G37 Sedan

Nissan Maxima vs. G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 PM
realgone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on here because I currently own a G Coupe and was thinking about buying a G37 Sedan until driving one yesterday when compared to a new TL. No way I will get the new G37 especially after the offer they gave me. Total rip-off.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't take an offer that the dealer gives me when I buy a car. I make them an offer. They need to sale it to me vs. I don't need to buy it from them.

Acura dealers give you better discount because they can't move em cars quick enough.

Last edited by xixonmn; 08-29-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM
realgone

Another factor that influenced my decision is the fact that Infiniti is soon to add a G25 to the line up and then they will be a dime a dozen.

I have seen one new Acura TL in town and not that many previous gen's, probably because the nearest dealership is over 2 hours away. If I had to guess, I would say that 95% of the upscale cars I see in town are what is sold locally. Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by realgone
Another factor that influenced my decision is the fact that Infiniti is soon to add a G25 to the line up and then they will be a dime a dozen.

I have seen one new Acura TL in town and not that many previous gen's, probably because the nearest dealership is over 2 hours away. If I had to guess, I would say that 95% of the upscale cars I see in town are what is sold locally. Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.
Interesting perspective. Most people would prefer to have a dealer close by for service and maintenance, but whatever floats your boat...

You said that the sedan was too expensive, and you already have a coupe. Was the quote on the sedan worlds apart from the coupe?

I don't see many TLs around here either, and there are Acura dealers. I think they're ugly and that's affecting sales, but if you like it, buy it.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM
realgone

Originally Posted by 15951
Interesting perspective. Most people would prefer to have a dealer close by for service and maintenance, but whatever floats your boat...

You said that the sedan was too expensive, and you already have a coupe. Was the quote on the sedan worlds apart from the coupe?

I don't see many TLs around here either, and there are Acura dealers. I think they're ugly and that's affecting sales, but if you like it, buy it.

The offer they gave me on my Coupe was completely unreasonable and I felt like another guy there who had a 2005 Coupe wanted my wheels. The price they were asking on the car was almost $40,000, and that was the Costco bottom line price supposedly. The Costco TL price was $1K under invoice. The Costco price for a Maxima, was $150 over invoice with $2500 cash back on top of that.

So my garage kept hand washed one-owner 2004 Coupe with Volk SF-Winning and only 19,000 miles + another $26,558 for a G37X. I don't think so. What a rip.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woah, flame on for me. I sense jealousy. LOL
I don't think it's jealousy.....I think it's pity. If you read the Acura forums, even those guys bash the looks of the new TL. I think Acura lost a lot of faithful customers with the new design. There's really nothing to be jealous about from my point of view.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 PM
MSCA
Banned

I'll give you that...the new TL will always be a rare car. But not because the nearest dealer is over two hours away...probably more like nobody wants to buy them. I'd bet the prior generation way outsold the current generation when it debuted.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by xixonmn
I used to share a 03 TL Type-S with my buddy long time ago and I love that car. The next gen looks amazing, classy,.. but they mess up the current gen big time.
I was driving behind one last week. 3 co-workers and I changed the subject and talked about how ugly that TL was. "looks like someone ****ing stepped on the trunk or something."
Yup, my mother actually owned an '03 TL Type-S and it was a really nice car. Looked good & drove great. Then when the next generation came out, I was sure she would trade in her Type-S, but she liked it so much that she held on to it throughout the entire next generation and into the current generation, which she doesn't like. So now that a new TL isn't an option anymore, she got herself a new MDX.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 PM
328HP

Just to reiterate what everyone here is saying and to prove that this is not limited to G Drivers, here

2009 Acura TL - First Drive of Acura's new TL sedan - Motor Trend

See what a diverse group of people are saying in the comments section. I would not be concerned about the looks if the car came with some descent performance, but like I said this thing goes on to give you performance equivalent to some NA 200HP I-4s out there. The Sonata 2T will most likely leave it in the dust, and it too has a nice interior and FWD. IMHO thats pathetic for anything billed as luxury or sports and unfortunately in this case entry level sports sedan and people are paying the amount of money for this to Honda. Oh well

Infiniti moved over 5000 units of the G last mnth, I dont think those guys are in any danger if they lost one guy who wants to get a TL, the Gdrivers here are not concerned, not at all.

