G37 Sedan

A/C issue for brand new owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have tint on my rear window (20%), side windows (35%). What's weird is that the issue isn't consistent. Most of the time it works great and I end freezing my *** off.

Some hot days it will take 10-15+ minutes for noticeably cool air to come out. Some hot days it works just fine. So maybe the freon is low and needs to circulate, maybe the ecm needs to be updated, who knows I just need to get my *** to the dealer, but it's VERY hard to reproduce.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My car blows beer cold air. But how long it takes to get to beer cold depends on how long the car has baked in the sun, and how long it takes to get the car out of the 25 mph speed limit on the local streets. Generally in my car it takes a few minutes to get to beer cold on the hottest of days. But the climate control works fine with temperature set to 70.

Cool air starts to come out of the vents within seconds of turning on the a/c.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
YES, this has happened to me several times. When its HOT (I'm in Texas), and I am at a light, it will blow hot air. Brought to dealer, they tested it and are aware of this issue. It blew cold as hell when they checked it. Again, has to be really hot out and the compressor will turn off.

I'm not saying the HEAt turns it off, but thast is when I notice it and when it has happaned. usually while sitting at a stop light.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 AM
PAULY_LONG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfinity
I believe the sunload sensor is the culprit.
The auto a.c in my maxima was not like this.
I recently replaced my 99 i30 with a '10 G37x - the thing I've noticed is that there is no *inside* ambient air temperature sensor. The sunload sensor definitely affects the climate control system, but the larger culprit is the lack of an interior sensor.

A couple examples:

1. On a trip to Vegas, the external temp was 113 - i had to turn the climate control up to 77 to avoid freezing to death

2. Yesterday, my car was parked outside, but it was a cool day. External temp, 65, interior temp toasty. Climate control set to 70. Wanna guess what temperature the air was blowing out? (hint - not cold) Had to turn the climate control all the way down to 62 to get a proper temp.

3. On my 99 i30, i set the climate control at 68 and *NEVER* had to adjust it up or down fall, winter, spring or summer. Didn't matter what the outside temp was, the climate control used the *inside* ambient air sensor to determine the appropriate temp/fan speed combo.

Love my new G37, but the climate control is inferior in every way to the i30 it replaced. I'm constantly tweaking the temp depending on the *outside* temp rather than the *inside* temp (because there's no f-ing sensor).
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by PAULY_LONG
I recently replaced my 99 i30 with a '10 G37x - the thing I've noticed is that there is no *inside* ambient air temperature sensor. The sunload sensor definitely affects the climate control system, but the larger culprit is the lack of an interior sensor.

A couple examples:

1. On a trip to Vegas, the external temp was 113 - i had to turn the climate control up to 77 to avoid freezing to death

2. Yesterday, my car was parked outside, but it was a cool day. External temp, 65, interior temp toasty. Climate control set to 70. Wanna guess what temperature the air was blowing out? (hint - not cold) Had to turn the climate control all the way down to 62 to get a proper temp.

3. On my 99 i30, i set the climate control at 68 and *NEVER* had to adjust it up or down fall, winter, spring or summer. Didn't matter what the outside temp was, the climate control used the *inside* ambient air sensor to determine the appropriate temp/fan speed combo.

Love my new G37, but the climate control is inferior in every way to the i30 it replaced. I'm constantly tweaking the temp depending on the *outside* temp rather than the *inside* temp (because there's no f-ing sensor).
It is highly unlikely there is no interior air sensor on a Venturi tube somewhere beneath the dash.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Hapa DC5

Like clock work another summer is upon us. The AC was taking a while to get cold once again. I had a buddy of mine who works at Nissan check it out, he recharged my AC and found it to be more than a .25 lbs. low. Which is quite a bit since the system only holds 1.21 lbs. total.

Since then (this is only day 2 now) the AC has been getting cold fairly quickly. I'll probably have him do the ECM reprogram as well if my AC starts acting up.

How is everyone else holding up?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Like clock work another summer is upon us. The AC was taking a while to get cold once again. I had a buddy of mine who works at Nissan check it out, he recharged my AC and found it to be more than a .25 lbs. low. Which is quite a bit since the system only holds 1.21 lbs. total.

Since then (this is only day 2 now) the AC has been getting cold fairly quickly. I'll probably have him do the ECM reprogram as well if my AC starts acting up.

How is everyone else holding up?
Same as a year ago. Beer cold.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Hapa DC5

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Same as a year ago. Beer cold.
Haven't seen you on AZ in a while!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Haven't seen you on AZ in a while!
I've mostly been following the new TLX threads and keeping under the radar. You've been quiet as well.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Chicken man

I've been reading the threads to do with the "beer cooler" A/C. I've had this problem from new (2010 G37xS) & have had the dealer check it several times. Always got the same "could not duplicate problem" or "A/C operating normally". I see that several people have mentioned a "sun sensor" or some such thing. A asked my service rep about it and was told there are only 2 sensors for the HVAC system, 1 behind the grill to sense the outside temp & 1 by the driver's right knee to read the cabin temp. I said that there must by another sensor monitoring the sunshine as it's the sun that sends my A/C into overdrive when it peaks out from behind a cloud! Does anyone know where that sun sensor is? I'd like to drive around with it covered to see what happens.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
PAULY_LONG

Originally Posted by Chicken man
Does anyone know where that sun sensor is? I'd like to drive around with it covered to see what happens.
If you look closely, there are two circular (about the size of a nickel) elements - each one roughly straight out in front of driver/passenger next to the defog/defrost vents on the dashboard where it meets the windshield. One is the ambient light detector (determines whether to auto turn on the headlights). The other is the sun load sensor, which sends the A/C into over-drive.

Put your headlights to auto, and cover one of the sensors. If the headlights come on, the other one is the sun load sensor.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Chicken man

Thanks Pauly_Long. I thought those might be the culprits but wasn't sure. I'll do as you suggest to see which is which.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Chicken man

Update:

I took my car to the dealership last week for maybe the sixth time regarding this issue. I finally got one of their mechanics to sit with me in the car so I could show him how it blasts out cold air whenever the sun comes out & how it stops when the Sunload Sensor is covered up. He agreed that there was a problem. He looked to see if there were any
Technical Service Bulletins on it & found none. He said that he would call their technical support people but would likely get an answer to the effect that there was nothing that could be done about it. We commiserated about such design flaws but all we came up with was that I should find something to cover the Sunload Sensor. I left there & went to Lowes. I bought something called Grippers which are 1" diameter "peel & stick" circles of black pads for the bottoms of "lamps, coffee tables, step stools & desks". They appear to be made of a vinyl-like material and perfectly cover the left sensor on the dash by the windshield (will try to attach a picture of them). So far, so good!

The mechanic promised to let me know what tech support says. I'll update if I hear anything other than "You're S.O.L."!
Attached Thumbnails A/C issue for brand new owner-photo-17-.jpg