G37 Sedan

A/C issue for brand new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Nilsen9491
It's been good and hot here in Houston since last Friday, and I'm glad to report that the A/C seems to be working great. Infiniti apparently solved the issue!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Nilsen9491

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh good god! The problem is back. I contacted the dealership, who has now directed me to Infiniti Customer Affairs about the issue. Here's the cool thing, I've caught the issue they couldn't replicate on video, and of course, posted it on Youtube!

YouTube - Hot A/C
Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh good god! The problem is back. I contacted the dealership, who has now directed me to Infiniti Customer Affairs about the issue. Here's the cool thing, I've caught the issue they couldn't replicate on video, and of course, posted it on Youtube!

YouTube - Hot A/C
Awesome! Just watched it.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Nilsen9491

I'll let you know what sort of response I get from Infiniti, and of course, will let you know how (assuming they do) fix the issue.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM
filthee

I'm glad I found this thread. My '10 G37 sedan does the same thing. Not quite as extreme as the Youtube video (yet anyway) but definitely noticeable when I come to a red light.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM
mooshoofooie

I am the proud new father of a 2010 G37 Sedan. I love this car. Hate the cup holders, but love the car. So today, I observed some strange behavior from the A/C. Would like to see if anyone has experienced this and if so, what was the solution that either you found or infiniti provided?

Not every time, but about 5 times in just as many hours, when I would start the car, the A/C would pump out hot air. I did some experimenting by starting the car with and w/o Auto/Dual on and off, at different temps, and I haven't noticed any pattern. At one point, I idled with the door open, and could hear the condenser clicking on and off in about 2-4 second intervals, and during this on/off cycle (which repeated about 4 times) cold air would come out. In order to get A/C to blow hot air, we basically have to turn the A/C on and off, and eventually, it would start cooling. When the system finally gets going, it stays on just fine until I turned off the car. It seems this occurred more after making frequent stops while running errands. Meaning, car runs for 10 minutes, I'm in the store for 20, and then hop back in and go for 10 more minutes.

Any thoughts?
Originally Posted by ajayme44
I wouldn't call stopped in traffic "driving hard". There is no problem when accelerating or driving at speed. Occurs only when stopped, at least for me.
yup. mine does that too. only when stopped at a red light. the idle rpm is the same, so who knows; maybe it's a gas saving feature? i live in texas, but the only time it gets annoying is if i just left a parking lot and my car is hot.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:38 PM
filthee

I had something really strange happen to me today. I felt the air start to blow warm which I've noticed before, but this time I wasn't able to change anything related to the AC.

I would turn the **** hotter or colder and nothing would happen. Normally I'd see the display change to show the temp I was changing it to, but this time nothing. It's almost like the display froze up or something.

I also noticed that if I turned on 'auto AC' by pushing in the first AC ****, I wasn't able to to turn auto AC off. Once I turned it on it stayed on until I turned the entire AC off.

Very strange. Not what I expected from this car. X0
Old 10-02-2010, 01:14 AM
dbg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
solution

It has taken me awhile to respond back on this issue, but I think it is only fair to do so. Infiniti did fix my car and thus far it has been working ok.
The dealer replaced the compressor in my case and told me it had seized.
I am only assuming that the clutch had some kind of fuseable link to prevent it from engaging once the compressor had failed. But in my case it was rather obvious that the clutch would not engage and there was no working a/c.
Either that or the compressor has other issues that they are not telling me, but you can only assume that if the clutch were the only problem they would not have replaced the whole unit. Of course they may be building these things in a fashion that does not allow for a seperate clutch replacement and only sell the compressor assembly complete.

Otherwise my experience with the dealer wasn't too bad. I picked up the car and immediately noticed heavy steering and returned it. Seems that the plug to the speed sensitive portion of the rack was not properly plugged in and the power steering was not providing boost. It took them less than 10 minutes to fix and return the car. When they pulled hardware out from under the air deflector to access the compressor, the plug didn't get shoved back on all the way.
I didn't mind that, but felt it to be a bit disconcerting that they drove it to me and didn't notice it. I discovered it as soon as I turned the wheel in the lot.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Nilsen9491

So it's been a long time since I've followed up with the group. Here's an update.