Last edited by 328HP; 08-29-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The offer they gave me on my Coupe was completely unreasonable and I felt like another guy there who had a 2005 Coupe wanted my wheels. The price they were asking on the car was almost $40,000, and that was the Costco bottom line price supposedly. The Costco TL price was $1K under invoice. The Costco price for a Maxima, was $150 over invoice with $2500 cash back on top of that.

So my garage kept hand washed one-owner 2004 Coupe with Volk SF-Winning and only 19,000 miles + another $26,558 for a G37X. I don't think so. What a rip.
1. If you want top dollar for a trade, sell it privately. Dealers aren't in the business of giving you great deals on trade-ins.

2. Dealers do not care what mods you have on your car, and will even give you less money for cars that have aftermarket wheels, etc. This is true regardless of whether some guy there has a 2005 coupe that wants your wheels. If you want to sell your wheels, do it on your own, but don't expect a dealer to fall all over themselves over your Volk wheels.

3. Depending on factory options, trade in value for your car is around $13k. That's pretty much what they were giving you. Private party is only $14k. People aren't going to hand you $25k for a car that's 6-7 years old, sorry. Check TMV on Edmunds for a reality check.

Sounds to me like you wanted the G, and couldn't make the numbers work. Why come here and whine about it?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Before purchasing any car I also like to look at lease residual values even if you have no intention of leasing. This gives me an idea of potential resale value down the road. That is what made the G particularly attractive to me...and why I ultimately worked out a lease deal. I briefly considered a TL, but the residuals and money factors were not as good. That said, resale is always a gamble...but Infiniti is putting real money into their lease bets.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 PM
realgone

Originally Posted by 15951
1. If you want top dollar for a trade, sell it privately. Dealers aren't in the business of giving you great deals on trade-ins.

2. Dealers do not care what mods you have on your car, and will even give you less money for cars that have aftermarket wheels, etc. This is true regardless of whether some guy there has a 2005 coupe that wants your wheels. If you want to sell your wheels, do it on your own, but don't expect a dealer to fall all over themselves over your Volk wheels.

3. Depending on factory options, trade in value for your car is around $13k. That's pretty much what they were giving you. Private party is only $14k. People aren't going to hand you $25k for a car that's 6-7 years old, sorry. Check TMV on Edmunds for a reality check.

Sounds to me like you wanted the G, and couldn't make the numbers work. Why come here and whine about it?
I never said that I expected the dealer to go ga ga over my Volk wheels. I felt like they were intentionally trying to rip me off. I felt that the guy with the '05 Coupe wanted to get his hands on my wheels. I understand that I cannot get top dollar on a trade, but what they offered at the Infiniti dealership was a total rip-off. If I were them, I would have been embarrassed to have come back with the numbers they gave.

With the exception of Infiniti, 2 Nissan dealers and an Acura dealer were willing to give me the KBB trade-in value of $18,000 and I left Acura feeling that they would have given me even more. The car is in pristine condition and the Nissan guy thought I could get $22,000 for it at their dealership. Your numbers are unrealistic.

A car is worth what you can sell it for and I know I can get way more than they were offering me. The KBB and Edmunds are only tools to use to get an idea of what to sell a car for and one should know that BOTH favor dealers. Looking at what other comparable cars are selling for both privately and by dealers is a better way to go. That same Infiniti dealership had a car one year newer and with a few thousand less miles than my G Coupe and they were "asking" almost $30,000. Hmmm.

...and NO, after driving all three, the G was my last choice of the three. The only thing the car has going for it is the way it drives, I found the seats to be very hard and uncomfortable, the interior looked really cheap after sitting in the TL, especially the NAV screen and the same is true for the Maxima, but I would choose a Maxima over the G, still sporty enough and honestly I like the way they look better and they cost a whole hell of a lot less. I found the quality of the TL to be superior to both and they definitely look a lot better in person then in pics. The back does take some getting used to, but it grows on you and like I said, better in person.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 PM
realgone

Oh and to whoever said, go to the TL forums, they bash them too. I remember reading the same thing about the current generation G's from older gens. Comments like what's with that silver lip on the trunk, I don't think they look sporty enough they ruined the design by going for a more luxury look, I think the older gen's look nicer, etc......

Every time a new gen comes out and someone has the old gen, they nit pick it apart to justify why their older one is better than the new one because they don't have one.

Last edited by realgone; 08-30-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
All that matters is that you felt like you got a good deal on the TL, and that you like the TL. Congrats!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 AM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. I got my G sedan because it is sexy! In the end all that matters is that you are happy with your purchase. The reality is that we all get ripped off when it comes to car investments.

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima vs. G37