G37 Sedan

Just got rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gee wiz
Good points provided by BLKG37X. In addition, get a good reflective eyeshot down all surfaces, looking for imperfections. Then take a garden hose with a nozzle and hit all areas around the trunk lip and lights. Open the trunk and look for moisture. It's better to do it immediately, rather than wait to have damage after a strong rainstorm to goods you might store in the trunk. Speaking from experience...
Good advice. Will try when I get it back, whenever that might be. In my experience with this shop, it will probably be 4-5 weeks at least.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Amon_Ra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FourT2
That includes labor. But they can't really know if anything else is wrong, 12K is just based on their observations of the exterior. Once they start tearing it down, they may find more issues. The shop uses only OEM parts. I won't settle for anything else.
pretty sure thats what was used on my repair...i was more concerned about the paint match...but it came out fine

hope everything goes well
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Amon_Ra

Originally Posted by FourT2
Good advice. Will try when I get it back, whenever that might be. In my experience with this shop, it will probably be 4-5 weeks at least.
are u getting the insurance check or they sending it to the shop? my repair to 3 weeks pretty much...why 4-5 weeks for hood, bumper, and assuming both rear quarter panels?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 PM
SCBLKG37

figures backward south carolina does acknowledge a diminished value claim.....good ol boy state
Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 PM
FourT2

Originally Posted by Amon_Ra
are u getting the insurance check or they sending it to the shop? my repair to 3 weeks pretty much...why 4-5 weeks for hood, bumper, and assuming both rear quarter panels?
They are getting paid directly by insurance. They are one of the better shops around here, but tend to take long. I don't mind if they do a good job. They fixed up my old car very well few years ago, sure it was a crap car but it came out looking very good.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. A lot of good advise on this thread. This type of situation is why I typically lease new cars and then decide at lease end if I want to retain ownership. Assuming a good lease (which is not always possible)...the cost of a lease over a purchase is the lease inception fee. Accordingly to Infiniti lease documents, there is no mention of diminished value of loss of value charges....provide the repairs are well done in a good workmanship like manner. Diminished value claims are not recognized in my state (Kansas) and therefore in a situation like your's, the valuation loss is on the owner. Such losses are real if you decide to sell in the first five or six years of ownership. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 AM
gooddeal

I got a similar rear-ended on my 3 months old '07 but my trunk and lights was o.k. The total came out about 7K. 5k labor and about 1.9k parts.

I guess it's 10-12k for your car.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
FourT2

So I got an Altima as a loaner car today. Not horrible (actually some parts remind me of my car), but I miss my G so much. Can't wait to get it back.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:55 PM
4wheelkillr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with it all. DOV claims can be tricky. You need to prove that your car lost value and that's tough to do. There really isn't any way to get a bunch of previously wrecked 09s next to unwrecked 09s and see what the difference in value is. Your dealer will also tell you its less in value because their job is to low-ball the trade. The less they give you on trade the more money they make on the sale. And in most states they only have to disclose title issues such as re-built salvage vehicles, they don't have to disclose that it's been in an accident. In that case a lot of cars are sold on lots that have been in accidents and the next purchaser has no idea.

As far as damage, unless you're paying the bill you don't really have a choice on parts. If the insurance carrier pays the bills, they choose what parts go on but only within industry standards. If you want OEM parts only then you'll pay the difference. Luckily however because of the age and type of car there won't be a lot of oem-style aftermarket and used parts out there anyway, so you might just end up with all OEM anyway.

With the C-pillars buckled it sounds like the frame rails are also buckled. The 1/4s are part of uni-body structure and to bend that far forward and high up i'd bet you have rear frame rail as well as rear floor pan damage. Anything is repairable...it just depends on the cost of repairs versus the value of the car.

Hope it turns out well for you.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:52 PM
mahig37x

Hi folks, my 2010 G37x got rear-ended today . Its a similar kind of damage that happenned to FourT2's G. It was a truck that hit the rear and the guy escaped. I was able to note the number. I've informed the cops and the insurance guys.

Do you think I would be successful in diminished value claim? If so, could you please let me know how should I proceed ( whom to contact etc.)
Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 AM
FourT2

Originally Posted by mahig37x
Hi folks, my 2010 G37x got rear-ended today . Its a similar kind of damage that happenned to FourT2's G. It was a truck that hit the rear and the guy escaped. I was able to note the number. I've informed the cops and the insurance guys.

Do you think I would be successful in diminished value claim? If so, could you please let me know how should I proceed ( whom to contact etc.)
Because the a-hole escaped you are going to need to file an uninsured driver claim with your own insurance. From what I know, you cant file a diminished value claim against your own insurance company in most states.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:48 AM
FourT2

GOT MY CAR BACK YESTERDAY!

The guys at Bel-Red Auto Rebuild in Bellevue, WA did a pretty good job I think. They had to custom order self-healing clear coat (Glasurit, one of those prescribed by Infiniti for refinishing) and it took almost 3 months due to delays with insurance companies, waiting for parts, and the town shutting down for a few days due to whole two inches of snow. But its back. I am making a list of small defects that they missed in their QC, but overall it is looking pretty sharp. Didn't notice anything abnormal in the handling so far, but I only had it for a day.

One thing I noticed is the Service Engine Soon light that is always on. The manual says it should turn off after a few trips. I checked the gas cap and it is closed all the way. I drove about 30 miles so far, about 6 trips. When will it turn off? Anyone has any experience with that?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 PM
TomsG37

^ Looks great! I'd take it to a shop with a scanner and have the codes read.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
azndrgnkid

Ouch...poor car. Sorry to hear about it. The car looks great now that it's back, so congrat's.

I never understand why people follow too closely to a car in front and tailgate. It's just an accident waiting to happen. Does it really get anyone to their destination any quicker? These people seems to think so and it baffles me.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 PM
danno62

Originally Posted by azndrgnkid
Ouch...poor car. Sorry to hear about it. The car looks great now that it's back, so congrat's.

I never understand why people follow too closely to a car in front and tailgate. It's just an accident waiting to happen. Does it really get anyone to their destination any quicker? These people seems to think so and it baffles me.
Yes, it does. By following at a 5 foot interval instead of 50 feet....the following car would get there quicker over the last non-stop distance. Now if that were say, 1/4 of a mile, at say 35 mph, they would have 45 feet less to travel or 1275 feet instead of 1320 feet. At 35 mph, that would get them there 0.0002435 seconds faster. However, I agree with you, that isn't worth risking an accident....in a car, but if you're like my wife, it might help fight their Small Bladder Disease problem....when ya got to go, ya got to go.

Quick Reply: Just got rear-ended