G37 Sedan

My new G37 Journey

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM
mikeG1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new G37 Journey

I bought my first Infiniti on 6/11/10. I got a 2010 journey for $32k then added extended warranty and window tint for total $34.7k. This car was for my wife (replacing 2001 honda accord) but i've been driving it alot since she is intimidated by its luxury and power. I picked this car over lexus, bmw, mercedes and acura for its performance, luxury, and satisfaction rating. i knew up front mileage was poor so i'm not disappointed in that. My wife is a stay@home mom and i work 5 miles from home so its not an issue. I love my 2005 4Runner but this car is so awesome to drive. The only thing i dont like is not getting the 18" wheels! I just added the splash guards and now i'm looking for some 19" wheels. If anyone can recommend an online quality vendor i would appreciate it. i plan on shipping to costco and getting the tires from costco since they use nitrogen.
Attached Thumbnails My new G37 Journey-dsc02671.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to Myg37 forum.. Mine too was first infiniti after a long time driver of Accord. I am happy with my G and I think you and your wife will too.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nice G & welcome to the site. Mpg is pretty good for just shy of 330hp, especially when you need to dust one of those "economy" cars
Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
nice color enjoy it!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 AM
LiquidPlatg37S

nice g and welcome to the forums... I would think twice about shipping to Costco and purchasing tires their from what I recall they dont have tires with speed ratings comprable to what comes standard on the base wheels or on the sport package I would try Lou@amplified a vendor here see what he can do for you always making great deal or bestwheeldeals.com...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beautiful ride, congrats!!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
use2vw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I came from the Honda family too and have no regrets..good luck
Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new G37!

A few things to consider:

1. Larger wheels/tires mean better handling but bumpier ride and more road noise. I find the handling just fine with the 17" wheels/tires. To each their own.

2. Investigate putting a Clear Bra on to protect the front part of your car from paint chips.

3. On my 2010 G37, I replaced the factory fill oil at 500 miles with regular Pennzoil, then replaced the Pennzoil at 1500 miles with a synthetic blend. I'll replace that at 3000 miles and get on regular oil change intervals (OCI). The reason for all the oil changes up front is because our engines spew wear metals during break in. I'm also using Purolator PureOne oil filters. Overkill? Maybe. But I plan to keep my car 6-10 years.

4. Check out the "do it yourself" (DIY) section of this message board for tips on how to change your own engine air filters and cabin air filter. Save yourself a bundle at the dealership.

5. Lots of good audio upgrade posts on the Audio message board on these forums. Adding a subwoofer w/amp in the trunk is a popular option.

6. Lots of good detailing posts on the Detailing message board on these forums. Ask a Detailer is great post on that board. Even if you take your car to the car wash, you'll want to get something like PoorBoys LeatherStuff to clean and condition your leather every quarter or so.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeG1970
i'm looking for some 19" wheels. If anyone can recommend an online quality vendor i would appreciate it. i plan on shipping to costco and getting the tires from costco since they use nitrogen.
I bought my 20" wheels & tires from www.tirerack.com they're the best IMO for online tires & wheels. Just put your vehicle in the search and it'll give you wheels up to 20" w/ the factory offsets so fit won't be a problem, they also have much better tires than Costco and also have the top of the line tire balancers. I wouldn't spend the money for Nitrogen, from all I've read it's much more hype than the minimal benefit you get.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
mikeG1970

Wow!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful info. I already found great rims in the right price range on bestwheeldeals.com. the clear bra is also a great idea. i've noticed the paint on this car is not very scratch resistant.

Appreciate everything-thanks alot. i will post more pix after i get new shoes.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 PM
majin ssj eric

Originally Posted by CougarRed

3. On my 2010 G37, I replaced the factory fill oil at 500 miles with regular Pennzoil, then replaced the Pennzoil at 1500 miles with a synthetic blend. I'll replace that at 3000 miles and get on regular oil change intervals (OCI). The reason for all the oil changes up front is because our engines spew wear metals during break in. I'm also using Purolator PureOne oil filters. Overkill? Maybe. But I plan to keep my car 6-10 years.
Lol. I just changed my oil for the first time at 4100 miles and I didn't even get synthetic. I highly doubt this OCD attitude toward unnecessary oil changes will net you any reward, but if it makes you feel better....
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Lol. I just changed my oil for the first time at 4100 miles and I didn't even get synthetic. I highly doubt this OCD attitude toward unnecessary oil changes will net you any reward, but if it makes you feel better....
I acknowledged it may be overkill, but I explained my reasons. You decided to pile on anyway? Call me diseased?

Nice.

You and Terry Dyson had completely opposite reactions upon learning of my oil change history. You scoff. Terry said I did exactly the right thing. I'm guessing Terry knows more about the subject than you.

By the way, have you seen some of the Nissan Ester oil UOAs? It doesn't hold up 2500 miles, much less 4100. Just a terrible oil. They use it sometimes as factory fill. In your case, I'm hoping they did.

Last edited by CougarRed; 07-22-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 AM
majin ssj eric

Originally Posted by CougarRed
I acknowledged it may be overkill, but I explained my reasons. You decided to pile on anyway? Call me diseased?

Nice.

You and Terry Dyson had completely opposite reactions upon learning of my oil change history. You scoff. Terry said I did exactly the right thing. I'm guessing Terry knows more about the subject than you.

By the way, have you seen some of the Nissan Ester oil UOAs? It doesn't hold up 2500 miles, much less 4100. Just a terrible oil. They use it sometimes as factory fill. In your case, I'm hoping they did.
When did I call you diseased? You are free to spend as much money and time as you want on countless oil changes, internet "oil analysis" websites, whatever. Hell, you can change the oil everyday for all I care. Its not going to make any difference. Nissan has to warranty these cars so they are not going to recommend oil change intervals that will destroy them.

People like you get suckered in to thinking that if you don't change your oil 10 times a month the engine will explode and school children will die. Its just unnecessary is all. My car will have absolutely no problems whatsoever, regardless of how many dire predictions (and wishes) you make. My last one (08 G37S 6MT) had 40k after two years and ran like new.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
When did I call you diseased?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a mental disease.

The goal is not to change the oil 10 times a month. These rapid oil changes are the game plan only during the first 3K miles. For the reasons stated above.

After that it's Nissan recommended OCIs for me unless I find an oil through laboratory analysis that allows me to go longer safely between changes. Which is the point of laboratory analysis, i.e. FEWER oil changes while monitoring the health of your engine.

Then again, I plan on keeping my car ~8 years or more. If you are changing cars every 2 years like you apparently do, why should you care? Whatever damage you don't know about probably won't show up until the next guy is driving your car.

Last edited by CougarRed; 07-23-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: My new G37 Journey