G37 Sedan

Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
slickrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hottoddyg37
Financeman, that is exactly what I have on my car, road noise being generated on hard or rough surfaces coming from the front end. I would add that the newer the road surface, the louder the road noise is. I am sure that it is also largely a matter of expectaions and an issue that starts out and just gets worse. Possibly, I was so enamored with the G37 performance at the time of purcahse that I did not notice the road noise. But, my test drive took place on a concrete Interstate, and when I drive on a concrete road now, it is very loud. My OEM Goodyear tires immediately cuppe (at 1,800 miles) and the car became louder and louder to me until at 16,000 miles I was ready for some new tires.

I checked out the Kumho LX Platinum tires (as mentioned aboveby Slickrick) on Tire Rack's website, and while they were indeed highly rated for having low noise, the other tires which they were compared to (including the Michelin MXV4) were not far behind in quietness. I am beginning to agree with Financeman (reluctantly) that a tire change will probably not solve my situaton. Then again, any decrease in unwanted db may help just enough. I just hate to throw away my new $800 Michelins, which drive and handle just great.

I will try to find out how the M series handle road noise, as suggested above.

I wonder if all of the aluminum suspension pieces on the G37 let a lot of road noise through? More so than some other cars with steel suspension parts?
The previous M's were noted by car mags and consumer reports for more road noise compared to other vehicles in its class.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM
hottoddyg37

I will try the lower tire pressures. That is easy enough to do. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
we have an 08 M also with the original Goodyears still on the car. Roadnoise is comparable to the G.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Get a Fast Intentions exhaust. That will help...
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 AM
hottoddyg37

Ha, Ha. I have thought about putting a louder exhaust system on the car. That is some more noise that I can stand.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM
areyoojordan

This is a great car. From the engine to the body. But sitting in the driver's seat and driving with all this noise, i feel like im in my old 2010 Civic. I really thought infiniti was a luxury brand with top quality, but I'm not halfway satisfied when I'm driving. Im at 4500 miles and i have rattles coming from everywhere in the whole damn car, coming left and right and front to back, I cant even pinpoint one since theres so many.

G37 was once my dream car.
Lexus or Bmw? Definitely a choice for me.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Infiniti is not known for refinement, but I haven't experienced any rattles or high level of road noise since I bought my car 18 months ago.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM
hottoddyg37

Don't give up yet on the G37. See the post from Financeman above. I am experimenting with lowering the air pressure in the tires. I am at 32 psi now (in 74 degrees ambient temperature) and thought today that I could notice a decrease in the road noise. I live in South Georgia, and we will soon be in the 60's for low temps, so the 32 psi will become 31 psi and maybe it will get another decrease in the road noise. I don't have much patience, so I may not wait for the temp to drop and may lower the psi some more tomorrow morning. The sidewalls do not look like my tires are underinflated at all at 32psi. I also thought that the car rode better than before the decrease in tire psi. Decreasing the tire pressure may not be that good for 155 mph, but it may be okay for the short bursts to 80, 90, or 100 that I do.

I would be willing to bet that if your tires are overinflated, you could get rattles in the car. Take a tire check and see what your cold tire pressure is. I really don't care if my tire pressure gets to 30 psi if it allows me keep my G37.

Areyoojordan, what model G37 do you have? I have a 2009 G37 journey sedan which should be the easiest riding G37 there is. I am with you on this; either my car has to get better riding and less noisy or I will be in the same lineup for a different car that you mentioned. Let us know what you find out about the tire pressure. Financeman may be onto a fix for people like us that cannot stand all of that noise.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 AM
nrp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was another member that decided to take his fender liner off and add a layer of sound deadening to the top side (so you dont see it when the liner is put back in). He reported that road noise was greatly reduced.

i know it takes effort, but its a solution if you really want to take care of road noise from the tires. The road noise is just gonna get worse as the tires wear so it might be worth thinking about.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM
hottoddyg37

nrp: This is a good suggestion. I will certainly try this. Can you find out what sound deadener the other member used?

My lowering of tire pressures is having some effect, but is not completely solving the problem by any means. The ride is improving, but the steering and handling does not seem quite as sharp with the decreased psi in the tires. I rode around with 31 psi in the tires today. My night time ambient temps will be in the 50's in a day or two, and I will be at 30 psi in the tires. One problem is that where I live, the temps have a big range from night to day, sometimes as much as 30 degrees at certain times of the year, and quite often a difference of low to high temps of 20 degrees a day. So, that could keep the tire pressure lowering procedure from having an easily recognizable effect.

The fender liner project is very interesting to me, and since most of my road noise seems to come from the front end of the car, I think that I will try the sound deadener there first. Dynamat seems to be the best sound deadener product that I have heard of so far.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
nrp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decreasing road noise - G35Driver

Sorry, but he didnt provide a write-up or any pictures.

I dont think you have to use the same products or technique he did, just adding any sort of sound deadening to above the wheel wells will probably help. Dynomax is very $$$, you can probably find some cheaper peel and stick stuff that will work just as well.

Adding sound deadening anywhere in your car helps reduce road noise. You can take the carpet out add it to the floor pans too. It just takes time and effort, and can cost a lot depending on your material choice.

I wouldnt mind adding it to my wheel wells though.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
hottoddyg37

NRP: Thanks for the link to the G35Driver thread. Second Skin Audio and Dynamat (and probably others that I don't know about) seem to be on top of the noise issue, and have the products to solve it. Most of my noise appears to be coming from my wheel wells. Installing the deadner material is a little more work than I was planning on, but it is doable. I will make the time to do it. I think that I will call the companies to see which of their products they recommend for my job. I have two people who think that they want to buy my car, but I would very much prefer to fix this road noise issue and drive on. I don't mind tinkering with things to make them work better. Thanks for the great advice on this thread. I hope that I can return the favor one day.