G37 Sedan

Is the G25 going to depreciate the Value of the G series?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well what is Infiniti to do? MB, Lexus, and BMW are all formidable luxury brands and they also all have entry level models. You see maninly used G35s around becuase people want an Infiniti but can't (or don't want to) buy the G37. You see a lot more BMWs, MBs, and Lexuses becuase they offer entry level models that people who want a new luxury car can afford.

Sure the G will be common, if you want an exclusive Infiniti for an (37 or 56) you'll see a lot fewer of them compared to Gs. Just like the ratio of 3 series to 5 series or C class to E class.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 AM
MSCA
Banned

That's it...I'm going out and buying myself a Maserati GranTurismo. I need exlusivity! LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 AM
newg37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was reading until the morons started arguing and posting half a page responses. everyone is a ****in economist and analyst these days...

you guys don't get that the new g25 will cost $30k BASE. having a smaller engine just means saving only 2-3 grand. UNLESS they significantly cheapen it out.

look at the IS350 it has A LOT OF EXTRA OPTIONS over the base is250. you want HIDs on the 250, sports suspension, exhaust, etc you need to get the 350 which starts at $38k but even the IS250 costs $32k and no dealer stocks the base models (add prem packages and navi) and it still ends up costing $35 grand for an IS250.. factor in the interest and INSURANCE PREMIUMS and it's still nothing some kid working at KFC could ever afford.

i have a feeling the g25 will have noticeable lower quality parts in the chassis, brakes, suspension, headlamps, some interior cues, etc. and will still start at about $30k so the overall market won't be that affected by it. there are millions of IS and 328i on the road and the residuals are still high on all of em.

infiniti is NOWHERE near the saturation of bmw or lexus and both of those brands have a strong resale market (even stronger than infiniti that sells less than half)

cliffs: this is just another nissan ploy to artificially inflate the cost of the g37. a g25 will end up the starting point of the current g37 in 2-3 years so that nissan can compete with the weak dollar. the g37 will probably start at $38g in about 2-3 years and make it worthwhile for nissan to actually profit on each model!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by newg37

....i have a feeling the g25 will have noticeable lower quality parts in the chassis, brakes, suspension, headlamps.... [/B]
I have a feeling you're wrong.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 AM
newg37
Banned

ok then the price will be starting at over 30k if they include the same components.

if you equip an acura or accord with a larger engine, the price only goes up 5k but you also get 18" wheels and better audio, bluetooth, etc. since the g37 journey costs ~$37g, then this g25 should hover at around $33k MSRP with a moonroof LOL!

unless they reduce the quality of the other parts which seems more likely if they want to get below 30k.

remember the japs have a gentleman's agreement not to undermine each other. so you can forget a $28k MSRP g25
Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM
MSCA
Banned

My guess is that the G25 will basically be a G37 with a smaller engine and not much decontenting at all. Infiniti isn't going to put out a bare-bones car that doesn't have the features that buyers want, even at a lower price point.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
My guess is that the G25 will basically be a G37 with a smaller engine and not much decontenting at all. Infiniti isn't going to put out a bare-bones car that doesn't have the features that buyers want, even at a lower price point.
+1...and that's exactly what most of the competition does. Contrary to what a previous poster stated, the IS250 and IS350 are virtually identical. They didn't cheapen the cabin, and you wouldn't know the difference until pushing the gas pedal to the floor. They gave the 250 smaller brakes up front and a smaller engine - items that many car buyers wouldn't notice or care about.

I can't imagine Infiniti making the interior of the G any worse for the 25. It already has crap materials, in my opinion, compared to the competition. I look at our dashboard and door panels and wince on a daily basis...they'd have to go cardboard to make them look any cheaper.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:26 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
+1...and that's exactly what most of the competition does. Contrary to what a previous poster stated, the IS250 and IS350 are virtually identical. They didn't cheapen the cabin, and you wouldn't know the difference until pushing the gas pedal to the floor. They gave the 250 smaller brakes up front and a smaller engine - items that many car buyers wouldn't notice or care about.

I can't imagine Infiniti making the interior of the G any worse for the 25. It already has crap materials, in my opinion, compared to the competition. I look at our dashboard and door panels and wince on a daily basis...they'd have to go cardboard to make them look any cheaper.
then why would you buy the car? Have you owned a BMW and see how aging the pieces look? The i-drive has matured but the layout of the interior does not go on par with the Infiniti. Lexus just looks like Toyota parts inside.

Acura is trying to market the V6 TSX now after the 4-cylinder has been out for years but the V6 TSX costs the same amount as a G37 sedan now.

Infiniti has a majority of price shoppers that just want a luxury car that will lease out cheap. At the rate the G37 sedan is leasing currently, expect the 25 to do well and the non-forumer lurkers will buy/lease them without holding back.

I hope they put the 2.5L V6 into the EX as well -- people in that category don't care about 297-horsepower to begin with.

