Someone hit my parked car in Vancouver :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 AM
cmori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone hit my parked car in Vancouver :(

Hello Everyone,

It's a sad, sad day for me.
I borrowed my G37 to my dad. Him and my mom went from Seattle to Vancouver to spend a few days there, and while parked somewhere near Stanley Park, someone hit the car while parked.

Of course, no notes were left behind
What do you guys think that the repair will cost? On top of it, I have a Venturi Shield...
And she was only 4 months old... What a sad day.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 AM
KennethG37S

i'd say approx $1000 USD.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, you're going to get stuck paying the insurance deductible -- but it shouldn't affect your rates at all so I wouldn't shy away from making the claim unless the damage is less than your deductible.

I've been a hit & run victim a while back with my old car and had a $1000 deductible at the time. Whole back bumper, taillight and quarter-panel were smashed while parked on a street. I was a college student at the time and barely had the money for it too. Car was only a few months old at at the time -- I know the feeling. That car was a cheap Hyundai, but still it was new and mine.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ah that sucks, probably going to be around a grand. Vancouvers a beautiful place tho!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks I feel your pain. I hate it when that happens. I'd say about a $1,000 of body work. If anything else is damaged inside (headlight, fog light, etc) then it will be more.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
cmori

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
I hope the damage is "only" $1000... This actually calmed me down a bit, I thought it could go way more.
I can't wait to have her back to pristine conditions.

Will surely post some pics when I see the car (I've only seen the photo), and when I get her fixed.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
I hate to say it, but if you lent your G37 to your Dad for this trip, I'd check to see if his car insurance would pay for the repair. He was the operator, and his comprehensive insurance might be cheaper to use. Don't be too surprised if the damage comes to more than $1K. There could very well be hidden damage from such a hit.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkmura
I hate to say it, but if you lent your G37 to your Dad for this trip, I'd check to see if his car insurance would pay for the repair. He was the operator, and his comprehensive insurance might be cheaper to use. Don't be too surprised if the damage comes to more than $1K. There could very well be hidden damage from such a hit.

I agree with dkmura, abuse the system! Try to go with whoever has the lower deductible. It might very well be over $1000. All depends on which repair shop you take it to.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:16 AM
DigMy35x

Yikes! I feel your pain. My wife's <1 year old Lexus RX got hit at a shopping parking lot. Looks very similar in terms of the damage.

I just got the quote this weekend. We needed: front bumper, front L fender, housing around and bracket for fog light. The total was about $2100 (half of what I was expecting!) and it looks like you don't need 1/2 of those things.

One thing the body shop mentioned was that, in order for most insurance companies to replace the front bumper you need to have a broken clip. Otherwise they try to do a repair. Looks like you would be eligible for the front bumper from the picture.

You know, there is another thread on here where someone who works in a body shop had his car hit on the street. He did a lot of replacement and listed the prices for most of the items. If you do a search you might find some numbers to help.

Sucks but remember, it's just a car. They'll get it fixed up and you won't even notice.

Good luck and let us know how it works out and what the repair costs end up being. I'm sure yours won't be the last one that this happens to unfortunately.

Jay
Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 AM
cmori

Hey guys,
I finally saw the car. It's basically what's in the photo...

About using my Dad's insurance, the issue is that he does not live in US, my parents were just visiting me. His credit card insures him for rental cars, but my car was not rented to him, so it does not apply.
His insurance does not cover accidents outside the country of origin, so no luck there either.

I will try to get a quote and see what I do. It it stays around $1000 it seems it's better for me to do myself without involving the insurance. If it goes beyond that, then I'll talk to my insurance agent.

DigMy35x, those are some great info there, thanks for that reply!

And yes, at the end of the day it's a car. But I really like her
Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
lilthaosita

Sorry to hear about your car. I just experienced something very similar except mine was minor compared to yours and luckily I was able to find the person who hit my vehicle so they could pay for the damages.

From my experience, the damage on my car was around $1,200 and that included a windshield fluid reservoir replacement. My advice to you is to do a lot of research and get several quotes from body shops. Also, when you narrow down a couple of repair shops, check Yelp reviews to see what their customers have to say and who knows, they might have incentives when you mention that you found them on Yelp.

Here's what a $1,000+ damage looks like. You can clearly see the scratches, but what you can't really see is a huge warped area on my bumper. Please keep us updated and good luck with your search.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
PascalT

goddamn idiots who don't leave a note or something to contact them. they should burn in hell imo.

gl with the repairs
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
BillPaul

An incident like this is obviously very disappointing, especially when a car is fairly new.

I try to look at it this way:
Consider your car to be similar to a house that you maintain. Repairs, new paint, etc., are expected in order to keep it looking good. No car continues to look good year after year without some work (and expense). My 2001 Honda Accord looks nearly new by following this approach (should add: no ice cream, etc. allowed inside the car).
Old 07-07-2010, 03:59 AM
cmori

PascalT: Those are the thought I'm trying not to have

BillPaul: My car was flawless until this. I actually wash my car every two weeks, don't let anyone get inside with food (My GF complains that I don't let her drink her Stackbucks overpriced lattes, etc.).
Now my dad drove the car with the windows down (== a lot of dust all around) and eat crackers, etc. Not to mention the damage.
He said he is paying all the damages, but I don't feel like charging him for this.

Well, I guess I have an excuse to spend some time cleaning my car again. Hopefully I can get her back to original conditions without spending too much money.

My folks are leaving tomorrow morning, and I'm taking the G to a shop to have an idea of how much it will cost me. I will post on this when I get some estimated.

Next time my folks visit me, I'm getting them a rental. With insurance. I will pay gladly
Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 AM
cmori

First quote for the fix was $1900.
I'm quoting on some other places to see if the prices changes much...

I guess that's about what I was expecting...

Quick Reply: Someone hit my parked car in Vancouver :(