The car was put into the shop 5 times, and they couldn't fix the issue. Per Texas lemon law, 5th time is the charm. I wrote a letter to Nissan, demanding action before I send in the lemon law paperwork. Attention was plentiful after that. Working with Nissan, we arranged a vehicle swap. I'm getting a new 2011 G37, almost the exact same configuration, for an additional $1,800. Problem solved after a lot of headache.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it's been a long time since I've followed up with the group. Here's an update.

The car was put into the shop 5 times, and they couldn't fix the issue. Per Texas lemon law, 5th time is the charm. I wrote a letter to Nissan, demanding action before I send in the lemon law paperwork. Attention was plentiful after that. Working with Nissan, we arranged a vehicle swap. I'm getting a new 2011 G37, almost the exact same configuration, for an additional $1,800. Problem solved after a lot of headache.
Good that it is resolved to your satisfaction. But why additional $1,800?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 AM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah why not take $$ and negotiate. Did you get your 2010 under invoice?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Nilsen9491

Per Texas lemon law, I would have to pay for "reasonable use" of the vehicle. There's a formula that is used based on what you paid for the vehicle. That would have translated to approx $3000, not to mention all the headache that would go along with that process. Per Lemon law, they would have one last opportunity to repair, and if the problem still wasn't solved, I could pursue replacement of the vehicle, paying for reasonable use, or a refund, minus the reasonable use. I'm here to tell you, even though the lemon law is designed to protect the consumer, any option other than the repair results in the consumer paying a little bit more out of pocket. I think the extra is worth rolling back the odo 16,000 miles.

I got my 2010 as a demo with about 5,500 miles for $35k. The way I look at it, it's like getting a 2011 for $37k, but paying taxes only on $35k of it, and having a warrantied vehicle for 136,000 miles. I think it is a good deal so long as you have the spare cash.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Gpimptastic

I have the same issue! Brand-new 2010 G37: Air from the air conditioner gets hot when stopped in traffic about 20% of the time. The fan continues to blow but the air changes temperature drastically when stopped at a stoplight. It seems like the compressor is shutting off. I can put the car in neutral to raise the RPM and the air cools back down. This is happening in the (Houston) winter as well. The air gets damp. I took the car to the dealer but I could not recreate the problem at that time and they could not find anything. The service writer was really trying to make this operator error and suggested I turn the temperature down to 65 degrees. That does not help the problem and makes the car freezing (duh) once I start moving. I asked him to check the belts, Freon level, compressor and alternator output at low RPM but I am not confident that he really did.

Last edited by Gpimptastic; 03-29-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: too long
Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am the proud new father of a 2010 G37 Sedan. I love this car. Hate the cup holders, but love the car. So today, I observed some strange behavior from the A/C. Would like to see if anyone has experienced this and if so, what was the solution that either you found or infiniti provided...
I have had issues with the opposite. When the heat is on, occasionally the car starts blowing out cool or cold air. I haven't noticed a pattern either, and it seems to go away when I restart the car. I haven't had the dealer look at it yet...but I figure there is some sort of system glitch....the same type of glitch that has my instrument panel lighting up all the d@mn time. And as a matter of fact...I have noticed that whil running the heat...sometimes the AC will turn on by itself...and dont press the "recirculation" button while running the heat...because that also tursn on the AC. Try it!

...and still...I love my baby...she's a high maintanence ho...these things are what happens when you mess with "Pretty Hoes"...LOL.

Last edited by Only4theGnme; 03-29-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another summer, same issue. Last summer it acted up, but it was almost August when I bought the car and didn't have too many scorchers, a couple of hot days, but not the end of my world.

Now, once every couple of times the a/c will just blow warm or take forever to cool down. I'd have to mess with the settings and turn it on and off. Eventually it became cold. Need to schedule a trip to the dealer. I guess we'll start with the reprogram and see if that works.

Quick Reply: A/C issue for brand new owner