G37 Sedan

Is the G25 going to depreciate the Value of the G series?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
I agree with this, Infinti needs something to compete with the 7-series and it would also be nice if they made a rocket something small like the 1-series. The Q56 is an SUV, they really need a car that is the flagship.
The QX56 is an SUV, not the Q56. The old Q series used to be Infiniti's flagship car. It only makes sense that they would resurrect this name if they were to bring a larger car back to the market.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
Priced for youth, but, not a coupe.
Dilution of the brand... Cadillac Cimarron comes to mind as well as the masses of common three series BMW's clogging the So Cal roads. Guess Infiniti wanted some of that 328 -330 business?
Comparing the G25 to the Cadillac Cimarron is completely ridiculous and insulting to the G25. Now, comparing the Cimarron to the old G20 is a much more reasonable comparison, (you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig). The G25 is still based on a competent platform and has luxury features. This is getting blown WAY out of proportion. Countless models, including much more high end than the G37, in the industry currently are offered with more than one engine choice. Since when were option choices a bad thing?

Also I think it should go without saying that Infiniti wanted a piece of the 3 series pie, isn't that why the G35 was created?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM
allagaroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
I am just curious to know is the new G25 going to depreciate the value of the G series? The G25 with a low price tag, which chances are they will be a hot ticket item, is it likely that this new lower end G is going to hurt the long term value of the G? Curious to know what others may think?
Just heard G25 won't have a sport version which makes sense but it also doesn't offer Nav. which doesn't make sense. Similar cars in that range offer it. Don't they think people will travel in a G25 or are trying to force the sale of the G37 if you want Nav.? IMHO dumb!!!!!!! I don't think it will hurt resale of G37.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Comparing the G25 to the Cadillac Cimarron is completely ridiculous and insulting to the G25. Now, comparing the Cimarron to the old G20 is a much more reasonable comparison, (you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig). The G25 is still based on a competent platform and has luxury features. This is getting blown WAY out of proportion. Countless models, including much more high end than the G37, in the industry currently are offered with more than one engine choice. Since when were option choices a bad thing?

Also I think it should go without saying that Infiniti wanted a piece of the 3 series pie, isn't that why the G35 was created?
Hmmm... "completely ridiculous"?
As you may know, the Cimarron was a "downsized Cadillac". That harmed the Cadillac image. The G25 is a downsized G. You may have a different, "completely ridiculous" opinion.

Your comment about the G already competing with the 3 series...
Recently the G lost a comparison against a 328 mostly because the 328 was given points for price and gas mileage. You should be aware that there are several levels of trim, performance, and price in 3's. The G37 doesn't have that wide a market reach. The G25 would add to that reach, as would a FI G.

Will the introduction of a low performance G hurt the G's image? IMHO, no more than the image would gain if high performance G was introduced.

Given this is question of consumer perception, there is no wrong answer, even yours Jayhawk815.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As you may know, the Cimarron was a "downsized Cadillac". That harmed the Cadillac image. The G25 is a downsized G. You may have a different, "completely ridiculous" opinion.
The Cimarron was a Cavalier with a Cadillac badge. The G25 is a G37 with a smaller engine. If you want a Cimarron comparision I'd suggest looking at the Infiniti G20.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Jayhawk815

Your comment about the G already competing with the 3 series...
Recently the G lost a comparison against a 328 mostly because the 328 was given points for price and gas mileage. You should be aware that there are several levels of trim, performance, and price in 3's. The G37 doesn't have that wide a market reach. The G25 would add to that reach, as would a FI G.

Will the introduction of a low performance G hurt the G's image? IMHO, no more than the image would gain if high performance G was introduced.

Given this is question of consumer perception, there is no wrong answer, even yours Jayhawk815.
First off, the Cimarron was little more than a rebadged Cavalier with some luxury options. This damaged Cadillac's already crappy rep because it was very poorly executed. Very similar to this was the G20, a rebadged Sentra with some luxury options, although it was slightly better executed than the Cimarron. The current G25 isn't downsized, except in the engine department, otherwise it's nearly identical to the G37. I can't see many parallels to either the Cimarron or G20.

As far as the 3 series, I'm well aware that there are several levels of trim, that's my main point for supporting the addition of the G25. It should offer somewhat similar performance to the 328, at a cheaper price. The G37 outperforms the 328 in nearly every performance category.

