G37 Sedan

A/C issue for brand new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nilsen9491
Got the vehicle back after they "reprogrammed the ECM." 24 hours later, problem still exists. They want to get the car back on Monday which is fine with me, but I've lost faith that they can fix the issue.
Check your state's lemon law requirements, and govern yourself accordingly.

If idling in S. Florida traffic doesn't cause the condition in my car, then I can only assume that something is wrong with yours. If Infiniti can't fix it, then they can own it again.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM
jag707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbresee68
Just got an update from the dealer. There is a new software update available today for the A/C system when the car is at low idle. They are going to apply it and keep it one more day to test the fix.

Also, found this on the infiniti website:

Infiniti Publications

"ITB10051

IF YOU CONFIRM: At times, the A/C blows warm with the engine at idle speed, ACTION: 1. Refer to Step 2 in the Service Procedure to confirm this bulletin applies to the vehicle you are working on. 2. If this bulletin applies, reprogram the ECM. See this bulletin for further detail."
Any word if the software update was the solution? I'd like to point my dealer in this directions...claims he has not heard of this issue being raised before. An ITB would certainly be an indication of a wider problem.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 PM
mbresee

Originally Posted by jag707
Any word if the software update was the solution? I'd like to point my dealer in this directions...claims he has not heard of this issue being raised before. An ITB would certainly be an indication of a wider problem.
Yeah, wanted to give it a few days before giving an update. So far, it seems to have fixed the problem. I have been driving it the same way. I haven't seen the rpm dropping to 500 anymore and haven't felt warm/humid air coming from the vents while stopped either.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
jag707

Originally Posted by mbresee
Yeah, wanted to give it a few days before giving an update. So far, it seems to have fixed the problem. I have been driving it the same way. I haven't seen the rpm dropping to 500 anymore and haven't felt warm/humid air coming from the vents while stopped either.
Good to hear...was the software update part of the ITB or a separate solution? I brought the ITB10051 to my dealers attention, so they most likely will reprogram the ECM when I take my car in next weekend. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated...even your technician's contact info to pass along to my technician.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM
mbresee68

Originally Posted by jag707
Good to hear...was the software update part of the ITB or a separate solution? I brought the ITB10051 to my dealers attention, so they most likely will reprogram the ECM when I take my car in next weekend. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated...even your technician's contact info to pass along to my technician.
The dealer had informed me there was a software solution and I just stumbled across ITB10051, so I am assuming there are one in the same. I'll give the dealership a call and see if I can get that info for you. Not making any promises though. I called them looking to see what body shop they use because someone put about a 12 inch scratch on my back right panel by the gas cover, no return call.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Nilsen9491

Latest update: The dealership has my car for the 3rd time. Per my state's lemon laws, if the car goes into service 4 or more times, it is considered a lemon.

They called today and told me they couldn't reproduce the problem. I let them know that since I reproduced the problem for another dealership, it's up to them to fix it. They agreed. For the first time today, they brought up possibly having to replace the car. My problem isn't just the hot air that blows at low RPM, but blowing hot when the car starts. They couldn't reproduce the issue, but it hasn't been hot enough this week to recreate it. I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Nilsen9491

I want to add, they reprogrammed my ECM, but that didn't solve the problem. Doh!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Nilsen9491

Got the car back yesterday. They tell me that a solution came out on friday for the issue. Essentially, they tell me that since the vehicle was idling so low, it was cutting off the A/C in "safe mode." So far so good....maybe they finally solved the issue?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM
jag707

Glad to hear of your success...so, essentially, at very low idle rpm's there is a trigger mechanism putting the a/c in safe mode. Any idea if they have a specific name for the solution that came out on Friday? I'm taking my car in this Saturday and they are planning to reprogram the ECM based on the ITB10051 mentioned earlier in thread, but that didn't work for you. Trying to avoid multiple visits. Thanks again for info.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsen9491
Got the car back yesterday. They tell me that a solution came out on friday for the issue. Essentially, they tell me that since the vehicle was idling so low, it was cutting off the A/C in "safe mode." So far so good....maybe they finally solved the issue?
Odd that this isn't a widespread problem. If the ECU programming is causing the problem, I'd think an entire VIN range would be affected.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 AM
movinon

I haven't had any problem with the air conditioning blowing hot air and I live in SW Florida.
I was wondering if you knew what your idle was set at before they reset it and what it is set at now?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
dbg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, add me to the ranks of the G37 owners with no a/c. The compressor won't engage the clutch at any rpm. So it will be interesting to see what Infiniti comes up with as the solution to this widening issue.
I only have 8800 miles on the 2010.

I have an idea that it is not the clutch or compressor itself but some sort of pressure / limit switch, or control board has failed. There would be brief instances where the a/c seemed to be putting out warm air previously and then start cooling as usual. I just chalked that up to hot air captured that needed to be expelled. But this is pretty obvious.
More than likely it is a bad batch of supplied components that Infiniti got and it is affecting a broad number of cars.

The dealer had no problems seeing the issue and hopefully will have a fix for it. In the meantime I have a loaner EX which gets me around.

Sounds like Infiniti will likely be doing a recall to address this at some point because it looks like the tip of the iceberg. Too many new cars having similar problems.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
jag707

Good news...a/c is fixed. Scheduled an appointment with dealer and informed tech of ITB10051 as well as experiences of other G37 owners. Tech said Infiniti has a software update to go along with reprogram/resetting of ECM. Problem was rpm's dipping below 500 and triggering a/c system response to protect a/c at such low idle. I now notice idle around 600-700 rpm at stops and a/c stays fully engaged.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 PM
washduce

A/C works great and I keep it around 78...its about 94 today in S.C. does the A/C really shut off at high performance?? Wow.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Nilsen9491

It's been good and hot here in Houston since last Friday, and I'm glad to report that the A/C seems to be working great. Infiniti apparently solved the issue!

Quick Reply: A/C issue for brand new owner