If it becomes profitable to bring the G25 sedan into the states, then they'll have more profits to do some R&D and maybe have a lot more IPL models to arrive -- maybe a factory FI'ed vehicle
Old 09-05-2010, 02:32 PM
dbg37

The question you have to ask is, do people buy cars without driving them?
The answer is no.

The people to whom the G25 would appeal to are basically a different segment of the buying public to which the performance aspect of the G37 is not necessary and they don't want to pay the extra to own. This is true for the IS series from Toyota. The people who spend more to get the IS350 know exactly what they get for their dollars, and the people who buy the IS250 know the difference too. They simply elect to try and get the same kind of quality, reliability and driver satisfaction without the worse mileage and higher price tag.

The idea that image and exclusivity are all bound up in this is very shallow minded, because it is not like these cars are not common. Quite frankly if you want to be exclusive and have 30-35 grand to spend on a car there are numerous customs floating around auctions that will get you that. However they won't be new cars, they won't have every new option and no new car warranty. But hey if you want to be exclusive, go for it.
Most people buy cars to suit a need and meet some sort of desire, but practical functionality, reliability, and retained value far outshines all other aspects.

If the G series loses value it will not be due to a G25, but to lack of owner satisfaction and issues with the car. Producing & selling larger volumes of the series just means that Infiniti might get some returns on development that might actually provide for better cars.
As parts get more production, the costs per unit tend to drop and more chance to refine and improve can be built in. Smaller quantities mean costly redesigns and retooling when something doesn't work.

Ultimately the G owner is a person who has done comparison shopping and buys the G for what the dollar gets them compared to the competition. The G series is a different car with different personality and function when you put it next to BMW, Lexus, Audi or other brands. That uniqueness is not going away. We still have back seats that actually fit people, handling that borders on sporty when compared to common cars and good bang for the buck on performance.
The G line has not been viewed as an economical one with regard to mileage, so when that is part of your desire then they will have an option for you. That option is sans the 328 hp.

The G is not a Corvette, where everyone is going to expect to have massive power in every model, but even Corvette has numerous engine levels. Does that bring down resale on the models with the highest output? No, not really. It does mean that the Corvette line can sell more cars than it could if they all had top engines, and by doing so the line can actually be cheaper to produce. That is why the Corvette is always the bang for the buck American alternative to expensive foreign exotics.

****The quality of the product always has more to say concerning retained value than that of exclusivity.

You might buy a Land Rover to be exclusive, but don't expect that vehicle to have good resale value because its history shows it has issues. It is funny how exclusiveness tends to be less a factor when the car is no longer new.
The inverse is old original VW beetles in really good condition probably would sell for what they did new and the reason being that they were cheap, easy to keep and would last when cared for. They certainly have zero exclusiveness. (fond memories maybe)
Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by newg37
i have a feeling the g25 will have noticeable lower quality parts in the chassis, brakes, suspension, headlamps, some interior cues, etc. and will still start at about $30k so the overall market won't be that affected by it. there are millions of IS and 328i on the road and the residuals are still high on all of em.
Um no. It would cost Nissan more to build a car that was that different. The G25 will be identical to the G37 except for the engine. The G25 will be replacing the G37 base model and the G25 will have a Journey package as an optipon. The pricing will be inline with the current base G37 which means that the other G37 models will not go up in price.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Um no. It would cost Nissan more to build a car that was that different. The G25 will be identical to the G37 except for the engine. The G25 will be replacing the G37 base model and the G25 will have a Journey package as an optipon. The pricing will be inline with the current base G37 which means that the other G37 models will not go up in price.
not true... but then again every car goes up very slightly due to costs each year.

But the 29mpg G25 Sedan will be cheaper than the competition without a doubt. it's going to really give the TSX a run for its money since people in the low $30k budget look at that. Maxima owners will be able to step up to this as well.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by da mayor
not true... but then again every car goes up very slightly due to costs each year.

But the 29mpg G25 Sedan will be cheaper than the competition without a doubt. it's going to really give the TSX a run for its money since people in the low $30k budget look at that. Maxima owners will be able to step up to this as well.
OK, well I mean that if they added the G25 in addition to the base G37 then they'd have to but up all the G37 prices so as not to be priced too close to the G25. By replacing the base G37 with the G25 they don't have to artifically increase the prices.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MSCA
That's it...I'm going out and buying myself a Maserati GranTurismo. I need exlusivity! LOLOLOLOLOL
Actually I really like the Maserati Quattroporte but I'm terrified of the reliability and maintanence costs.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:24 PM
newg37
Banned

just came back from the dealership the mgr told me that the g25 will start out as a 6 cyl ~210hp or something and then eventually make it's way down to a 4 cyl by 2012

he plans on leasing them out at $199/mo

he also said the interior would definitely have some modifications. so i guess that flushes johnenglish's opinion down the toilet

Quick Reply: Is the G25 going to depreciate the Value of the G series?