Overall, it seems like we mostly are in agreement anyway. And yes, this is about consumer perception, I just try to substantiate my perceptions with rationale and facts(not directing that at you Boomer-Bob, but just saying).
Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The Cimarron was a Cavalier with a Cadillac badge. The G25 is a G37 with a smaller engine. If you want a Cimarron comparision I'd suggest looking at the Infiniti G20.
Thank you sir!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Gentlemen;
OP's question was "Is the G25 going to depreciate the value of the G series?".

My comment was meant address my thougts on the impact of a downscaled model, per the OP's post.

The G20 was replaced by the G35, the model went upscale no?
The G25 goes downscale and will also be sold concurrently with the G37, like the Cimarron / Cad.

To me, and I believe many consumers, introducing a downscale model like the G25 or Cimarron, is something that affects brand perception in a different way than moving a brand upscale, as with the G20 / G35. That is my point or what I meant it to be.

Personally, I think a "SC G37" at $55,000. would be a plus to the perception of the G Series, a G25 at $30,000. a minus.

I also agree that a G25 would better compete with the "328 type" cars.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:18 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

What is with all the Cimarron comparisions? If Infiniti took a Versa and slapped a G25 badge on it then yeah, it would be justified. Putting a smaller engine in the exact same vehicle is not a Cimarron situation.

It's a smart move, lots of people don't care too much about power and performance. As long as they can merge onto the highway reasonably well that's all they care about.

The G25 will give them everything they want from a G37 (looks, refinement, tech gadgets, luxury appeal) at a lower price point and with better fuel economy.

The Cimarron damaged Cadillac because it was a really bad car that was in no way a Cadillac. It looked, sounded, and drove like a Cavalier. The G25 will look, sound, and drive like a G37; it'll just be a little slower off the line.

This car will be great for Infiniti as it'll attract more people to the brand and it'll generate more revenue for them that they can use to build your twin turbo G56 AWD dual clutch fantasy car.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 08-20-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^nicely said, I think it'l be a hit.. Look at the 328 and c300.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 AM
MSCA
Banned

This is just not that big of a deal and I'm surprised that there's such a big debate here. The G25 is the same car with a smaller engine. The rest of the car is the same, right? Same features and amenities, right? So what's the big fuss all about?

The only thing I can think of that might have a bit of negative perception is if Infiniti sells a ton of G25 models and the G becomes one of those cars you see at every stoplight. I actually like the fact that the G37 coupe is a bit of a rare bird. I wouldn't say it's exactly an exclusive car, but I certainly don't see them at every corner.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Drum roll.... My last post on this thread...

My apologies for the extensive digression. I can see my analogy of the introduction a lower luxury / lower performance Cadillac, the Cimarron, sucked.

IMHO, Infiniti is known for performance and luxury. The new G25 is lower performance and lower luxury, no navigation etc.

This can change the perception of the brand and compete on price with resale G37's.

However, I think they will sell the heck out of them, making the G Series far more common / available / popular with a wider segment of consumers and take a larger number of 3 and C buyers than the G37 could alone.

Infiniti needs a FI G... as do I.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Yeah, I don't get what all the fuss is about either.

If you start seeing new Infinitis on every corner, I'd take that as a good thing because it means they're making money. Their business model is not like Ferrari's where they sell low volume high margin cars.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Lots of people buy the G37 without navigation. Look in these forums and just when you see them driving around. You'll see many of them have Garmin or Tomtom units. Look at all the 3 Series that don't have navigation.

The base G37 is identical to the G25 except for the engine. It's not "lowering" Infiniti since they already sold a car with no options like that. They're just putting in a smaller engine now. For most people luxury is about how the car looks and feels, is there a lot of road noise, etc. The people look at "entry level" luxury cars with no options realize that certain things will not be included at that price point. Now that Infiniti can lower the price of the car some more with a smaller engine, it'll attract more buyers.

It's not going to change the perception of the brand for anyone becuase they're not changing the core aspects of the vehicle and trying to pass off something else as an Infiniti.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 08-20-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I already see a lot of G35/37s here in Houston. But I guess it depends on your location. The G37 Coupe is still somewhat rare in comparison.

Kinda off topic, but one thing I have never understood though......the G generally outsells the Lexus IS, yet I see IS's like their another Camry. Maybe they just sell that well in Houston, but they are EVERYWHERE!!!

Quick Reply: Is the G25 going to depreciate the Value of the G series?