G37 Sedan

FML !!! I'm Going to vent a bit here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 PM
PKRJKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FML !!! I'm Going to vent a bit here!

I'm so screwed! So let the venting begin. My wife sure dosn't want to hear about it.

Took delivery of my 3rd G sedan (2010 Jrny/prem/sport/navi-GS/Graphite), made a weekend getaway out of it. Drove from south GA to Hilton Head Island, SC - got hooked up in a resort hotel for the fam and everything.

As soon as I got home, started shopping for new rubber to put on the "old" TSW Mondello 20's that I pulled off the '08. Asked all the wheel/tire shops to be sure of fitment.... "No problem - same bolt pattern and offset (40), your good to go!" Great! So i got a pretty sic deal on a set of Nitto NT555 ZR 245/35/20's. Had them before, so i felt pretty confident that they were the best bang for the buck to get me through the next 3 lease years (maybe).

OK. Cut to local wheel/tire shop. New rubber mounted on old set of rims, ready to mount on car..... I start to sweat when the tard with the air gun starts to cram my wheels (wich btw are Hyper black and look GREAT w/ the Graphite Shadow) up against my "big break kit" that apparently is larger than the '08 model. I guess I didnt really notice how much larger the calipers are on the '10 model.... that is until he scars it all up. "WAIT dumass! It aint fittin' right" I tell him in southern drawl.... cuz like I said I'm in south Georgia.

We try spacers, different lug nuts, nothing can give us clearance and enough bite on the lugs to meet "safety" blah blah blah! I call Infiniti, TSW, Discount Tire, Tirebuyer who (might) find it in their heart to refund me my $567, another local wheel expert shop..... same answer.... FML! ALL The fitment guides told me i was good with the 40 offset..... They were wrong!

They do say I can get a spacer kit that will probably offset my wheels so far out that I would be better suited driving at 88mph back to 1992, and have my luxo sedan look like a roller skate!!! (Full disclosure... I had an '87 Prelude with Deep Dish Chrome Hammers, In 19 Freakin' 92)!! But that was then, and that was a Honda.

So Long story short (wait, too late for that) It looks like I have a set of 20" Hyper Black TSW Mondello's for sale and am looking for something to fit over those big *** breaks on my Journey Sport Sedan!!

Any Body? Thanks for letting me vent! I feel better, This was cathardic.

Seriously tho, these wheels must go..... lets talk.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but for the 100th time, offset HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BRAKE CLEARANCE

Maybe we should put it up beside our myG37 logo
Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You should post this story here...

FML: Your everyday life stories
Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I find it hard to believe that no size spacer can make this work. I would think a 10mm-15mm spacer should make just about any wheels clear. Most likely will make the wheels sit where the should anyway, flush not set in. Anyway thats the cheapest solution. If you get good hubcentric spacer and do stud replacements you will not have any problems.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:57 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
these tire shops just don't understand the clearance issue. The spokes just do not have the angle that it needs to clear the Akebono brakes....

yes, the 2008 has the 13" front and rear rotors but the caliper for 2010 is up from a one-piston rotor to a 4-piston.