G37 Sedan

Intelligent Key question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
jzee80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intelligent Key question

ok, here's my question...i run and swim in the ocean frequently and take my keys with me. now that i have gone from my '03.5 G35 to a new '10G37 Journey, i am not sure what to do with the smart key. i know i can't get it wet, so i was hoping to lock up the car with the mechanical key and take it with me and leave the rest of the fob in the car. but the problem is that if any one does get in the car they will be able to start it up and drive away! is there any solutions to this? is there any way to shield the fob so that it can't communicate with the car even if it is in the car (hidden)?

Another (dumb) question...how do you turn off the audio in the '10 G37 Journey with Bose (but no nav)?

Thanks...
Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no the person will not be able to start the car without the key inside the fob. The key needs to be inside the fob for the car to be turned on.
-to verify take the key out of the fob and leave it outside the car...get in the car with the fob and see if you can turn it on. (you should not be able to)

Just push the volume button "in" to turn off the radio.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 PM
jzee80

Sindhi,
thanks for the response. i'll try to actually start the car with the mechanical key disengaged from the rest of the fob... and i'll let everyone know the outcome.

on the audio question...well, duh! why couldn't i have thought of that????

thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 PM
jzee80

wait a minute...i've been thinking about this (haven't been able to get out to the car and try Sindhi's suggestion yet).

if you use the smart key/mechanical key as it is intended to, you would remove the mechanical key from the fob and keep it with you and hand the fob to the valet to park your car and return it to you. so... that means that simply separating the mechanical key from the fob will not disable the ignition capabilities of the fob...right???
Old 07-10-2010, 06:44 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I normally take the battery out of the fob, leave everything in the glovebox, then lock the car using the mechanical key.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 PM
jtla

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
no the person will not be able to start the car without the key inside the fob. The key needs to be inside the fob for the car to be turned on.
-to verify take the key out of the fob and leave it outside the car...get in the car with the fob and see if you can turn it on. (you should not be able to)
I don't think that's the case. When I go to car wash, I always take the key out and just leave fob inside the car. They start the car with no problem.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Let me jump in here. The owner’s manual suggests that for valet parking the owner should shut off trunk access via the switch in the glove compartment and that he/she should then lock the glove compartment via the mechanical key. Then with this key in the owner's possession and just leaving the fob for the valet, the valet can still start the car, but will have no access to the trunk or glove compartment.

And BTW, my car starts just fine with the mechanical key removed and placed elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
AAA will cut a "credit card" plastic key for you for free. It will not start the car, but, it will key-open the door. I carry that key with me. I leave the fob inside a tin breath mint box to kill the RFI (tin foil can work too) and hide the box inside the car. I do this when my car is in self parked for more than a few days also. No worry of lost or wet key.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI,I've accidentally washed my fob with the laundry a few times with no problems
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put it in a lead box, even kryptonite can't pass thru that.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yogregb
FYI,I've accidentally washed my fob with the laundry a few times with no problems

lol me too
Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
WHAT?!?! Excuse my reaction, but that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. First of all the mechanical key does NOT affect the operation of the FOB. Removing the mechanical key allows you to lock the non-FOB controlled glovebox (which as noted above has a trunk switch to disable FOB access). You keep the mechanical key and give the FOB to a valet so they can park and later retrieve your car. And the comment about leaving the mechanical key outside the car in your example.... if you think about it that makes even less sense.

To the OP, leaving the FOB in the car will result in it communicating with the car even with the doors locked - the systems will continue to see the RF signal of the key and could result in draining your FOB battery and possibly your car battery over time. My guess is you would need to get an RF shielded bag similar to the ones the electronic toll transponders come in, or possibly some other shielded type of material to wrap it in, then lock it in your car somewhere inconspicuous with you keeping the mechanical key with you.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 AM
jtla

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
My guess is you would need to get an RF shielded bag similar to the ones the electronic toll transponders come in, or possibly some other shielded type of material to wrap it in, then lock it in your car somewhere inconspicuous with you keeping the mechanical key with you.
Lock it in the glovebox!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:05 PM
jzee80

ok, SkyMG37x seems to have a reasonable solution with a RF shielded bag, but where would you get such a thing?

the idea of removing the battery would definitely work but i think that cracking open the fob 3-4 times a week would have long term consequences on its durability and function.

has anyone else found something that effectively shields the RF from the fob? i tried putting it in a candy tin box (and even tried putting the fob in an enameled cast iron dutch oven) and the fob still works.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If the tin has a tight seal, it will work. A piece of tin foil has worked for me also, but, it's even less worthy of our G's. +1 on a source for a shielded bag.

Quick Reply: Intelligent Key question