G37 Sedan

Acceleration sweet spot

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Acceleration sweet spot

It was stated in another post that the best acceleration numbers are not received by slamming the gas peddle to the floor. Rather it takes a keen sense to perfect a quick punch of the throttle 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down then a gradual throttle increase. Does anybody have data to support this? If i had the iphone i would definitely get the dynolicious or bosche light em up app too check 0-60 stats between slamming the throttle down and hitting it halfway then slowly giving it more fuel.

Maybe those of you with the app can post your data?

It really does seem that this is the case. I usually give the gas a quick punch halfway down then gradually give it more throttle. The feeling of the acceleration swell from doing this makes the car "feel" faster rather than slamming the gas peddle to the floor. the wife and kids agree with this do to the fact that the surge of acceleration makes them feel sick.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 AM
CTG37XS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have any numbers but will in the next few hours. I just picked up my car (10 G37XS) last night so haven't put it through all of the paces yet. During test drives I found that getting on the gas pedal too hard seemed to lag the intial "jump" from a standstill. It seemed to respond better when pressed 1/2 way and then put to the floor once the car reached ~ 4K - 5k in 1st.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
cvroom

CTG37XS congrats. smart purchase on a great car! yea half way down in manual mode and the too the floor around 4k. at that rpm i think thats when the different cam profiles for vvel dump more fuel into the cylinders.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
CTG37XS

thanks. I can't belive the performance of this car versus the 2004 A4 3.0 I used to have. Can't wait to see some German drivers on the road...
Old 07-30-2010, 01:15 PM
CTG37XS

Downloaded the Bosch app and gave it a try. I don’t have a phone mount so I had to hold it in the cup holder to make sure it didn’t move…couldn’t use the paddle shifters. Here’s what I got:

Foot to the floor:
1st run - 6.12
2nd run - 6.08
3rd run 5.99

Average = 6.06

½ throttle to 4K then floored:
1st run - 5.86
2nd run - 5.79
3rd run - 5.72

Average = 5.79

All in all it seems on average it is faster. Again, this is an iphone app that is not in a cradle so it isn’t exact but definitely indicates a difference in performance between the two approaches. This is only my 2nd day with the car and still feeling it out so numbers may be very different for others. I think they are all a bit on the high side too as I thought I noticed a lag in the app versus actual speed.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
majin ssj eric

Thats with brake-torque to 1500 rpm then full throttle all the way.

0 - 60 - 5.38
1/4 mile - 13.94 @102
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Rizzo

Remember the car has that WOT, wide open throttle, software restricting it so putting pedal to the floor from stand still won't give you "full throttle".. just a smooth acceleration.

Last edited by Rizzo; 07-30-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CTG37XS
I don't have any numbers but will in the next few hours. I just picked up my car (10 G37XS) last night so haven't put it through all of the paces yet.
Originally Posted by CTG37XS
Downloaded the Bosch app and gave it a try. I don’t have a phone mount so I had to hold it in the cup holder to make sure it didn’t move…couldn’t use the paddle shifters. Here’s what I got:

Foot to the floor:
1st run - 6.12
2nd run - 6.08
3rd run 5.99
Wow! You're breaking it in on floored test runs! Awesome.. you can even see the performance increasing with subsequent runs!

Towards the thread, I did state in another post recently that I think best performance is not gained by flooring it. Your data shows that - thanks for doing the test! Hope your G likes the agressive break in!

I think this was most notable on the old carburated engines. The carb pump would squirt gas into the throttle body when pushing down the pedal. By giving the engine a steady feed of raw fuel as you would do when slowing pushing the pedal to the floor, the engines seemed to respond better.

This is harder to do with 7 gears. The optimal mix you throw into the engine is going to be based on RPM. In the old days of a 3 speed automatic, or with a clutch, you can feed it.

I can really feel it on my wife's '08 Volvo S60. If I floor it, it just goes... if I floor it slowly, it really takes off. It has a turbo which I can imagine loves a slow feed as the turbo spins up. I can even floor it and as it's accelerating, I can back off the trottle and feel a surge of power as I cross past, backward, that perfect mix it likes.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 PM
ged1067

IDK...it's just the seat of the pants feeling for me, but when I floor it I get a moment of hesitation which doesn't happen when I just increase the pressure on the gas pedal. maybe the hesitation happen because it takes a bit of time when the cars shifts into a lower gear...not sure, but that's how it feels to me. No data backing me up, sorry.

GED
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM
vinnys coupe

Interesting. So basically what your doing is nailing the throttle half way then flooring it from the dig? I would have definitly thought that would be accurate for a coupe hense RWD, but not for an X.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Gazan37
Banned

Btw guys I've also noticed a few things relating shifting on the auto. I have a 5AT:

1. Paddles tend to have more upshift lag than than using the actual shifter in manual mode

2. When in DS mode it seems as if the car lets off the throttle a bit just before it shifts. I haven't noticed this in manual mode, so if you can time your shifts right and accommodate for shift lag, you can get faster times than just using ds.

Also, when tenths of a second matter, it pays to look at a dyno sheet for your specific car to know exactly where the peak horsepower is so that you can shift accordingly.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 AM
use2vw

This is great...I'm impressed with all this techno which only proves prior posts that I have in the "trans lag?" column...For a while I thought something was actually wrong with my trans or gas pedal response, but now it's pretty norm with everyone else rollin a G37 sedan. I really hope that some kinda of flash will cure all this lag/no WOT...performance hindering factory nonsense...GREAT INFO guys/gals!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
If you just went "flat out", you'd just spin the tires, which is even slower.

With the X... well... it doesn't come with summer tires... :shrug:
Old 07-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Gazan37
Banned

Originally Posted by use2vw
This is great...I'm impressed with all this techno which only proves prior posts that I have in the "trans lag?" column...For a while I thought something was actually wrong with my trans or gas pedal response, but now it's pretty norm with everyone else rollin a G37 sedan. I really hope that some kinda of flash will cure all this lag/no WOT...performance hindering factory nonsense...GREAT INFO guys/gals!
You can get a hypertech system to get rid of throttle lag and also tune your setup.

Shifting can be cured with GTMs valve body upgrade supposedly. Still waiting for a review on that one.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't really have any Techno data to support my claims of the Tranny - Lag / Hesitation.....I've Posted on a separate Thread about my unhappiness with the 2010 G37X tranny. The ECU / Drivetrain changes that Infiniti made has ruined this car. The 07 G35X with the 5AT and the "smaller" engine was a far better driver. Even with 1500 miles on my new one, it has gotten better from when i first got it, is still not the Driving car I had. Not only lags and hesitates [ try going down a local street, hit the brakes slightly, then hit the throttle and I feel hesitation]. This is Infiniti's way to cure the complaints that were posted about the abrupt / over-sensitive throttle response in the 07. I LOVED that response - very little lag if any, and definitely not from a Standing Start...Man I miss that car. I see that members keep hoping for a ECU/Drivetrain "fix" - ECU software upgrade....ME TOO. Hurry Up INFIINITI !!!

Quick Reply: Acceleration sweet spot