G37 Sedan

A/C issue for brand new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Nilsen9491

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C issue for brand new owner

I am the proud new father of a 2010 G37 Sedan. I love this car. Hate the cup holders, but love the car. So today, I observed some strange behavior from the A/C. Would like to see if anyone has experienced this and if so, what was the solution that either you found or infiniti provided?

Not every time, but about 5 times in just as many hours, when I would start the car, the A/C would pump out hot air. I did some experimenting by starting the car with and w/o Auto/Dual on and off, at different temps, and I haven't noticed any pattern. At one point, I idled with the door open, and could hear the condenser clicking on and off in about 2-4 second intervals, and during this on/off cycle (which repeated about 4 times) cold air would come out. In order to get A/C to blow hot air, we basically have to turn the A/C on and off, and eventually, it would start cooling. When the system finally gets going, it stays on just fine until I turned off the car. It seems this occurred more after making frequent stops while running errands. Meaning, car runs for 10 minutes, I'm in the store for 20, and then hop back in and go for 10 more minutes.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the car to the dealership! The car is either low on refrigerant or has a bad pressure sensor.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
CGAR

I believe this is starting to be a known issue with Infiniti, but no fix yet. Most likely a program issue.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Jimbo

I have this same problem with my 2010 G37. The a/c will turn off intermittently and warm air will blow out. Have you brought it to the dealer yet?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CGAR
I believe this is starting to be a known issue with Infiniti, but no fix yet. Most likely a program issue.
What I've noticed on mine is (and I know this is strange behavior for both me and the car) - if I shift to nuetral while rolling up to a light, the A/C compressor seems to turn off after I come to a full stop, or right when I go back into Drive. This doesn't happen every time, but it's somewhat repeatable. I can certainly tell when it's off, as it's 100+ in Dallas these days...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Something is definitely wrong. I'm in S. Florida, and my air conditioning blows so cold that I have to turn the vents away from me and turn it to 77 degrees in August mid-day sun (95+ degrees).

If the compressor is cycling that often, it sounds like a problem with the orifice tube or expansion valve. Those items regulate the flow of refrigerant in the system.

I wouldn't expect the system to be low on refrigerant right from the factory, but stranger things have happened.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 09 air conditioning rocks, I was in 114º and it works with ease. I could not tell if the compressor is working while sitting in the car, no noise, no surge, no hot air. It cools down so fast my wife was amazed; by the way she hates the cup holders too.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Nilsen9491

Thanks for all the input. I've got an appointment to drop the car off on Friday afternoon. I'll be sure to come back and let you know what they have to say.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM
DigMy35x

Um, do yourself a favor - take them on a test drive and show them what is happening. I would all but guarantee that they will give you a response similar to the following:

"Could not duplicate" or "System works as designed".

Save yourself the frustration and spend the time to show someone in the service department otherwise you risk having to go back and forth on the same issue again and again.

Just a suggestion but I just had some work done and when they picked up my car I asked the driver to listen for a 'whistle' that I'm getting from the rear passenger window but only at speeds over 50mph. He said he didn't hear it and the service department said they didn't hear it. Ok. . . well, even my wife can hear it and she usually doesn't notice thse things!!! So now I have to drive to the dealership and drive one of the techs around to show them that there actually is a noise and it's not just in my head. Oh, and it is 100%+ repeatable.

Hook yourself up and prove the issue to them - you'll be happy you did!

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Incidentally - I don't have this issue either. My a/c is ice cold all of the time and I often have to turn the temp wayyyy up to get a comfortable temperature in the car.

Jay
Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 AM
ajayme44

Same problem

Our 2010 G started having the A/C turn off when stopped intermittently. I just dropped it off. Funny thing my 2010 G loaner does it also. Must be a "feature". Not a good feature here in Dallas when it's over 104 degrees
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are you guys driving hard? This car disengages the AC if heavy throttle input is detected to maximize performance
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 AM
ajayme44

I wouldn't call stopped in traffic "driving hard". There is no problem when accelerating or driving at speed. Occurs only when stopped, at least for me.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
movinon

I have put a little over 6,000 miles on my 2010. All of it in hot weather. The A/C is always turned on. It works fine keeping the car cool.
My only complaint is the auto feature. On longer trips, I usually have to adjust the setting. It never gets too warm, just occasionally too cold. On all my other cars I just set it and forget it.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Nilsen9491

I took the vehicle into service today. I drove the car around for an hour or so, and even drove it a little hard, to get her good and heated up. I've noticed the issue happens on the hottest of days (of course). Drove for about 45 minutes on the freeway, pulling over 3 or 4 times, shutting the car down, and restarting to try to reproduce the issue. No luck.

So I gave up and took it into the dealership. The service clerk who helped me, we'll call him Mr. Weprobablycannotfixtheissuebecausewecan'tduplicate it, was very defensive, which was a little upsetting. Frankly, I'd rather him be empathetic and just tell me he'll "have the guys take a look."

So when he's turning over the loaner, he needed my insurance, so I had to go back out to the car. Oh a whim, I started her up, and wouldn't you know, the problem reproduced itself! I ran into the service office and grabbed the clerk to rush him outside. This particular clerk definitely not accustomed to moving quickly, came out and as he put it, "I have to admit it, it's not working right." Well damn straight it's not working right! I found this guys whole attitude pretty sad. So he ran into the shop and grabbed the first mechanic he could find, and he got in the car, fiddled with the controls, and suddenly I heard the compressor come on. So I told them both, "Ok now watch, it's going to get cold." they said it wouldn't because he just changed the mode. And just as I started to tell him that I heard the compressor come on, it suddenly got cold. Man, talk about reproducing the problem. Doesn't get better than that. The clerk promptly sent me on my way.

Now I don't know if they'll be able to reproduce the problem again tomorrow when they are actually going to work on it, but I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsen9491
The service clerk who helped me, we'll call him Mr. Weprobablycannotfixtheissuebecausewecan'tduplicate it...
They should provide that name tag to most service advisors before they let them handle customers.

I had an audio problem with my last car, and ended up driving it to the dealer without an appointment when it happened, because otherwise there's no way they could have duplicated it. IMO, they turn the car on , stare out the window for 30 seconds, and then write "could not duplicate" on the work order. I would appreciate an honest "don't give a damn, and not dealing with it today" over "could not duplicate".

In any case, don't worry - your service advisor will call in sick tomorrow, and a different tech will not duplicate the issue tomorrow!!

Quick Reply: A/C issue for brand new owner