G37 Sedan

Quick n Easy Black Grille

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 AM
evilpanda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick n Easy Black Grille

i like the look of the midnight grill on the sedans but can't justify spending the money for it, instead i painted mine to look just like it. and yes the car is dirty.

Before

prep

first coat

after

daytime pics. you can clearly see the difference.

Last edited by evilpanda; 08-20-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:43 AM
mindonmatter

Looks good. But damn you're brave risking all that black over-spray on a silver car. If you're paint job holds up like mine, that grill will be full of chips in less than a month. Next time you paint it just take out the grill; it takes all of about 10 mintues. Did you sand down the chrome first before you painted it?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, you better make sure that no small paint particles floated and wondered all over your paint. ESPECIALLY IN A ENCLOSED AREA. Honestly, what you did was kind of "not right". Should of just taken off the grill and painted elsewhere.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Exige

blows my mind when people paint it on the car the overspray through the grill too would bug me
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
evilpanda

i guess i forgot to mention i used plasti dip. i can take it off anytime, so if there is any overspray i could just peel it off.

i would've taken the grill off, but no one has posted DIY for it so i'm really clueless. people over G35driver.com did the same thing but they used actual paint.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM
strdr19

I think that it looks good! You def did it the hard way though. There are some diy's for removing the grill. careful not to break the radiator shroud though. Although you will be good for a while with the dip.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
evilpanda

Originally Posted by strdr19
I think that it looks good! You def did it the hard way though. There are some diy's for removing the grill. careful not to break the radiator shroud though. Although you will be good for a while with the dip.
the diy for removing the grill was for the older sedans before the facelift, not sure if it would be the same for 2010. it will be temporary so if it chips i can just peel it off and respray if i want to.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM
mindonmatter

The same DIY applies('07 and up). For next time: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...nt-grille.html
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wow...I don't think I've ever seen someone paint a grille with the grille ON the car.

I don't know a lot about Plastidip, but assuming it's an aerosol, are you going to go through the radiator and everything inside the grille and pick off all the little pieces of it? And yeah, painting in an enclosed space is never a good idea...both for the car and your health (unless you have a paint mask)

That was not a good idea to leave the grille on the car IMO, sorry man...and what about all the little spots that you need to spray from behind the grille to totally get it covered? I can guarantee that if you take your grille out you will be able to find lots of spots the spray missed.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks the same as before, except that the finish is now flat instead of glossy. Am I missing something?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Looks the same as before, except that the finish is now flat instead of glossy. Am I missing something?
it's the lighting in the picture (fail for taking a pic in a dark garage lol). before it was chrome and now it's black
Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm intersted to see how your radiator looks..

I painted my grill with plastidip too, except it was sitting on news paper on my drive way.

Plastidip is fantastic, the rubberized texture hasn't chipped/peeled/flaked anything. No pitting, no need to redo it. I've taken it on a few road trips and its been absolutely littered with bugs and debris but they just wash off and it looks great.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
wow...I don't think I've ever seen someone paint a grille with the grille ON the car.

I don't know a lot about Plastidip, but assuming it's an aerosol, are you going to go through the radiator and everything inside the grille and pick off all the little pieces of it?
I did. Plasti Dip comes in aerosol can and in liquid form. It sprays differently than paint, and lays on rather thick. If you know what you're doing, you can keep the overspray at a minimum.

You can see my DIY and review here - Quick 'n Easy Black Grille - G35Driver

I took my bumper and grille this past weekend to check on my bumper damage (someone ran into my parked car at work... no note, etc...). There is no overspray on the radiator or anywhere in there.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by evilpanda
i like the look of the midnight grill on the sedans but can't justify spending the money for it, instead i painted mine to look just like it. and yes the car is dirty.
Looks good!

Originally Posted by mindonmatter
Looks good. But damn you're brave risking all that black over-spray on a silver car. If you're paint job holds up like mine, that grill will be full of chips in less than a month. Next time you paint it just take out the grill; it takes all of about 10 mintues. Did you sand down the chrome first before you painted it?
I've had mine since June, and frequently drive behind trucks on the freeway, once behind a gravel truck (that was painful). The plasti dip is holding up very well. No knicks or whatnot. Since it's rubberized, it does tend to "absorb" minor impacts. Plus, touching it up with more plasti dip is easy (or just peel the whole thing off and do it again). Overspray, as i mentioned earlier, is hardly an issue with this stuff.

You can sand down the chrome, but it makes the plasti dip permanent on the surface.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 PM
DEMoLITIoN

nice looks good

Quick Reply: Quick n Easy Black Grille