G37 Sedan

An interesting rattle when reach 4.5K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Gobbler Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting rattle when reach 4.5K RPM

I have noticed lately that I will have a rattle that comes from the dash area. It seems to be behind the dash, somewhere in the middle. It has not always been there probably for about the past three months (six months old).

There are a couple of things about it that seem interesting to me.
  • The rattle will only happen when I get around or above the 4.5K RPM range.
  • It seems to only happen when the car is started.
  • It does not seem to matter how warm the engine is. I can start the car first thing in the morning. Get it to rattle. Drive for 30 miles, it will stop. Park for a couple of minutes. The rattle will be there again. Drive for 30 miles, it will be gone again.
  • It only seems to happen when I am in Auto mode. I dont notice it in DS or Manual.
  • It does not matter what kind of road I am on. Smooth, rough, etc.
I have had several rattles on the car. Most of them have gone away and are not even a problem anymore. What I am concerned about is, and since I am not a car engine person, could there be a problem with the engine here? Are there any known problems that would make sense, outside of just a random rattle? Like for example...(and mind you this is just an example that might not make any sense)...could a valve be missed up, causing the noise.

Thanks, Charlie.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 PM
slimlma04

try listening to music a little louder....na jus kidden, take it to the dealer see what they say, ur under warranty
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a TSB out for silicone debris from the heater core rattling above 3k rpms in some cars. It sounds like a loud rattle coming from approximately the middle of the dash. However, you should be able to easily reproduce the rattle by going into manual mode and keeping the RPMs high. If that's not the case, something else is going on.

If it is the heater core, then they will simply flush the system until they get the debris out.

Make sure you don't have something in the glove box, sunglass holder, etc. that rattles at certain engine frequencies. The last time I chased a rattle around the cabin, I found that one of the suction cups on my toll transponder had come loose.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
audiotechnica

You might have what my 2009 G37x has developed - a rattling shifter button.

Keep your finger on the shifter button (yes, on the shifter lever) and get up to 4.5k RPM. You will feel the button vibrate heavily, and if you let go of it, it will rattle. Just something you'll have to get used to, mine started doing it after about a year...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Gobbler Man

Ok. I will look for the TSB and try holding the shifter ****.

I dont think it is the shifter **** since it sounds more muffled like it is coming from behind the dash. It also seems to go away as the car warms up.

I will post with updates the next time I get to test the car out.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Gobbler Man

I took the car to the dealer to have them look at this "issue". They said that it was normal operation. Noted the noise as the "ABS Actuator Self Check". So, does anybody know if this seems reasonable or not?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My car has a rattle too, not sure the same you mentioned.

Somewhere behind the dash, comes between 3.5k - 4k rpms. Not everytime though.

I will get it checked with the dealer and update.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gobbler Man
I took the car to the dealer to have them look at this "issue". They said that it was normal operation. Noted the noise as the "ABS Actuator Self Check". So, does anybody know if this seems reasonable or not?
I think you need to bring the car back and be more clear with the service department. I'm 100% sure that the ABS actuator doesn't self-check every time you get the car to 4.5k rpms. Be clear with them that this happens while the car is in motion, and happens repeatedly every time you get to 4.5k rpms for an extended period of time. It might not be a bad idea to take a ride with the SA or a tech and show them what you're talking about.

Last edited by 15951; 10-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.