G37 Sedan

2 weeks into new G37x

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ you are wron it has everythign to do with the inteligen AWWD it changes the speed at which 4wd disengages aas well and the % of slip for 4wd to engage.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 PM
DigMy35x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense to me but I don't see it documented anywhere.

I edited my post with the description from the manual (here it is again):

For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy
roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW
mode switch. The indicator light on the switch
will illuminate. When the SNOW mode is activated,
engine output is controlled to avoid
wheel spin.

I'm curious about the Snow and AWD as well. You would think they would explain that in detail - it's even a selling point if you ask me.

Thanks!

Jay
Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the "control wheel spin" is the key in that. I think it expains it better in the FX manual but i am not at home right now to check
Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
LINY_Rob

SNOW mode does two things: It engages the front differential from a stop to about 25 mph diverting torque to the front wheels, and reduces throttle input to avoid wheel spin and thus fishtailing. SNOW mode does not start the car in a different or higher gear. When SNOW mode is not activated, 100% of the torque is sent to the rear wheels unless slip is detected at which point up to 50% can be diverted to the front wheels based upon speed and traction (according to Nissan/Infiniti literature).

I spent two winters with my G35xS in NY snow - it worked great! I think the SNOW mode is a nice feature. Expect my 2010 G37xS to be great, too.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
PascalT

so you can just turn on the snow mode and leave it on until you get out of the car? My salesman told me it was to start the car up only. But I guess it makes sense to leave it on since when you stop the car you start back up with no momentum.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 AM
volnedan

I've never owned an AWD sedan, so I've always had to swap out winter wheels when the snow came. However, living in MI we get lots of nasty stuff, and its been especially worse the past 2 years b/c there is not enough money to get salt/plow trucks on the road as often.

But whenever I get a G37x loaner vehicle from the dealer during thr winter months, I've found it to be pretty good. Of course everyone who lives in Northern states understands to take it easy in the snow, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just no "hot doggin" as the old folks say :-)
Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Zinc

New G37X owner here, too

If this works anything like my FX did in the snow, it won't be bad. The only thing that really held my FX back in the snow was the 20" wheel/tire combo.

Originally Posted by Rizzo
Picked up a Smoky Quartz G37x sedan with NAV and all that.. no sport package. This thing is an animal with great luxury features. Leasing so no mods for me, even though very tempted, but wife has an eye on me! Have noticed the 7 speed AT does like to shift up pretty quickly but I've been driving mostly in DS or manual mode so not a big issue (lots of winding roads around here). No rattles, squeaks or unwanted noises. Also, no complaints or disappointments as of yet either. Don't know how much input I'll have to the forum but really enjoy seeing the work some of you put into your cars.

One question.. how has the x-drive system performed in the snow for those living in northern states? I'm used to all wheel drive.. should be interesting to see how this system works when winter rolls around.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
voledan: Agreed wholeheartedly. My 07 G35X was excellent in the snow, better than our 07 CRV with AWD, much better. I'm sure you will find it to be very good too.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
DigMy35x

Well - thanks for the explanations guys! It would be nice if the manuals stated how the 'snow' mode works better than it does.

I wonder if the system is identical to the FX system like someone mentioned above.

Can anyone cite where we could find this information? I would really like to see something from Infiniti that explains how our system works for the G specifically.

I'm not doubting anyone - as I said - I 'm no gear head. I just know that the G manual is pretty lacking in the description.

Thanks again everyone!

Jay