of the 25. It's the new low-end C-class...which made for way too many entry-level Benzo's on the road. To me, offering a low-end economy option kind of weakens Infiniti's "luxury" branding that brought me to the them in the first place. I think they should be putting more emphasis on further refinement of their current models vs. introducing new lines.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
carz

Originally Posted by da mayor
you can add navi in the G25, just as a dealer installed option, not from the factory.

you will be suprised how many people don't need the full premium package -- i will say 40% of clients just want bluetooth, back up camera, and heated seats... moonroof isn't even a must.

I wish they made the rear sonar sensors b/c people like that too.
the navi is a dealer installed option? is it the FULL navi system? doesnt it require a whole different wiring harness and what not?

i wonder how many people will be turned away from infiniti because of the lack of package options
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by carz
the navi is a dealer installed option? is it the FULL navi system? doesnt it require a whole different wiring harness and what not?

i wonder how many people will be turned away from infiniti because of the lack of package options
It's literally pulg and play. You just need to buy the navi unit and antenna and plug it into the harness. From what I understand the navi and non navi cars use the same harness
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by MOB
Not a chance the 25 will be anything near as fun to drive as the 37....not now, not ever.
Why not? A lot of supposed "entry level" cars are more fun to drive than their more powerful counterparts.

And don't forget about the whole "usable power" thing either. From what I've experienced, really powerful cars just aren't as much fun to drive on the road simply because you have much less opportunity to actually use their power. My best friend owns a modded Supra Turbo. I've driven in in stock form and after every single modification he made. We were just talking about this the other day and we both agreed that the car was a lot more fun to drive on the street in stock form than it is now with the extra power. So I can see how someone might think that a G25 would be more fun to drive than a G37.

I recently drove an Audi A5 with the 2.0 turbo motor and it was an absolute blast to drive, despite having just over 200 HP. It's not as powerful as my G37, but it's just as much fun to drive, if not more fun. The only thing that pushed me towards the G37 is the poor reliability factor of Audi. If Audi's reliability was better, I would definitely be driving an A5 today rather than a G37 coupe.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
not to mention the power to torque ratio of Audi's turbo engine with the DSG tranny is simply amazing. I've never driven a car with a smoother and faster shifting tranny.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:23 PM
mike904

Regardless, we need to make sure MyG37.com is not changed to myg25&g37.com
Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 PM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by mike904
Regardless, we need to make sure MyG37.com is not changed to myg25&g37.com
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM
jtla

I've seen a lot of cars wthat have navigation as an option with Garmin or TomTom units on the dash. Lots of people don't see any benefit in spending the $1,500 - $3,000 to get an integrated unit.
Yeah, especially when most functions are disabled as soon as the car starts moving.

Quick Reply: Inside Line G25 Review