G37 Sedan

Thoughts on Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
TissueGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Service

Hi all,

Could use your thoughts here. I have a 2010 G37X auto. Great car, love it, could not be happier. I called the dealer to schedule an oil/filter and tire rotation; I am at 7500 miles so this will be second service (first one was free). They want to charge me $150 for the "7500 mile service" that includes rotate AND balance, system check, etc. yet an oil/filter change is only about $70. For some reason, I always try and take a new car to the dealer for the first year or so then grow frustrated by the $$ and being told I need to replace or service things that are not needed/required

Am I missing something?? According to the mannual thats all the 7500 mile service really calls for. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason to pay $150 for the official "7500" mile service from your dealer??

This is why I hate taking my car to the dealer for service, whether its honda, nissan, toyota, etc. Its a major pain and overpriced.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM
DmfG37sTT

I never really went to my dealership for service. Only for the first couple oil changes and then started going to a custom shop closer to me. Dealerships are a major pain and do cost alot. Alot of people have alot of trouble with their dealership. Just seems alot easier to take it to someone you know/trust.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You need to change your oil, rotate tires, and check a few things. You can DIY very easily for about $40 or less using a premium synthetic or pay the dealership $150 for doing the same thing.

The dealership sees my car if the service is free, something is wrong that's covered by warranty, or when it needs TSB work. Once in a while I drop in to say hi and show the service writer my mods. I'm surprised they don't charge me for that.

The techs at my dealership are certified, knowledgeable, and do good work, but their labor rate and parts are too expensive for me when I can easily do it myself or take it to a local performance shop with better techs that charges about 60% of what they charge for labor. If online dealerships can give me parts at a much lower price than my local dealership can, why would I buy from them when the OEM parts are exactly the same? This tells me that my local dealership can give me a discount on parts and still turn a reasonable profit, they just choose not to. So I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

Last edited by Black Betty; 08-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
The dealership sees my car if the service is free, something is wrong that's covered by warranty, or when it needs TSB work.
I'm with you. The car is so easy to maintain. Even if you don't change your own oil, you ought to be able to handle the engine air filters and cabin filter on DIY basis. I get my tires rotated for free at Discount Tire. Wiper blades are a snap.

I'll probably take mine in every 30,000 miles for inspection/replacement of items unrelated to engine oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades & tires.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Peace of mind, is the only reason I take my car into the dealership. However, I've learned a lot from my past Acura TL. Made great friends, and going to th dealership was always reasonable after (friendly discounts up to 60%). Infiniti...meh, EXPENSIVE! I had my windshield replaced by the dealer, for 1200 bucks. I could've had an aftermarket do it with OEM material. Would've cheaper, and they probably wouldn't have the damage they did; pillar ripped (replaced) and scuff on paint + ripped window sill. I've yet to call to schedule an appointment - dreading it.

DO IT YOURSELF!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
SM_Shadowman

TissueGuy, I'm guessing (hoping) the buck-fifty quote includes nissan ester oil which might account for the bulk of the cost. The stuff goes for up to $12/quart from the dealership and just the oil change (plus "inspections") can run $100 from the dealership with that.

If you aren't a DIY kind of guy you'd be better off buying 5.2 quarts of a good oil (check the various threads on the subject down in the tech forums for some recommendations) and taking it to a local mechanic. Any place can do an oil change + tire rotation.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I'll go for routine maintenance for the life of the warranty. Once it's over, I have a local independent shop I'll take it to. They've already put in my HFCs/Gen 3/FI CBE...

