G37 Sedan

Nissan Maxima vs. G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
the rear doors in the sedan might as well not even be there; the back's TINY. your grandmother and fellow passengers WILL NOT be comfortable.
I haven't had a single complaint from rear passengers. I get only good words from them so far.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
volnedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ I think he was referring to the TSX's rear seats.

But I agree with the OP of being torn between the Maxima and G37 sedan. Using my VPP discount, it was only about $35 difference in price per month for the lease deal, so of course I went with the G37.

However, I don't use my car as a general family hauler just yet (no kids, just wife) so I can't really comment on rear seat space. I've only had a few friends back there for a short period of time.

From your standpoint, I would get the Maxima. Seems like it fits all your family needs better than a G37 would.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM
marjen

I have an 09 Max SV w/Premium. We just got my wife a g37xS with premium. Been driving the g a little this week. Gotta say early comparison I still like the Max better. Exterior styling I think is much better and I may get flamed for this but I really like the max's CVT. The auto in the g seems sluggish compared. Max has cooled seats, heating steering wheel, more interior storage, better steering wheel and I think the controls are a little better laid out. G might be a tad quieter inside, and have slightly better feeling controls and I like the sport wheels better than max wheels.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Warp37

If you're considering buying v leasing, be sure to compare the interest rate on the financing. It could make enough of a difference to offset the price diff.

MT has a recent article on their first test of the Maxima, and, as I recall, the last line in the article was something like, "Why wouldn't you pay a few grand more and get an Infiniti G37?"
Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by marjen
I have an 09 Max SV w/Premium. We just got my wife a g37xS with premium. Been driving the g a little this week. Gotta say early comparison I still like the Max better. Exterior styling I think is much better and I may get flamed for this but I really like the max's CVT. The auto in the g seems sluggish compared. Max has cooled seats, heating steering wheel, more interior storage, better steering wheel and I think the controls are a little better laid out. G might be a tad quieter inside, and have slightly better feeling controls and I like the sport wheels better than max wheels.
You certainly have the basis for a good comparison. I would think the all wheel drive on the G would make a pretty signficant difference in the drive, expecially under hard acceleration.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Warp37

Originally Posted by financeman
You certainly have the basis for a good comparison. I would think the all wheel drive on the G would make a pretty signficant difference in the drive, expecially under hard acceleration.
Particularly since, AFAIK, without snow mode engaged, it's 85% to the rears and 15% to the fronts on the G.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM
LINY_Rob

+1 on pre-owned M35x - I like that idea.

Add 2010 Honda Accord V6 EX-L V6 Navi to the shopping list. More room than TSX or G sedan, and still has strong V6. And less expensive that the others, albeit not considered a driving car. I test drove the Accord V6 - was really surprised by the very good throttle response and crisp shifting of the 5AT. But I'm also a big Honda fan.

If not, I highly recommend the fun of a G37x! Like someone else here stated - no one really complains about the space in the back seat - they always compliment on how nice the car is. Only those 6' and taller really can't do the backseat. And there is no substitute for the G's acceleration and handling.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
imo the accord is one of the ugliest cars in the 4 door sedan.
a g37x will make you know why you spent the extra$.last I checked, honda doesn't give out loaners.
that is also why the g is a few k more.
can anyone tell me if nissan gives loaners.?
love me a loaner, drive it like it's stolen.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 PM
realgone

I appreciate all of the feedback.

The TSX is probably pretty tight in the back so I would lean more towards a TL in the Acura's.

I am still leaning Maxima over the G, I just think the Maxima is sexier, but am excited to go see the G in person tomorrow, only seen them driving around town and pics.

As for a used M, if it looked like the current M model, I would be all over it.

Last edited by realgone; 08-27-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Rizzo

Originally Posted by Warp37
Particularly since, AFAIK, without snow mode engaged, it's 85% to the rears and 15% to the fronts on the G.
Was told by salesman it's 100% to rear wheels on the G37x until they were slipping. Then power delivered to front wheels as needed.
Infiniti G37 Range Press Release

"The all-wheel drive models are badged with an ‘x’ and use the sophisticated all-electronic torque split system from the EX and FX crossovers. Power distribution is constantly adjusted from 50:50 to 100 percent to the rear – so that maximum traction is always available on slippery surfaces, but crucially without compromising the G37′s rear-drive handling feel."

New All-Wheel Drive G37x Model and 7-Speed Automatic Transmission

Monitoring wheel spin, throttle position and vehicle speed, it automatically diverts up to 50 percent of available power to the front wheels, enhancing traction and control when road conditions are less than optimal. When all-wheel drive is not needed, the system can send up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels, preserving the G’s sporty rear-wheel drive characteristics.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 PM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both cars are nice. Just don't like the feel of FWD.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Warp37

"Was told by salesman it's 100% to rear wheels on the G37x until they were slipping. Then power delivered to front wheels as needed"

I'd like to know the answer to this. Link me that quote and make me happy.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Warp37
"Was told by salesman it's 100% to rear wheels on the G37x until they were slipping. Then power delivered to front wheels as needed"

I'd like to know the answer to this. Link me that quote and make me happy.
It's true. When the rear wheels start to slip, the front wheels pick up the slack.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:16 AM
1mrg2010

I would really recommend against any Nissan CVT. I came from a 2008 Altima 3.5SE, and my CVT started making death noises at 5k miles. Tranny swapped once and noise came back after ~1k miles. Similar problem on the Rogues and Muranos, also CVT cars.

Nissan knows there's a problem and it extended the CVT warranty to ~10yrs/100,000 miles or something like that to avoid recalls/lawsuits.

I think the CVT is great for low-power applications, but the materials/lubricating fluids just aren't advanced enough to handle north of 250chp unless the owner drives very lightly. (I had intake, exhaust, pulley and most importantly a lead foot.)

Another thing is the service. Once I had the first tranny replaced, Nissan dealers started giving me the runaround. I had to hire a lawyer to get them to cough up enough money to break even on the tradein for my new G. I feel sorry for the next guy who gets that POS (which is functioning perfectly according to Nissan.)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 AM
1mrg2010

Also, I think a loaded Legacy GT might fit your bill. AWD, 265 hp tunable to ~300, 3400lbs, roomy as hell, 17/25 MPG, ~$34-35k loaded OTD. 0-60 about as fast as a G.

That is if you can deal with driving a Lezbaru!

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima vs. G37