G37 Sedan

A/C issue for brand new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Nilsen9491

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got the car back, and the dealership tried to send me away without telling me what they actually did. On the ticket, there were 3 things that I asked be looked at. First was the A/C. Despite reproducing the issue, alll they did was check all the connections. That's it. They told me to bring it back again if the problem persists, and that often times the problem is fixed by "jiggling the wires." What kind of b.s. is that? The service clerk that helped came up to me while I was waiting for the car to be brought out, and I let him know that I was quite unsatisfied that they really didn't do anything.

The other 2 issues were in regards to the bluetooth (which they marked "working at this time," and an issue that comes up when I start my car with an MP3 player plugged in. On that line, they simply marked that they didn't have an MP3 player to test it with. my lord. I told him I'd see him again soon.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Nilsen9491

Oh joy. I was running around today, and the problem has reoccured. I'm going to have to send a message to the service clerk and see what they have to say.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
DigMy35x

See, just another typical G driver. Silly rabbit, don't you know that 'jiggling the wires' fixes everything?!?!?!

It must be something completely different because there is no doubt that 'jiggling the wires' should have solved your problem.

Sometimes I understand why the service departments get so frustrated with us.

Nilsen - please realize that the problem doesn't exist and that it's all in your head.

Here is the written response you should get in a written note from the service manager: "If a tree falls in the woods and the only person around to hear it is one of our less than honest G owners, then there is no sound. The best way for us to solve the problem is to do nothing. It isn't there, or did you forget - we went above and beyond to 'jiggle some wires' and go that extra mile for you. It's not a big deal if your a/c is working as designed. All of the G's blow out hot air periodically when it's 95 degrees outside. Please don't bring it back as we'll just pretend we couldn't duplicate it anyway - see the 'tree in the woods' comment above. We'll be glad to pretend we care and that we don't notice the issue . . . don't worry. Please enjoy the car and be sure to come back for all of your over priced service needs!! Oh, and don't forget to give us a 10 out of 10 on your satisfaction survey. As a matter of fact, we'll be glad to fill that out for you."

Sheesh. Good luck Nilsen - your gonna need it!!!!

Keep us posted and stay cool (literally and figuratively!)

Jay
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Jimbo

I've experienced the same a/c problem with my 2010 G37. The a/c seems to turn off sometimes while the car is stopped/idled. Still contemplating when the best time is to bring her in. Maybe if enough of us bring this a/c issue up they will actually do something about it.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Jimbo

Just got off the phone with my service guy at Nalley Infiniti. He said that they were aware of the a/c compressor turning off at idle but that Infiniti does not have a fix for it just yet. At least they are acknowledging the problem.

Last edited by Jimbo; 08-13-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Just got off the phone with my service guy at Nalley Infiniti. He said that they were aware of the a/c compressor turning off at idle but that Infiniti does not have a fix for it just yet. At least they are acknowledging the problem.
There must be specific conditions that cause the problem. I'm in S. Florida and my air is too cold all the time...I've never seen a system quite like it. I have to turn the sucker to 76+ most of the time to avoid freezing. This happens even at idle after starting the car with a blistering hot cabin.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:19 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
There must be specific conditions that cause the problem. I'm in S. Florida and my air is too cold all the time...I've never seen a system quite like it. I have to turn the sucker to 76+ most of the time to avoid freezing. This happens even at idle after starting the car with a blistering hot cabin.
When I have shorts on, it's 82 for me! And I like it COLD... but this is when it's reading 107 on the dash temp guage.

When it's 74 out, I have to crank it down to 68 to get any air out of it. Worst "climate control" system I've ever seen.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 AM
dbg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the air conditioning compressor is not supposed to cycle on & off, but use outside air mix to moderate temperature there is definitely a problem. This might be tied to engine temperature sensors cutting the compressor due to a hot engine condition, or some other electronic control bug.
There has not been any auto manufacturer of late that still asks a compressor to cycle on & off to manage temperature, it simply stresses the system too much. I can recall back in the 70's knowing when the a/c would kick back in, and feeling the power loss. But those compressors also did not last very long and ran with different refrigerants than they use today. The higher pressures needed for todays refrigerants would mean an even more dramatic on / off cycle. They also mean that if you can turn off the a/c and drive without it, you can get considerably better mileage.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really?....I thought all car compressors still cycle on an off in a car..
Old 08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I live in Miami, Florida and it does get hot and humid down here. In 90 plus degree temps I have to turn my A/C to 78 degrees just to keep from freezing, but i do notice on milder days that it does feel like the a/c is blowing hot air but when I adjust the temperature it quickly corrects itself. This a/c system works a hell of alot better than my 06 Maxima a/c system. On hot days it takes a very long time to cool that car. BTW I have a 2010 G37 sedan prem/Nav.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
mbresee68

Great, someone else with a similar problem. I purchased my 2010 g37 back on a Saturday in May and it was in the shop that Monday because when I pulled up to a red light the air conditioner started blowing warm. So far they have replaced the compressor (second trip in) and after having it for a week replaced a sensor that sometimes would report that it was 0 degrees outside (3rd or 4th trip). I dropped it off again today and they are looking at it.

Good thing is they have reproduced the problem before and are more than helpful. I'll also add they have given me both an '09 and '10 loaner. The '09 didn't have this problem but the '10 had the exact same issue.

I'll update this thread if they find anything.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM
mbresee68

Just got an update from the dealer. There is a new software update available today for the A/C system when the car is at low idle. They are going to apply it and keep it one more day to test the fix.

Also, found this on the infiniti website:

http://72.3.186.204/TSB/TSB_xml/nmab...el=&modelyear=

"ITB10051

IF YOU CONFIRM: At times, the A/C blows warm with the engine at idle speed, ACTION: 1. Refer to Step 2 in the Service Procedure to confirm this bulletin applies to the vehicle you are working on. 2. If this bulletin applies, reprogram the ECM. See this bulletin for further detail."

Last edited by mbresee68; 08-17-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Found a link explaining the tsb
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Nilsen9491

I haven't updated you guys in a while but here's where we stand. After receiving the car back from West Side Infiniti, the same issue continued to occur. So the GM and I got on the phone, and he pulled the service record only to find that Clear Lake Infiniti had known about this problem and had already worked on this car. They also repaired a refrigerant leak several months before. So I'm a little ticked that they didn't disclose this info. Did I ask for the service record? No, why would I? It's a new car?!

So I threatened legal action, blah blah blah, and dropped off the car again. The service manager sent me this e-mail:

"We, as in myself, certified technician and Infiniti Tech line staff have been in communications in regards to an issue similar to yours, the diagnosis so far indicates a programming of ECM a main computer that over sees multi-components in 2010 vehicles could be the issue at hand, unfortunately it has not been finalized, having your vehicle in here will essentially assist in pin pointing the issue at hand."

We'll see what happens!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Nilsen9491

Got the vehicle back after they "reprogrammed the ECM." 24 hours later, problem still exists. They want to get the car back on Monday which is fine with me, but I've lost faith that they can fix the issue.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 PM
jag707

No a/c at stops when running errands

I've had my G37 for a week and have noticed the a/c cutting out when making traffic stops...not every stop, but at least once every 3-4 stops. I feel both the temp and humidity rise (along with my frustration). Sounds like I need to take it in...dealer is an hour away.

Quick Reply: A/C issue for brand new owner