And the dealer has no problems with my mods. Heck, they have coupe/sedan Stillen exhausts and intakes hanging on their wall in the service bay.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have always done my own work. My friend owns a shop that is 2 blocks from where I live. I buy my own parts and use his lift on a Saturday.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TissueGuy
Can anyone tell me if there is any reason to pay $150 for the official "7500" mile service from your dealer??
I took mine into the dealership for an oil change, brought my own oil and filter - cost $32. I get my tires rotated at Discount Tire for free, even though I didn't buy them there. Have bought from them many times in the past, though... I would change my own oil, but my heavy duty floor jack won't fit under the car.. and for $32, I can let the dealer deal with the mess.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 08-05-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
Wiper blades are a snap.
Just curious, where can you get those funny looking wiper blades, other than at the stealership?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:06 AM
PascalT

i follow this post by a user here before;

'I just did a review of the 2010 service manual for the G37. After throwing out all of the "inspections", here's what you're left with:
Every three months or 3,750 miles - replace oil and filter;
Every six months or 7,500 miles - rotate tires (not on staggered fitment);
Every year or 15,000 miles - replace in-cabin air filter (DIY!);
Every two years or 30,000 miles - replace engine air filters (DIY - 2 minutes tops!!);
Every 48 months or 60,000 miles - replace coolant; and
Every 84 months or 105,000 miles - replace spark plugs;
That's it! If you think that paying thousands of dollars extra to have the tech stare at the underside of the car for a couple of seconds during the above service for inspections, then by all means, it's your money.

Now, if you're concerned that your wheels will fall off without those expensive inspections, note that all dealers perform a complementary multi-point inspection for any service. Look at the checklist on the complementary form - it's right there in the maintenance booklet, page 13 - and you'll notice that they inspect anything worth looking at for free. "
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Just curious, where can you get those funny looking wiper blades, other than at the stealership?
Dunno. I get RainX Latitudes from Amazon for $25 per pair (no tax & free shipping!). 26x16 fit the 2010 sedan, although I have read where 26x17 fit the coupe.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by PascalT
Now, if you're concerned that your wheels will fall off without those expensive inspections, note that all dealers perform a complementary multi-point inspection for any service. Look at the checklist on the complementary form - it's right there in the maintenance booklet, page 13 - and you'll notice that they inspect anything worth looking at for free.
Wow - I totally missed this. Awesome.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PascalT
i follow this post by a user here before;

'I just did a review of the 2010 service manual for the G37. After throwing out all of the "inspections", here's what you're left with:
Every three months or 3,750 miles - replace oil and filter;
Every six months or 7,500 miles - rotate tires (not on staggered fitment);
Every year or 15,000 miles - replace in-cabin air filter (DIY!);
Every two years or 30,000 miles - replace engine air filters (DIY - 2 minutes tops!!);
Every 48 months or 60,000 miles - replace coolant; and
Every 84 months or 105,000 miles - replace spark plugs;
That's it! If you think that paying thousands of dollars extra to have the tech stare at the underside of the car for a couple of seconds during the above service for inspections, then by all means, it's your money.

Now, if you're concerned that your wheels will fall off without those expensive inspections, note that all dealers perform a complementary multi-point inspection for any service. Look at the checklist on the complementary form - it's right there in the maintenance booklet, page 13 - and you'll notice that they inspect anything worth looking at for free. "
Yeah, that was my post. I threw out all of the inspections on my last car, and it was in fantastic condition on lease return. I spent a fraction of what the idiots paying for service by mileage (3750 mile, 7500 mile, 15k mile, etc.) were paying, and got in and out of the service department quickly and relatively inexpensively.

Let's all be thankful for the "service by mileage" buyers, though. Their delusions are responsible for the free donuts and internet connection at the service department. That said, one thing that I feel is missing from the service schedule is changing the brake fluid. For some reason, this item is left out completely (even on the "premium" service schedule), and in my opinion it's worth changing the brake fluid every 2-3 years at most. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and over time the boiling point of the fluid will be decreased for this reason. This is a bad thing if you ever need to brake hard repeatedly.

In summary, never ask your dealer how much a 15k service costs. Instead, pay ala carte for tangible service items (listed above), and let someone else pay to have the blinker fluid checked.

Last edited by 15951; 08-06-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
TissueGuy

Thank you everyone for your insight. I am ready to head to the dealer in the AM with service mannual in hand (for the FREE multi-point inspection).

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Service