G37 Sedan

The Car is Hot - Literally

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Car is Hot - Literally

I noticed that after driving the car, even at short intervals, not revving it up too much, not going too fast or braking too hard, there's is a great deal of heat is coming from below .

It's concentrated mostly in the wheel well and undercarage. Feels like 200 degrees. None of my previous cars have had this issue. Only the tires would become a little hot after highway speeds, but no where close to this. Every time I wear shorts and step out of the car, it feels like my ankles are going to melt.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Noticed a little bit the other day, but it was pretty hot out to begin with. Are you noticing this more in the summer than in the winter?

Is the radiator fan still running for a minute or two after you shut the car off?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I noticed that after driving the car, even at short intervals, not revving it up too much, not going too fast or braking too hard, there's is a great deal of heat is coming from below .

It's concentrated mostly in the wheel well and undercarage. Feels like 200 degrees. None of my previous cars have had this issue. Only the tires would become a little hot after highway speeds, but no where close to this. Every time I wear shorts and step out of the car, it feels like my ankles are going to melt.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
The more HP, the more heat...period.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
LightsOut

after driving my G kinda hard or long distance, I could smell the heat from the engine and brakes after parking.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
indycase

I'm sure all the underside covers don't help with dissipating all the trapped heat.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Noticed a little bit the other day, but it was pretty hot out to begin with. Are you noticing this more in the summer than in the winter?

Is the radiator fan still running for a minute or two after you shut the car off?
I noticed it more in the winter because it was 40 degrees, and this thing would melt the snow. But I thought maybe cause the car is new, needs to be broken in.... I don't know what I thought.
The radiator shuts off when the car shuts off.

Originally Posted by only4mal
The more HP, the more heat...period.
I don't know if it's that simple. My previous car was an I35 with 255HP. Is a 29% gain in HP equivalent to 300% gain in heat?

Originally Posted by LightsOut
after driving my G kinda hard or long distance, I could smell the heat from the engine and brakes after parking.
I can drive it for a few miles in the city very gently, and wouldn't smell anything but have intense heat.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The G definitely runs hot...I don't know that I would say it is absurdly hot (or at least I haven't noticed if it is)

I mean it's nothing that would catch my attention or make me worry...have you checked the radiator and cooling system?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't know if it's that simple. My previous car was an I35 with 255HP. Is a 29% gain in HP equivalent to 300% gain in heat?
No problems here. Btw, FWIW, the I was measured using the old ratings. If it were adjusted for the new ratings, with which the G is measured on, that 255 will likely be in the 220-230 range. Which, in itself, is arguable since the I35 and 5.5 gen Maxima's engine output was overrated by Nissan, as shown by numerous stock dyno's including that of my own. It was, however, putting out much more torque than advertised and was in-line with the advertised hp/tq #'s for the Pathfinder.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
It's just a hot motor... you should go over to the370.com. They are all pretty paranoid about oil temps... granted, more of them track their Zs than we do our Gs, so it's somewhat understandable... normal driving though, you're fine. No worries.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by indycase
I'm sure all the underside covers don't help with dissipating all the trapped heat.
Covers?

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
The G definitely runs hot...I don't know that I would say it is absurdly hot (or at least I haven't noticed if it is)

I mean it's nothing that would catch my attention or make me worry...have you checked the radiator and cooling system?
Try putting your hand down there when parked or while idling, maybe it's just mine, I don't know.
I checked it. Radiator seems to work fine, and all the fluids are full. I'm not sure what the problem is or if there is a problem, because many of this car's quirks and issues would normally make me go to the shop everyday with questions, but as it turns out those issues are perfectly normal for this car. Maybe this one is too.

Originally Posted by soundmike
If it were adjusted for the new ratings, with which the G is measured on, that 255 will likely be in the 220-230 range.
Even so, way hotter than it should be in my opinion. I mean it's not like I'm running a steam engine.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the hottest part directly underneath the car would be the cat. I could be wrong. Other than that, maybe diff and transfer case from underneath the car. If it's as bad as you say it is, you might want to try to isolate where it's coming from or simply get it checked. I certainly haven't experienced anything close to what you're saying.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
I think the hottest part directly underneath the car would be the cat. I could be wrong. Other than that, maybe diff and transfer case from underneath the car. If it's as bad as you say it is, you might want to try to isolate where it's coming from or simply get it checked. I certainly haven't experienced anything close to what you're saying.
I will probably get that checked on my next service, even though knowing the folks at Infiniti, they'd probably tell me that there's nothing wrong. That's almost all they seem to tell me and others when we go there with issues. Hopefully the car won't catch fire or anything until then.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Only4theGnme

With all due respect chief...

I believe it is that simple...I had a '79 Chevy Caprice Classic with a 305 V8 engine...The heat that came up through the floor of that car was ridiculous.

My Wife has a 2008 Impala SS, 305 HP...also produces a great amount of heat. Trust me, the more powerful the engine, the more heat it will produce. And an I35?? C'mon sun, 255 HP??...That doesn't compare to 330 HP...we are talking a difference of almost 80 HP....thats a huge difference!

And I'm no "Math-ologist" but wouldn't that be an almost 80% gain not 29%??
Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Only4theGnme

I noticed it more in the winter because it was 40 degrees, and this thing would melt the snow. But I thought maybe cause the car is new, needs to be broken in.... I don't know what I thought.
The radiator shuts off when the car shuts off.

I can drive it for a few miles in the city very gently, and wouldn't smell anything but have intense heat.
Covers?

Try putting your hand down there when parked or while idling, maybe it's just mine, I don't know.
I checked it. Radiator seems to work fine, and all the fluids are full. I'm not sure what the problem is or if there is a problem, because many of this car's quirks and issues would normally make me go to the shop everyday with questions, but as it turns out those issues are perfectly normal for this car. Maybe this one is too.

Even so, way hotter than it should be in my opinion. I mean it's not like I'm running a steam engine.
Put your mind at ease...I'm telling you...the more powerfull the car, the more heat it will produce...

I have a buddy who modded his 89 Mustang 5.0, It has a crazy amount of HP, something like 500 / 600, maybe more...you can hear it 2 blocks away...Now, the heat that car produces puts the worries in this stream to shame.

It's nothing to worry about, trust me.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by only4mal
And I'm no "Math-ologist" but wouldn't that be an almost 80% gain not 29%??
I guess you meant the heat curve is not linear.

Quick Reply: The Car is Hot - Literally