G37 Sedan

Haters at work in PA- Keyed my door

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you see any Gs in the parking lot during that time?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
hufington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xixonmn
Did you see any Gs in the parking lot during that time?
Where I was, there was no import cars whatsoever. All domestic trucks, SUVs, bikes (mostly Harleys), new Mustangs and Camaros. I believe the car was standing out. But hey, that's my car for the next 36 months, what can I do? Rent a car??
Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 AM
hufington

Originally Posted by 15951
Well, it sounds like at least one of the "hillbillies" knew the difference. I do understand the previous poster's point. The 37 denotes engine displacement, and things like this get an eye roll from anyone with a clue.
Love the eye rolls. They can roll their eyes until they pop out. I have no ambition to act like I have a 7.7 liter engine in an Infiniti. It is a personal thing like I said and to be honest, I don't care what anyone thinks about it. I don't think that the person, who scratched the car, has even seen the badge. It was an act of jealousy since the car was new, clean and shiny and different than all the other cars in the region. And at the time of the night, there was no one around.

Last edited by hufington; 07-11-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would guess that someone knew your car should have a G37 and not a G77 emblem. They were asking you why a 7 instead of a 3 in the emblem. A ****ty way to make a point.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 PM
jtla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it sounds like at least one of the "hillbillies" knew the difference. I do understand the previous poster's point. The 37 denotes engine displacement, and things like this get an eye roll from anyone with a clue.
+1 No offense, but G77 does look annoying. And to some low life it may be annoying enough for them to do stuff like keying your car. There is no reason to catch unnecessary attention.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I would say the chance of G owner vandalizing another G would be next to zero (w/ the exception of something far more personal). It's far more likely it's just some loser that knows he'll never own anything that nice, so why not just take his serious personal issues out on someone elses' ride.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 PM
deutsch

Originally Posted by jtla
+1 No offense, but G77 does look annoying. And to some low life it may be annoying enough for them to do stuff like keying your car. There is no reason to catch unnecessary attention.

I have no idea why you guys are so scared of individuality?? He is the owner of the car and he can put G77 or G7777777 if he wants to! Who says that he has to keep what the factory puts on the car? Why are you getting annoyed or call it rice? It is not 1% rice as de-badging (or black wheels or huge exhaust tips or 5% tint, etc.). So be a little more flexible to differences please.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM
deutsch

Originally Posted by movinon
I would guess that someone knew your car should have a G37 and not a G77 emblem. They were asking you why a 7 instead of a 3 in the emblem. A ****ty way to make a point.

According to that logic, they should be vandalizing all de-badged cars or cars with 370GT/Skyline emblems. And why would they do that on the door and not right next to the G77 that they allegedly find wrong? Makes no sense.No matter what is the motive, it is wrong to damage someone else's property.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movinon
I dunno. I'm not sure anyone who gets thrills out of keying cars would really care enough about a benign re-badging like that. More likely just some ****head in general or teenager. Unless he inadvertently changed it to something offensive, like g77 was some racist code, or just happened to be the name of a rival gang in the area or some bs like that.

Originally Posted by gugarci
That sucks and I feel your pain but unless you have a 7.7 litter engine I would take badge off.
Really? Wtf do you care what he puts on his car? The minute you start making his payments for him you can start telling him how he can decorate it.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deutsch
Where can you find that?
Came on the 2009 models, then they stopped using it. Probably because it doesn't really work. Unless your scratch meets about 100 conditions, namely, a small scratch that doesn't penetrate anything other than the clear coat, etc. Likely wouldn't have helped for that one.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
jtla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea why you guys are so scared of individuality?? He is the owner of the car and he can put G77 or G7777777 if he wants to! Who says that he has to keep what the factory puts on the car? Why are you getting annoyed or call it rice? It is not 1% rice as de-badging (or black wheels or huge exhaust tips or 5% tint, etc.). So be a little more flexible to differences please.
No doubt that we all feel the pain for the OP. What was suggested by some was that the G77 re-badging might have been the cause, while others did not think so. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm fine with individuality - mod a car all you want. But people putting ///M badges on non-M BMWs, people adding 4 liters of displacement to their G, and Porsche "turbo" badges on Civics are all signs of someone trying to project that they bought something better than they really have. Debadging, changing wheels and exhaust, and tint are all appearance items. In no case is the owner trying to "fool" anyone.

In this case, the OP is just fascinated with numerology, but most people wouldn't know the difference. Nobody deserves to have their car keyed, and I'm not defending it...but I can at least understand why it happens.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 PM
deutsch

I'm fine with individuality - mod a car all you want. But people putting ///M badges on non-M BMWs, people adding 4 liters of displacement to their G, and Porsche "turbo" badges on Civics are all signs of someone trying to project that they bought something better than they really have. Debadging, changing wheels and exhaust, and tint are all appearance items. In no case is the owner trying to "fool" anyone.

In this case, the OP is just fascinated with numerology, but most people wouldn't know the difference. Nobody deserves to have their car keyed, and I'm not defending it...but I can at least understand why it happens.

I don't think that anyone would think that putting 77 after G would "fool" others to think that you purchased a 7.7 liter Infiniti, especially when you don't have one in existence.

De-badging started with cars that are lesser versions of a brand so that they look as good as the better more loaded ones, like taking off the badges of a 328i BMW to look similar to a 335i, etc. But you cannot fool anyone, who knows that you should have two exhaust pipes on each side instead of a double exhaust on the left.

Having a G77 is not the same as putting M badge on another brand either. He clearly explained above why he puts 77 instead of 37 and it is a very legit reason. Even if you think that it is not appropriate, that's your idea and you are free to express it and he is as free as you are to put whatever he wants. It's his car and calling it rice etc. is not a nice way of expressing your taste. It is a different car and different taste. If everyone was the same, it would've been so boring.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
hufington

I just laugh at that.
First of all it is not modding the car when you change the badge. Second of all, I don't need to fool anyone as this is my third car that we only use over the weekends and the other two cars each cost more than 3 times that what the G costs, so there is no need to look like more than what I am. Besides, if I did not wanted and liked the G, I would not have bought it in the first place. Another issue is, people who say that G77 is inappropriate are probably telling that they love it when they see a Skyline badged G37 coupe or a 370GT badge. To each his own. You don't like it. then you don't do it. It is that simple.
My biggest issue though, that there are people who say that someone might have scratched my car because they did not like G77 instead of G37. So, does it mean that you have the right to damage someone's property? Amazing!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Stating that the 77 is ricey is pretty silly IMO. The OP isn't trying to represent a "bigger/pricier" ride, and anyone that's at all familiar w/ the G knows a 7.7l wouldn't quite fit in that engine bay, lol.
Ricey typically means representing something better and also usually looking cheezy in the process. Debadging isn't necessarily ricey, it can clean up & simplify the look (I'm not a fan, but I can see how it appeals to many), and in the case of a debadged G there's really nothing about the badges that one would be representing by removing them. Now putting on a red S to a regular G would definately be rice-a-roni however

I'd definately put to rest that the 77 caused your G to be vandalized, just write it off as another loser on his way to hell.

Quick Reply: Haters at work in PA- Keyed my door