G37 Sedan

Keeping Car Scratch Free....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:00 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinG35
Try to park your car as far out as possible in a corner spot in the least amount of walkway traffic.
This is good but there are fools around who like to screw with people who have a beautiful car and they will single you out. Some F#$# did it to my wife at her work and she could barely open her door. their car was parked inches from it even though the whole row of the parking lot was empty. Now I just try to find end spots so i only have to worry about one car parking next to me. i will give as much room as i can away from the other stall.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in a windy part of the world (Kansas), and I have learned to always park with the nose of the car facing the wind. I've experienced my worst door dings when someone next to me looses control of the car door in the wind.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Gobbler Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No matter the car, you will get scratches and dings. Fact of life. It just hurts more when it is our Gs.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very true u will get scratches... about 3 months ago i had my car parked outside my house and over night some punks came by and threw an egg at my window and the egg ran all down my driver side door. i took it to the car wash and got it all off and it looks good now but you can still see where the egg ran down my door if you look at it at a certain angle. is there anyway to remove this? wax job eventually to buff it out? its been about 3 or 4 months now since its happened.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 AM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinG35
Wash and wax frequently.

Always be mindful of what is around your car.
+1 This is crucial.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Karlsbad

Angry fingernail / key scratches around door handles

I have all black cars and can't stand fingernail or dangling keys (both from wife) scratches behind and around the door handles. Found this pretty good blog post with a decent technique to make em look sweet again.
removing scratches around door handles
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
john6mt

Plasti-dip the whole car!

lol jk.

I have clearbra and claybar wax/polish the paint every so often and your paint will look very new. little fine scratches come from regular washing from rubbing dirt with the wash cloth etc. waxing is the best you can do with those. Also a lot of people dont wax their clear bra, supposedly it will keep it looking new and scratch free.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
john6mt

Oh btw I got the part behind the door handles clear bra'd too so no scratches there
Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
pro-gadgeter

As much as it gets me pissed, its a fact of life. Couple of months ago a construction cone fell in front of me on the highway and i hit. I was seriously depressed. and then i slightly rear ended some idiot who decided to slam the brakes. Its part of owning a car. My uncle has S550, and he has scratches too.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
very true u will get scratches... about 3 months ago i had my car parked outside my house and over night some punks came by and threw an egg at my window and the egg ran all down my driver side door. i took it to the car wash and got it all off and it looks good now but you can still see where the egg ran down my door if you look at it at a certain angle. is there anyway to remove this? wax job eventually to buff it out? its been about 3 or 4 months now since its happened.
The egg probably etched the clearcoat. You can minimize this (round the edges of the etching) by machine polishing. If it just looks a bit cloudy, it might polish out completely.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not driving it...

it's impossible man. you can not get hit by a single rock... but there are particulates in the air as you're driving down a highway just whipping against your paint. same goes when you wash your car.

i mean you can protect your finish with a clear bra but the clear bra can scratch as well.

so no there's nothing you can do to prevent micro-scratches. you can minimize them through through car detailing but that'll be taking stuff off your clear coat to do so.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
not driving it...

it's impossible man. you can not get hit by a single rock... but there are particulates in the air as you're driving down a highway just whipping against your paint. same goes when you wash your car.

i mean you can protect your finish with a clear bra but the clear bra can scratch as well.

so no there's nothing you can do to prevent micro-scratches. you can minimize them through through car detailing but that'll be taking stuff off your clear coat to do so.
^this. I've owned quite a few cars since the VOC requirements for paint were tightened up to the point where getting good factory paint is harder & harder to find. Hyundai is one of the very few that have stepped up and improved their paint process and if you look at any 2009 Hyundai and compare it with a 2009 Infiniti it's like night&day. One of my friends has a 2009 Hyundai Veracruz and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor w/ 20 k more miles than my G, my 2009 Black G looks like it got dumped on by a load of rock salt falling from a 20 story building. I've got at least 40 chips in the hood and various crap along the lower sides. I've never seen paint as fragile as Infinitis, my 07 G was just as bad. Pretty pathetic & unacceptable in a $35-40k car IMO. I won't be buying another one if the paint quality isn't improved.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
^this. I've owned quite a few cars since the VOC requirements for paint were tightened up to the point where getting good factory paint is harder & harder to find. Hyundai is one of the very few that have stepped up and improved their paint process and if you look at any 2009 Hyundai and compare it with a 2009 Infiniti it's like night&day. One of my friends has a 2009 Hyundai Veracruz and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor w/ 20 k more miles than my G, my 2009 Black G looks like it got dumped on by a load of rock salt falling from a 20 story building. I've got at least 40 chips in the hood and various crap along the lower sides. I've never seen paint as fragile as Infinitis, my 07 G was just as bad. Pretty pathetic & unacceptable in a $35-40k car IMO. I won't be buying another one if the paint quality isn't improved.
It's interesting that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Hyundai owner forums have as much, if not more, complaints about their paint quality as some Infiniti owners do:

GC paint issues - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Clear bra will help greatly with chips and dingd. Using a good sealant on a good film will prevent scratches from accumulating on the clear bra.

Also one of the major sources of swirl marks in paint is when people dry their cars with towels. Use a leaf blower instead and the will greatly reduce swirl marks from happening and will make the drying process much easier.