G37 Sedan

Acceleration sweet spot

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, my tranny works just fine. No noticeable lag of any kind....
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
allagaroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acceleration sweet spot -passing

OK so it seems that 1/2 to 3/4 throttle off the line and gradually floor it after app 4 grand. I assume manual would give u best times followed by DS and then D.

What about when passing? I find a similar situation. If I'm going 60 and kick it down it doesn't appear to have the same acceleration as if I give it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and then press it to the floor. I don't know if the same applies to all speed ranges or it depends what gear your in. Sometimes I use the paddles in D for passing and downshift one or 2 gears which seems to work well but I have no way to the differences. Again I assume quickest is manual-followed by DS-and then D.

Any thoughts?
Thx
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Rizzo

Hypertech Max Energy Sport Programmer:

Max Energy Power Tuning extracts every bit of energy possible out of every molecule of fuel giving you more miles at part-throttle and more power at wide-open throttle. In order to increase engine efficiency, horsepower and torque, our engineers first make hundreds of dyno runs to optimize the spark and air-fuel curves point by point over the entire rpm band from just off idle to wide open throttle. Next we take the vehicle with the new tune to the track and the street to verify real world performance gains. The results…maximum power, quicker acceleration, smoother shifting and better drive-ability.

Get it tuned or you can just trade in your G for a Ferrari!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 AM
hardlife2

Trying to find sweet Spot

I took the G37 out this morning to try and find the length of hesitation when I pass a vehicle...its about 2-3 seconds. I guessing I can't just hit it and expect a quick response. It seems that I must give it smooth pressure w/o a punch. It's still great going from 60 to 80 mph in a blink...still search for a 37 coupe for me...
Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 AM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just stay in your powerband...4k & ^
Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
majin: is this your first G ? I make my comments because I've had the 07 G35X and I make the comparisons to that Car..... The 07 had a 5AT, more response since it had an "over-sensitive" throttle. There were TSBs about it where the ECU was reprogrammed for owners who had a problem with "head-Jerks" from the Fantastic instant throttle response that That car had. Infiniti has - excuse the pun- has 'throttled it back' by programming the new 3.7 L engine with the 7 speed AT. I am getting better mpgs now at 1800 miles on the clock. But that's why did this - to increase MPGs.. Im going to try to play with the throttle positions some more according to this thread. But I have found that in D or DS modes, at local traffic speeds, if i step on the brakes and immediately hit the gas, I feel a "hesitation" or "lag"...IMO, that is how Infiniti has addressed the over-sensitive Throttle response - reprogrammed the ECU.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 AM
NCNC

Originally Posted by Almatti
[ try going down a local street, hit the brakes slightly, then hit the throttle and I feel hesitation].
This happens to me too. After the hesitation it sometimes clunks into gear before the car starts accelerating. I have over 20000km on my car already and this still happens.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:10 PM
majin ssj eric

I tried this out yesterday, slowing with the brakes then immediately stabbing the throttle. No lag. No hesitation. The only thing that I noticed was that the tranny wants to change up a gear under these circumstances which blunts acceleration. Maybe thats the "lag" you are talking about but it certainly doesn't seem any different than the way my IS350 performs under the same conditions...
Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 PM
majin ssj eric

Mind you, my last G37 (and 08) was the 6MT so I have no prior experience with Nissan auto tranny's...
Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Warp37

I always had this impression with my G35x. It seemed quicker if I half throttled her instead of mashing her down. I thought I was probably imagining things.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 AM
tbear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not at all unusual; my Lexus RX350 is the same. There was a mod for my previous car (Audi A6 twin turbo) to make the transmission kick down switch operate with a higher pedal position. The car would drop to a lower gear with less than full throttle, giving better acceleration. Resetting the ECU and recalibrating the throttle full open position helped with that car too.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We are talking Auto Tranny here. The 6MT is different Animal... Drive one with the 7 AT, then you will see what others experience.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
CateyeRR

Originally Posted by Gazan37
Also, when tenths of a second matter, it pays to look at a dyno sheet for your specific car to know exactly where the peak horsepower is so that you can shift accordingly.
Shifting at redline will always give you better acceleration. You may not be at peak HP/torque but the mechanical advantage of being in a lower gear more than makes up for the loss of power.