G37 Sedan

Got into an accident, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got into an accident, need advice

I got crashed into a few days ago. I have damage to the rear fender and bumper. It's almost like the guy who hit me tried to perform something the cops call a pit maneuver on me.

My car is a lease, but I want it fixed right. I was thinking to fix the car at the dealership. I want infiniti paint (might as well have the same crappy paint that covers the rest of the car, I want the car to be scratched and chipped evenly ).

As I was saying this is a lease, and my question is.... if I fix it at infiniti, they will have it their records that the vehicle has been in an accident.... if so, and if the car is fixed properly and there is no sign of damage, will I be penalized for anything when bringing the car back?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM
romansiny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I got crashed into a few days ago. I have damage to the rear fender and bumper. It's almost like the guy who hit me tried to perform something the cops call a pit maneuver on me.

My car is a lease, but I want it fixed right. I was thinking to fix the car at the dealership. I want infiniti paint (might as well have the same crappy paint that covers the rest of the car, I want the car to be scratched and chipped evenly ).

As I was saying this is a lease, and my question is.... if I fix it at infiniti, they will have it their records that the vehicle has been in an accident.... if so, and if the car is fixed properly and there is no sign of damage, will I be penalized for anything when bringing the car back?
You can fix the car at any shop..doesnt have to be infiniti. When you return the car, they really dont care how its fixed, as loong as it looks desent.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
carz

you can have the car fixed anywhere.....as long as its returned looking 100%

you will NOT be penalized for any damages....you will ONLY be penalized if you dont repair it. You will also be penalized if you get it repaired at a shop and they screw it up.

im assuming you are letting insurance pay for this......so just take it to the dealership and get it fixed right.....correct paint and everything.

as far as depreciation is concerned, your lease payments stay the same.....you pay nothing, you get charged nothing, thats the best thing about leasing....you dont have to worry about the value of the car as long as its repaired to their standards
Old 09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by romansiny
You can fix the car at any shop..doesnt have to be infiniti. When you return the car, they really dont care how its fixed, as loong as it looks desent.
Originally Posted by carz
you can have the car fixed anywhere.....as long as its returned looking 100%

you will NOT be penalized for any damages....you will ONLY be penalized if you dont repair it. You will also be penalized if you get it repaired at a shop and they screw it up.

im assuming you are letting insurance pay for this......so just take it to the dealership and get it fixed right.....correct paint and everything.

as far as depreciation is concerned, your lease payments stay the same.....you pay nothing, you get charged nothing, thats the best thing about leasing....you dont have to worry about the value of the car as long as its repaired to their standards
Whether the insurance pays for it, or myself, the dealership won't care right?

I'm just worried about fixing it elsewhere, cause the paint color might be a little off, or have a different texture or gloss. Also I'm going to have this car for another 34 months, and it can be that the repair looks great now, after 34mo, it might be a different story. And infiniti will tear me a new a$$hole. But if they do the fixing... whatever happens, they are responsible.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Even if you fix it at the infiniti dealership, they wont use the original Duplicolor scratch shield clear coat.
Luck's that infiniti supply the clear coat only on demand and the dealers dont whant to wait till they get the original clear coat.
They will use other clear coat that they have in stock to repair the car and give it back to you.
Anyway, in most cases is better than the original one.

If the paint color is well prepared, you wont see any collor difference.
Anyway, check the repainted area from different angles, just to make sure, before you take the car back from the repair shop.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elco
Even if you fix it at the infiniti dealership, they wont use the original Duplicolor scratch shield clear coat.
Luck's that infiniti supply the clear coat only on demand and the dealers dont whant to wait till they get the original clear coat.
They will use other clear coat that they have in stock to repair the car and give it back to you.
Anyway, in most cases is better than the original one.

If the paint color is well prepared, you wont see any collor difference.
Anyway, check the repainted area from different angles, just to make sure, before you take the car back from the repair shop.
There's a big sticker under the hood saying to only use scratch shield paint. I had to have my front fender touched up becuase someone scuffed it in a parking lot and the body shop had no problem getting the scratch shield paint.

To the OP: if you take it to any half decent body shop there should be no problem with matching the color and gloss.

edit: the sticker under my hood looks like this:

Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Bailey'sRide

I think that 2010s do not have scratch shield paint.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
NonAme

2010 don't have it but i think 2011 will have it. idk why they screwed us 2010s
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 PM
rohardi

does the scratch shield paint really work???
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bailey'sRide
I think that 2010s do not have scratch shield paint.
Originally Posted by NonAme
2010 don't have it but i think 2011 will have it. idk why they screwed us 2010s
Oh yeah, he has a 2010. OK so then disregard my post. The 2010s have regular paint. It's the 2009s and 2010s that have the scratch shield paint.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Did anybody ever find out why they took it off of the 2010? And added back again for 2011?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Bailey'sRide

I think that the "scratch shield" for 2011 is a different formula than had previously been used. I guess 2010 is the year off for research, or something.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Tainui

Most dealerships will use an outside body shop for paint anyway. Take it to the dealer and you're protected.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
4wheelkillr

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
... I want infiniti paint ....
Infiniti paint?

This is a very common misconception. There's really no such thing. Every car manufacturer uses a different paint and some manufacturers use different paints depending on the location of the plant and local supply, even on the same models manufactured in different locations.

Then it's even more widely spread between dealerships based on local supply. The bottom line is that any good paint tech should be able to match and blend paint within and outside of damaged panels to get the desired color blending. This is why all cars have paint codes on the door stickers. All manufactures of paint make their paints to match the multitude of codes by manufacturers. Then slight differences such as fade and burn-in are handled by the shop that matches the color through blending.

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter where you go.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by 4wheelkillr
Infiniti paint?

This is a very common misconception. There's really no such thing. Every car manufacturer uses a different paint and some manufacturers use different paints depending on the location of the plant and local supply, even on the same models manufactured in different locations.

Then it's even more widely spread between dealerships based on local supply. The bottom line is that any good paint tech should be able to match and blend paint within and outside of damaged panels to get the desired color blending. This is why all cars have paint codes on the door stickers. All manufactures of paint make their paints to match the multitude of codes by manufacturers. Then slight differences such as fade and burn-in are handled by the shop that matches the color through blending.

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter where you go.
I don't really want them to match or blend anything because the paint is not faded or different in any way than when I got the car. The car is only 5 months old, and I just want infiniti to paint my car with the original factory paint. When I fixed my old car, it was a few years old. I went to a very good and respectable shop. They "blended and matched" the color and it looked like $hit. I was able tell a clear difference.

Quick Reply: Got into an accident, need advice