G37 Sedan

entering map coordinates into navi?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
entering map coordinates into navi?

Hey guys!

My navi cant find the street address/location when entering in an address. Is out navi capable of entering in map coordinates? If so, how?

any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:17 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coordinates as is Longitude and lattitude? Not that I am aware of.

You can move the cursor to a spot on the map and have it navigate to that spot though.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah if the data doesn't exist for the particular area you want just get as close as possible and then use the manual scrolling to pinpoint it and set it as destination.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM
carz

Yes the map IS able to enter map coorinates (Lat and Long).

When you click on DEST button......buttom right corner theres a "next page"....scroll down the list and you'll see the option
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by carz
Yes the map IS able to enter map coorinates (Lat and Long).

When you click on DEST button......buttom right corner theres a "next page"....scroll down the list and you'll see the option
Just for clarification, there is no such option as you describe on my ’08. The only choice I have is to enter the car’s current latitude/longitude via the INFO button, and selecting GPS Satellite Info.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:05 PM
carz

Originally Posted by Chekov
Just for clarification, there is no such option as you describe on my ’08. The only choice I have is to enter the car’s current latitude/longitude via the INFO button, and selecting GPS Satellite Info.
i could have sworn i saw it....maybe its a 2010 feature....ill check when i get home
Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
SindhiStyle

yea I was talking about long and latt. Normally I just find the closest location and put that as my destination, the problem is that it wont even find the street in the city Im looking at. Guess Im going to just have to use google maps for this trip to pittsburgh...
Old 08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
scjconsulting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Set to right map region?

It bothers me that you say your navagation can't find a location by street address. Are you sure your navagation is set up to find locations in the right map region. If you are using the wrong map region, you will never be able to set up your navagation to find the location you want.
This is something that can easily be changed by changing the map regions in the first screen of finding locations.

I can remember when you had to change the CD when you needed to find a location outside of the region the navagation was operating with. This action has really not changed with more modern navagation versions.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by scjconsulting
It bothers me that you say your navagation can't find a location by street address. Are you sure your navagation is set up to find locations in the right map region. If you are using the wrong map region, you will never be able to set up your navagation to find the location you want.
This is something that can easily be changed by changing the map regions in the first screen of finding locations.

I can remember when you had to change the CD when you needed to find a location outside of the region the navagation was operating with. This action has really not changed with more modern navagation versions.

yes def set to the right region/state. Its a building kind of by itself in pittsburgh.

My wife's benz cant find the location either... Google maps it is!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
yea I was talking about long and latt. Normally I just find the closest location and put that as my destination, the problem is that it wont even find the street in the city Im looking at. Guess Im going to just have to use google maps for this trip to pittsburgh...
I can see only a few reasons why you cannot enter a specific street address:

• You have the wrong region displayed, as the last poster suggested (e.g., Michigan is in map US 5, while Pittsburgh, PA is in US 6)
• The specific address is not in the city you entered but is actually in an adjoining city (This happened to me recently.)
• The address is too new to be included in your map version
• The address doesn’t exist

If it’s other than those, a malfunctioning system may be the culprit where a trip to the dealer is warranted.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The maps on or Nav just plain suck and are quite incomplete and dated. I've been in my house 8 years this month and while it shows my street, it has no street name or numbers. The street and subdivision have been here for at least 12 years. It's a medium sized subdivision not out in the sticks.

I recently looked for an address in the Houston area of another street that has been on the maps for a very long time. No luck. Garmin found it instantly. The Navteq POS in my car is hit or miss. The integration is fantastic, the functionality is poor. Find it on Google maps and see if the Nav recognizes a nearby street.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by Chekov
I can see only a few reasons why you cannot enter a specific street address:

• You have the wrong region displayed, as the last poster suggested (e.g., Michigan is in map US 5, while Pittsburgh, PA is in US 6)
• The specific address is not in the city you entered but is actually in an adjoining city (This happened to me recently.)
• The address is too new to be included in your map version
• The address doesn’t exist

If it’s other than those, a malfunctioning system may be the culprit where a trip to the dealer is warranted.
The nav is set in the right region for PA (US 6)

I have tried the city of Pittsburgh as well as the true city's address of Penn Hills.

The place is not new since I have visted this place about 27 years ago.

Thanks for the tip Blackbetty, I found a nearby gas station's address that is only about a mile away, so I should be able to figure it out!