G37 Sedan

Rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Rear-ended

I was in traffic in a long line of cars heading from a main road to get on a highway intersection yesterday when the cars in front of me suddenly stopped. Slammed on the brakes and ended up just barely missing running into the car in front of me.

After feeling relieved for half-a-second the car behind me smashed into me and pushed me into the car in front. Roads were wet and covered with pine needles and crap after a major storm. I'm not angry or anything about it, you know shmidt happens, nobody was hurt or anything. But I'm not looking forward to dealing with the Insurance companies now.

My insurance agent initially said to call Nationwide (the insurance of the guy behind me) and start the claims process with them. So I did, and I'm taking the car in to be looked at and given an estimate before repairs early next week. My Insurance (State Farm) also called me later on and said I had the option of filing a claim with them, but of course that would mean paying the deductible and likely losing the accident-free discount, etc. So I don't see why I'd want to do that unless I had to.

There was a policeman who came by and copied our info for us but did not file an official report since nobody was hurt.

But obviously I'm not expecting it to be easy to deal with Nationwide either. I want to ensure everything is fixed obviously, and also that I'm provided with a rental while the car is in the shop. I have rental coverage on my own insurance, but State Farm tells me Nationwide is supposed to cover that if they accept liability for the accident.

Any advice for dealing with some of whatever is coming next with the Insurance companies?

Some pics below. The front bumper isn't pictured but *might* need some touch-up paint. Also my front license plate and holder was bent upwards and the plastic attachment underneath it may be cracked up.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There terrible to hear man. I hope everything gets worked out.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry to hear man. i've never dealt with nationwide myself, but i can imagine that you'll have to make an appointment to get an estimate. i'm assuming you don't have any sort of lip, etc. on the car, so you should be okay. do you know any body shop owners personally? most of the time, if you take it to someone you know of to repair the damage, they'll be able to inform nationwide of more damages, etc. and get more $$$ to cover damages. best of luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
completely total...demand a 2010 and nothing less from nationwide!!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM
hoyalawya

I assume that you are in the DC area. I highly recommend D&V Autobody near the Dulles Airport. I just had some repair works done from hitting a deer. Kevin, the service manager, dealt with the insurance company and even with an Infinity dealership to price match the insurance parts quote (GEICO wanted me to use "reconditioned" parts). I would never bring my car to anywhere else.

Last edited by hoyalawya; 08-13-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM
SCBLKG37

Really? the cop didnt write a report? WOW.. I not aware of the statue in Maryland but here in SC... regardless of whether there are injuries or not... if the damage is more than 1000$ a report should be made. Your damage alone exceeds that.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM
DmfG37sTT

Im curious to know if it bent your exhaust as well.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
BLKG37X

Wow man that really sucks to hear. But it could've been much worse. No one is hurt, and it looks like mostly only the bumper is damaged, so there shouldn't be a lot of body work done. But very unpleasant regardless.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
infinity
infiniti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by SCBLKG37
Really? the cop didnt write a report? WOW.. I not aware of the statue in Maryland but here in SC... regardless of whether there are injuries or not... if the damage is more than 1000$ a report should be made. Your damage alone exceeds that.
Yeah, the insurance folks all said the same thing. At least in Montgomery County here they don't write a report for these types of incidents with nobody hurt. I'm not sure what the limit is on damage dollar amounts, if any.

A cop just happened to drive by right after it happened and helped us out. At least he gave us a badge number, name and phone to give insurance if they needed it though. Like I said, was after a big storm so the cops were also pretty busy that morning with hundreds of intersection traffic lights that had no power throughout the county (that had nothing to do with the accident).
Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Im curious to know if it bent your exhaust as well.
Me too. We'll find out. Looks like one of the tips might have possibly dented slightly but hopefully nothing beyond that. Actually it looks more like the exhaust stayed in place while the bumper dented around it.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by eksigned

sorry to hear man. i've never dealt with nationwide myself, but i can imagine that you'll have to make an appointment to get an estimate. i'm assuming you don't have any sort of lip, etc. on the car, so you should be okay. do you know any body shop owners personally? most of the time, if you take it to someone you know of to repair the damage, they'll be able to inform nationwide of more damages, etc. and get more $$$ to cover damages. best of luck!
Yeah, I have an appointment already.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:58 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by hoyalawya
I assume that you are in the DC area. I highly recommend D&V Autobody near the Dulles Airport. I just had some repair works done from hitting a deer. Kevin, the service manager, dealt with the insurance company and even with an Infinity dealership to price match the insurance parts quote (GEICO wanted me to use "reconditioned" parts). I would never bring my car to anywhere else.
Thanks for the tip. Might be a bit of a drive; I live in G-burg area and work in S.Spring. I bought my car from the dealership in Alexandria who just recommended another body shop nearby them. I also called the closest dealer to me, which is Jim Coleman Infiniti in Bethesda and they actually do body work through their next-door neighbor, the same-company, Jim Coleman Toyota Scion.

I'd prefer to go to a dealership to be sure all the right (warrantied) parts were still working afterwards, but none of them actually do bodywork.

But if D&V also works with the dealership as you say, I'll check them out. I'd rather have a longer drive on 2 days than a bad repair job.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 PM
ShyTown91
Premier Member

My opinion is that you should never get body repairs done at a dealership that doesn't do it themselves. I had a situation where i needed to painting done so I took it to Infiniti of Tysons and they partner up with Cherner Lincoln Mercury. My experience was satisfactory but not too great. D&V is the absolute best shop in the area hands down! If you decide to go there tell him I (Shayan) recommended you. Ive been there again and again and he will definitely take amazing care of you
Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after filing the claim with nationwide if one of the nationwide agents calls you to get more info, dont talk to them and direct them to speak to your agent. assuming you already reported the whole incident to them.

I had a scenario where i opened a claim with the other persons insurance, who was clearly at fault. after the claim was opened an agent called me to to heckle me basically feeling me out stating things like "well our client said you were going way to fast" . she tboned the side of my car! in hindsight i should have told him to get off my phone and talk to my ins agent.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended