G37 Sedan

Nissan Maxima vs. G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Maximum looks good, but so does a Lexus ES350. It’s just not sports sedan with FWD in my opinion so I would never consider it. I’m probably in minority here as I wouldn’t bother with the AWD G sedan either. It’s heavier and not necessary. A set of winter/wheels and tires will get you through the year and they cost less than AWD. Plus, the AWD is lacking in the sports package.

If I wanted an AWD sports sedan, I would go with Audi.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
328HP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
LOL, here we go again with the AWD G bashing, when will it ever end. The 6MT guys will be joining in to bash the AT guys, then comes the Black on Black guys vs everyone else, then comes Maple wood VS Shodo, then xS vs X, then.....

I love this site
Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

You AWD owners are too sensitive. You are trying to turn this into a debate with your silly comment.

He asked to be talked into a G, so I tried. He also says he preferred RWD so I’m trying to tell him what I did to overcome the issue of all weather driving. A set of winter wheels/tires combined with a RWD sedan is the best of both worlds. No sacrifice is necessary.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
328HP

He got a TL, he is realgone.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 328HP
Acura has admitted their mistake and for 2011 a new beak is coming on board, the old one is out. Whether that will improve sales is another matter but I know a lot of Acura fans have abandoned ship.
Look at their entire line-up, I don't think they have. The MDX used to look really good until they put that ugly shield on it.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
marjen

Since I have been driving both the Max and the G lately, what exactly am I supposed to be missing wit the Max? I dont really notice a huge difference in how they drive, from a handling perspective, ie the G doesnt make me go wow I cant believe I am driving a FWD car. I just dont feel much difference there. I will need more time with the G to really get a feel for the differences if there really is one. Sometimes I think people build perceptions based off names (FWD, RWD) that dont really exist.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by marjen
Since I have been driving both the Max and the G lately, what exactly am I supposed to be missing wit the Max? I dont really notice a huge difference in how they drive, from a handling perspective, ie the G doesnt make me go wow I cant believe I am driving a FWD car. I just dont feel much difference there. I will need more time with the G to really get a feel for the differences if there really is one. Sometimes I think people build perceptions based off names (FWD, RWD) that dont really exist.
It's not perceptions but facts that you can sense if you don't just drive in a straight line. The advantage of the G over the Maxima is in chassis dynamics and steering feedback; if you drive aggressively around curves you will notice the lack of torque-steer and under-steer from the G, it feels more responsive and athletic and you can induce the car into over-steer by stepping on the gas around corners. The availability of a 6MT in the G sedan is the icing on the cake.

Even though I love the styling of the Maxima, the G is the real 4 door sports car.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by xixonmn
Look at their entire line-up, I don't think they have. The MDX used to look really good until they put that ugly shield on it.

Those are 2010s, the new beak is on the 2011. The spy pics are on autoblog.com, just very lazy to search them
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't really comment on the difference between the '10 Maxima and '10 G37. However, the difference between my '07 Maxima SE and the G sedan was very significant. I realized this every time I got a G sedan for a loaner when my Maxima was in for service (Yes, I had non-warranty service for my Max done at the Infiniti dealership). The G sedan could easily out-handle and out-perform my ‘07 Maxima (even after I upgraded my Max with Nismo S-tune sway bars).

The difference between RWD and FWD in these two cars is most noticeable by the lack of torque-steer in the G that plagued that generation of Maximas (and V6 Altimas), and also the difference between understeer / on throttle handling in a turn in these two cars.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... Sometimes I think people build perceptions based off names (FWD, RWD) that dont really exist.
If you can't feel a difference between driving a FWD car and a RWD car just by the handling dynamics alone, then you should probably just stick with FWD cars.

I guess if you're driving a G and a Maxima both very leisurely, then maybe you wouldn't notice a difference. But if you drive them "spiritedly", then you should definitely notice a difference.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^
LOL, here we go again with the AWD G bashing, when will it ever end. The 6MT guys will be joining in to bash the AT guys, then comes the Black on Black guys vs everyone else, then comes Maple wood VS Shodo, then xS vs X, then.....

I love this site
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
xixonmn

Those are 2010s, the new beak is on the 2011. The spy pics are on autoblog.com, just very lazy to search them
I've seen the 2011 spy shots. They haven't learned the lesson yet.

I can tell that they took out the silver line on the trunk but that corporate nose is there.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....y-kgp-july.jpg
Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like they got rid of those triangular reflectors on the lower rear bumper. That in itself is a big improvement.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:31 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by realgone
I found the TL all around pleasing, especially the comfort and interior quality. It was unmatched when compared to the other two cars. The TL is fast enough for anyone. It has plenty of get up and go and by no means feels like a slouch, and lets face it, all that speed is just competitive immature BS that my car is faster than yours. A car is for driving from point A to point B and rarely involves racing. That is why I am choosing the TL.
You could have stopped after saying you liked the TL more for any number of reasons and no one here could argue with you. There is no need to defend the TL being slower than a G because there are plenty that are even faster than the G. Lets face it, there is no winning the speed "arms race" unless there is a Veyron owner lurking in here.

But I don't agree that a car is all about taking you from point A to point B. There are pleanty of other "less expensive" alternatives that will do that, but instead you chose the TL. That makes it a luxury purchase.

Originally Posted by realgone
We do not live in the Fast and the Furious. It is unsafe to race a car in the streets and I doubt that many of you G37 owners are driving the car the car to it's potential and if you are, you are no doubt risking others, so essentially all that speed is an expensive waste or an ego booster. Nobody needs that much horse power. A well equipped V6 to handle daily driving is all that is needed because I will say it again, this is not the Fast and the Furious.
I can agree on the ego booster, but that's the point of a luxury purchase, isn't it? Same as designer clothing, handbags, and shoes. A 4 cylinder these days is more than plenty for a daily driver. Wait ... weren't some of those F&F cars 4 cylinders?

Congrats on the TL!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xixonmn
I've seen the 2011 spy shots. They haven't learned the lesson yet.

I can tell that they took out the silver line on the trunk but that corporate nose is there.
One of my big issues with the design is the fron fender flares. I know other cars have them (like the new M) but they just seem out of place on the new TL; I don't know why. Maybe becuause they're not replicated in the rear fenders? The rear tail lights also seem small for the back end and the front over hang is a bit too long for my taste.

If you block out everything in fron of the front wheels and behind the rear wheels it's a nice looking car.

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima vs. G37