G37 Sedan

AC Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
BuzzLY37

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
AC Opinions

Hello all

I've tried to searched on my question but doesn't seem to get the complete answer. So hopefully you guys can answer them.

Do you guys keep your AC on all the time? Since you can adjust the temperature to either colder or hotter, I'm not sure whether I should just leave it on and adjust the temperature. I've had a non automated climate control car before and I've always had to keep turning the AC on and off as I drive and get out of the car. (My AC unit died after about 2 years so I've developed that habit.)

Sorry if my question is a bit silly. Any opinions appreciated.

ThanksDOMO
Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I keep mine on all the time and just change the temp slightly depending on the wx
Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I only turn mine on when it's 90+.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM
BuzzLY37

Thanks for your opinions!

Do you guys know if the AC tend to have a shorter lifespan if you leave it on all the time?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 PM
evilpanda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only use my a/c when needed. if its not that hot i'll leave it off or just tilt the sunroof for some air.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The AC light does not necessarily mean that the AC system is ON, i.e. it's also on in the winter. The AUTO Climate systems such as in this car use the various sensors to determine when to engage the compressor, and in some cases use a multi-stage system.

Bottom line, there's no reason not to just leave the system in AUTO and let the AC run accordingly. In fact if you check your owner's manual there's a comment about turning off the AC when the temp setting is lower than outside temp:
Do not set the temperature lower than the
outside air temperature. Otherwise the
system may not work properly.
I just leave it in AUTO.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
BuzzLY37

Okay, that definitely clears up alot. Thanks SkyMG37x!

I guess I'll just leave the AC on from now on and adjust the temperature.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:19 PM
ged1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left in on my last car; doin the same with the G.

GED
Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A/C button & light basically means it's dehumidifying. You'll notice it comes on in the winter also when it should be heating, which seems wrong but it's fine. You can turn it off if you want (when heating), but it doesn't really matter temperature-wise. Always want it on when defogging or cooling.

Basically, the manual says the A/C is used for "Cooling or dehumidified heating."

I think if the external temp is below something (like 30 degrees or whatever) it does not come on automatically.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AC removes heat and humidity so if it is ON, the compressor will be on. That is why whenever you turn to defog, the AC comes on automatically. The manual tells you to not set the temperature lower than the outside temperature if the AC is off because without the compressor, the system cannot adequately cool down the interior to a temperature lower than that of the outside air. In other words, turn the AC on if you want to cool down or to dehumidify. However, it uses more gas to leave the AC on because it puts a tiny bit more load on the engine via the drive belts.

In my 2003 Maxima and my 2006 G35, there is an ECO button, which I no longer see on my 2010. What it does is it cycles the compressor on and off depending on the need to cool down the interior or not in order to reduce fuel consumption. I also notice that the AUTO RECIRC mode on the 2010 only operates when the AC is on, which I don't understand why because I do want the system to shut out outside pollutants/odours whenever these are detected but I may not necessarily want the AC. I swear I won't suffocate just because there is no fresh air coming in without having the compressor being turned on. LOL
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
BuzzLY37

So would the compressor last less longer if I leave it on all the time? That's what happened in my old toyota. I just left the AC on all the time and eventually I had to have the compressor replaced. Big pain in the butt.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by 2010G37
So would the compressor last less longer if I leave it on all the time? That's what happened in my old toyota. I just left the AC on all the time and eventually I had to have the compressor replaced. Big pain in the butt.
I had my Maxima's AC on for over 10 years, it just kept going, never need compressor replacement.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:52 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by indycase
The AC removes heat and humidity so if it is ON, the compressor will be on.
That's not correct on AUTO systems. The ON light means the AC is enabled, but the HVAC head unit (computer) decides when to turn on the the compressor. In the winter the light is always on even though the compressor will not come on when the temperature is below 23F. This is how most auto HVAC systems work.

From Service Manual:

AUTO Switch

• The compressor, intake doors, air mix doors, mode doors and blower speed are automatically controlled so that the in-vehicle temperature will reach, and be maintained at the set temperature selected by the operator.
• When pressing AUTO switch, air inlet, air outlet, fan speed, and discharge air temperature are automatically controlled.

Also:

Unified meter and A/C amp. controls compressor operation by ambient temperature, intake air temperature and signal from ECM.

SYSTEM OPERATION

When A/C switch, AUTO switch, DEF switch or D/F switch is pressed, unified meter and A/C amp. transmits compressor ON signal to ECM, via CAN communication.
ECM judges whether compressor can be turned ON, based on each sensor status (refrigerant-pressure sensor signal, throttle angle, etc.). If it judges compressor can be turned ON, it sends compressor ON signal to IPDM E/R, via CAN communication.
Upon receipt of compressor ON signal from ECM, IPDM E/R turns air conditioner relay ON to operate compressor. When sending compressor ON signal to IPDM E/R via CAN communication line, ECM simultaneously sends compressor feedback signal to ECM via CAN communication line. ECM sends compressor feedback signal to unified meter and A/C amp., then, uses input compressor feedback signal to control air inlet.

Compressor Protection Control

When the high-pressure side detected by the refrigerant pressure sensor is either approximately 3,119 kPa (31.8 kg/cm
2, 452 psi) or more, or approximately 118 kPa (1.2 kg/cm2, 17 psi) or less, ECM turns the A/C relay OFF and stops the compressor.

Low Temperature Protection Control

Unified meter and A/C amp. turns compressor ON or OFF as judged by a signal detected by ambient sensor and intake sensor.

When ambient temperature is higher than

2°C (28°F), the compressor turns ON. The compressor turns OFF when ambient temperature is lower than 5°C (23°F).

When intake air temperature is higher than 1°C (34°F), the compressor turns ON. The compressor turns OFF when intake air temperature is lower than 5°C (23°F).
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
BuzzLY37

So since I don't live in an area that is usually below the freezing point, my compressor will always be on? Especially now it's summer.

Can you further confirm what's mentioned earlier that compressor being on majority of the time is not going to decrease the lifetime of the component?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just a side comment: I test drove a 2010 4Runner today, and the new RX350. Both systems didn't give off a very cold AC. I was mildly disappointed, but hey...neither of them will be my car...sooooo...haha

I thought our "cold running" AC system was the norm, but as it turns out...it isn't it's very true that our systems run very cold. It's a good thing...! I wonder if they run extra hot up top? I want to say no (used it once in the time of ownership so far...)

Quick Reply: AC Opinions