G37 Sedan

Rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
hoyalawya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Thanks for the tip. Might be a bit of a drive; I live in G-burg area and work in S.Spring. I bought my car from the dealership in Alexandria who just recommended another body shop nearby them. I also called the closest dealer to me, which is Jim Coleman Infiniti in Bethesda and they actually do body work through their next-door neighbor, the same-company, Jim Coleman Toyota Scion.

I'd prefer to go to a dealership to be sure all the right (warrantied) parts were still working afterwards, but none of them actually do bodywork.

But if D&V also works with the dealership as you say, I'll check them out. I'd rather have a longer drive on 2 days than a bad repair job.
The one in Alexandria could be Wagon Works - one of the bests and most expensive in the area. D&V hosts a lot of G events. The managers are car guys and they will do right by you.

Last edited by hoyalawya; 08-13-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I called D&V already so thanks for all of the recommends! I will hopefully be dropping it off there after getting the Nationwide estimate and then getting a rental from nearby. Assuming everything goes as it should.

State Farm called me back to day to say the woman in front of me confirmed my story as well (she only felt one large impact so the back driver is responsible). Apparently I can also go through my own insurance if I want (and they'd recover from Nationwide). It wouldn't necessarily raise my rates, but I think I'd end up paying a deductible there so I guess I should hold that ace in my pocket as a last resort in case I run into trouble getting what I want.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 PM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for the accident Shadow...I went to a national g meet at DV and the shop is very nice, very clean so should be a good spot to get your car done. If you file with your insurance you may get things done a little faster, and they will recoup your deductible as well...
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel your pain. Sorry to hear that. Hope your okay.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
g gal

Ask the body shop what their experience is working with Nationwide. When I had to get my car repaired the shop was very concerned about how easy the at fault drivers insurance would be to deal with. He knew my insurance was very easy to work with and I would get a factory part without any problems. Did not have to pay my deductable because it was not my fault.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:44 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ijahman
If you file with your insurance you may get things done a little faster, and they will recoup your deductible as well...
I agree. My previous car got totalled last fall (and I ended up buying my G after that) and friggin Allstate (the other person's company, who was 100% at fault) was dragging their feet. Went through Geico to deal with the rental and they got Allstate to pay my deductibles.

A word of advice on the rental. They typically have some limits on what they pay per day. Tell them that you have a G and you are entitled to have a loaner G or something better while yours is being repaired. If not, your quality of life, business relationships, etc suffer from having to drive clients in a cheap rental. If you dont press the issue they will stick you into a Sonata or similar isht.

Good luck on your repairs.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Bailey'sRide

Truly sorry to hear this. Four years ago (almost) on Thanksgiving morning, my three-month-old G35x was rear-ended at a stop light in Northern VA (Rt. 29). Beyond wrecking the vacation, the car never got back to what it had been; the hit caused frame damage and the insurance company of the other driver was not helpful (can't remember who it was). BUT, I worked with that insurance company and had the work done at one of their "preferred" body shops--Falls Church Auto Body. I was given an old Ford Focus as a loaner, and I was never pleased with the work they did. They never managed to get the rear bumper cover on straight to my satisfaction (even after two return visits--before I gave up). The car was always rattly after. That car, though, is the Infiniti dealer's problem now--traded in June. Avoid Falls Church.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 AM
BillPaul

Be sure to insist on CAPA certified parts:

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Video: Knock-off bumper part “explodes†in crash test

Last edited by BillPaul; 08-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Sysjack
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Apparently I can also go through my own insurance if I want (and they'd recover from Nationwide). It wouldn't necessarily raise my rates, but I think I'd end up paying a deductible there so I guess I should hold that ace in my pocket as a last resort in case I run into trouble getting what I want.
You should be able to recover your deductible from the at-fault driver's insurance. That was an option I had in dealing with my totaled car. Bought the G after that. I will second that you need to insist that they give you a comparable rental vehicle. I didn't and they stuck me in a base model Chevy Cobalt. Told me that their only obligation was to provide me with transportation. It was my first accident and I didn't know any better.

Last edited by Sysjack; 07-30-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least the damge doesn't look too bad. Just the bumper cover it looks like....
Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say get a lawyer, that looks like a harsh impact. Unfortunately, the lawyer will deal with the insurance company more effective than you ever will.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Warp37

Are you sure your neck and upper back aren't sore from this? Seriously, you got rear ended. Unless the other guy claims you were in reverse with your foot to the floor, there's really no argument who was at fault and who pays.

I don't think the insurance company gets to dictate where you have the repairs done.

If they give you a Sonata for a loaner, keep her at redline at all times. Heck, regardless of what they give you, keep it at redline.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 AM
KLB

So, he should fake an injury and try to run a rental car into the ground?

Why would he get a lawyer if he hasn't been given any grief yet by the insurance company?

Hopefully the insurance company will be straight will you and take care of the damages. You can definitely pick where to have the car fixed. They can just try to squabble about the price.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 AM
hoyalawya

Originally Posted by Warp37
Are you sure your neck and upper back aren't sore from this? Seriously, you got rear ended. Unless the other guy claims you were in reverse with your foot to the floor, there's really no argument who was at fault and who pays.

I don't think the insurance company gets to dictate where you have the repairs done.

If they give you a Sonata for a loaner, keep her at redline at all times. Heck, regardless of what they give you, keep it at redline.
I got stuck with a bad Mazda 6 for rental a few weeks back when my G was at D&V. I purposely hit every pothole I could find on the DC road.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Eugeinus

Sorry to hear that SM. I just picked my 07' G35 up today from the shop after my neighbor backed into it about a month ago while I was parked in my spot. He had nationwide as well, and they were actually really easy to deal with. Might have been because I had a witness and there was really no way for him not to be at fault.

I'm in the Arlington area and had my work done at American Service Center on Glebe Rd right off of 66 (exit 71). Took them 4 days, but everything looks good as new, they did a really good job and between the repairs and rental cars, I didn't have to shell out a dime. The only hassle of dropping off, picking up the cars and such.

Hope everything works out for you!

Quick Reply: Rear-ended