G37 Sedan

Nissan Maxima vs. G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 AM
marjen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would really recommend against any Nissan CVT.
I have almost 30k miles on my 09 max and NO issues at all with the CVT. I love it. PLus nissan upped the warranty to over 100000 miles on the cvt so no worries if there are issues.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Warp37
"Was told by salesman it's 100% to rear wheels on the G37x until they were slipping. Then power delivered to front wheels as needed"

I'd like to know the answer to this. Link me that quote and make me happy.
Here’s some info I found on the ATTESA-ETS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All-Terrain - Electronic Torque Split) AWD system used in the G37x...

The ATTESA-ETS system uses a 16-bit microprocessor that monitors the cars movements at 100 times per second to sense traction loss by measuring the speed of each wheel via the ABS sensors. A three axis G-Sensor mounted underneath the center console feed lateral and longitudinal inputs into an ECU which control both the ATTESA-ETS 4WD system and the ABS system. The ECU can then direct up to and including 50% of the power to the front wheels. When slip is detected on one of the rear wheels (that is when the rear wheels turn 5% or more than the front wheels), the system directs torque to the front wheels which run a viscous LSD. Rather than locking the AWD in all the time or having a system that is "all or nothing", the ATTESA-ETS system can apportion different ratios of torque to the front wheels as it sees fit. This provides the driver with an AWD vehicle that performs like a rear wheel drive vehicle in perfect conditions and can recover control when conditions aren't as perfect. From factory, the system is set up to provide slight oversteer in handling. and in fact the harder the car is cornered the LESS the 4wd system engages the front wheels. This promotes oversteer rather than understeer which is apparent in most AWD/4WD vehicles.

Also, I drove an ‘07 Nissan Maxima SE for 3 years before I traded it for my ‘10 G37x. Except for a defective HID headlight ballast, I never had a single problem with my Maxima. IMO it was an all-around excellent car. I seriously considered buying a ‘10 Maxima (not to mention BMW, MB, Audi, Acura and Lexus), but the ‘10 G37 sedan out-performed and out-classed the ‘10 Maxima in every category that mattered to me.

Last edited by DocJohn; 08-28-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry if this hurts anyones feelings, but I don't like the looks of the Maxima at all. Honestly, I'd take a TL, even an Accord, over the Max. Also, I bet the TL would offer a better driving experience.

Is the Max that much bigger inside, compared to the G? I've sat in the back of the G and it was comfortable (I'm 6'1"-2"). Although there is some stiff competition, the 37xs would be the clear choice for me.

Regarding the G's 7AT, it's not sluggish. D is for casual driving/gas conservation. If you want more get up and go, put it in DS.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:31 AM
realgone

Test drove all three cars today. Maxima, TL, and G37.

The TL outshines them all. The G is sportier to drive, but just like the Nissan, it is not a very comfortable car. The seats are hard and small in both the Maxima and the G37 Sedan and after setting in the new TL, everything looks cheap in the G. I think the Maxima has a better interior than the G Sedan, but the TL is amazing, beautiful interior.

I got three numbers for a trade-in through Costco and I thought the Nissan dealer and the Acura dealer were pretty fair. The offer from the Infiniti dealer was downright embarrassing and both I and my boyfriend left their feeling that it was a total rip-off, but they did not seem embarrassed. They were nice enough at the Infiniti dealership, but quite snobby. When I mentioned the TL he would laugh and roll his eyes and call it ugly. The TL is no doubt a different looking car, but get that car in a white and paint that front silver grill to match and it is pretty sexy. I think that salesman really needs to drive a TL. It is like driving a car while sitting comfortably on your couch and the interior is very impressive and the power is sufficient.

My car is now officially for sale. I am going to try and sell it locally with the wheels, $25,000 or best offer and will negotiate selling the car without the wheels and if that happens they will go for sale on the forum. I think I have seen the SF-Winnings consistently selling for at least $2K and they might have 10,000 miles on them if that. If I don't sell the car, I will probably see what more I can get for a trade at the Acura dealer and pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the input. The G is fun car to drive, but that is really it. It is a very uncomfortable car even for me and I am a lightweight, 5'3" and 123 lbs. Driving my G Coupe over the pass today for just over 2 hours one-way was quite tiring and my neck and back are killing me. I am more than willing to sacrifice a little power and sportiness for a TON of luxury. The TL wins hands down.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:58 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't buy/drive a new TL no matter how great it is....the damn thing is just so ugly that it hurts my eyes every time I look at it. And painting the grill to match the body color doesn't do enough to help it. The back end is just terrible too.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 AM
328HP

Judging from the pricing concerns indicated by the OP am sure he/she went for the FWD. Now its one thing to say its powerful enough but if you look at the performance numbers that car does 0-60 slower than cheaper FWD like the Camry V6. It probably performs in the region of a 25k Nissan Spec V with FWD and an 1-4. Now personally I have sat in the TL when I was at the dealer test driving an MDX and to say the TL's interior is amazing is really up to the individual. Personally there was nothing in the interior for me. Now layer on the questionable exterior I find it hard to justify paying anything more than 5k over a Nissan Spec-V. The additional 5k is for the so so interior materials and great audio system among other things. Since no one can get it for 30k, I find it interesting to see these things on the road, well Honda must be happy with their customers

Dont want to sound like I am bashing the TL or anything but its the truth, the adverts may say it has 306HP, but in reality a 200hp 1-4 will have a field day with the TL FWD. For someone not concerned with 200hp 1-4 performance, I would go with the CTS, even it sells more than the TL since it looks much better. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Warp37

100% to the rears? Kewl. All the more reason to turn off the VDC on dry pavement.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Bailey'sRide

Are these commonly cross-shopped cars? They are very different (granted, both manufactured by Nissan, but not targeting the same market). The Maxima is stunning as an upscale FWD flagship of the Nissan line (somewhat like considering--no flaming on this, as I know it is different--the Avalon as the top of Toyota). The G37 is stunning as an upscale AWD sports sedan of the Infiniti line (somewhat like considering a comparable Lexus--yeah, I know, there is no Lexus comparable to an Infiniti).

When deciding, drive them, figure the finances, and get what feels right.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 PM
realgone

Originally Posted by 328HP
Judging from the pricing concerns indicated by the OP am sure he/she went for the FWD. Now its one thing to say its powerful enough but if you look at the performance numbers that car does 0-60 slower than cheaper FWD like the Camry V6. It probably performs in the region of a 25k Nissan Spec V with FWD and an 1-4. Now personally I have sat in the TL when I was at the dealer test driving an MDX and to say the TL's interior is amazing is really up to the individual. Personally there was nothing in the interior for me. Now layer on the questionable exterior I find it hard to justify paying anything more than 5k over a Nissan Spec-V. The additional 5k is for the so so interior materials and great audio system among other things. Since no one can get it for 30k, I find it interesting to see these things on the road, well Honda must be happy with their customers

Dont want to sound like I am bashing the TL or anything but its the truth, the adverts may say it has 306HP, but in reality a 200hp 1-4 will have a field day with the TL FWD. For someone not concerned with 200hp 1-4 performance, I would go with the CTS, even it sells more than the TL since it looks much better. Just my 2 cents
It was a FWD TL and the Costco price on the car was $1000 under Invoice. I think I could have gotten them to give me $20K for my car for a difference of $19K or so after tax and license. Infiniti wanted my car with the VOLK SF-Winnings plus almost $27K. What a joke.

Here is a pic of a TL with the grill painted and debadged. I think it looks pretty nice.

Name:  TLFrontMug.jpg
Views: 3035
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  TLLeftRear.jpg
Views: 3077
Size:  42.0 KB
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's really.... really... ugly.

Originally Posted by 328HP
+1 for the CTS
Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xixonmn
That's really.... really... ugly.

I agree. Acura really messed up the TL with this new generation. The prior generation was such a good looking car. And the one before it was nice too. They should fire the designer for messing it up so badly!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Warp37

I'm the one who's going to have to look at your grill -- in my rear view mirror. Hope you enjoy the view of my taillights.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:29 PM
xixonmn

Originally Posted by MSCA
I agree. Acura really messed up the TL with this new generation. The prior generation was such a good looking car. And the one before it was nice too. They should fire the designer for messing it up so badly!
I used to share a 03 TL Type-S with my buddy long time ago and I love that car. The next gen looks amazing, classy,.. but they mess up the current gen big time.
I was driving behind one last week. 3 co-workers and I changed the subject and talked about how ugly that TL was. "looks like someone ****ing stepped on the trunk or something."
Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 PM
realgone

Woah, flame on for me. I sense jealousy. LOL
Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
xixonmn

Jealousy? Seriously? You are on myg37.com, not nicoclub.com buddy.

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima vs. G37