G37 Sedan

Frustrated Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:00 AM
kukubai1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrated Owner.

I would like to share a few issues that I have had with my 2010 G7X. I purchased my car at the end of March and have had multiple issues with the vehicle.

As discussed in other threads, the transmission in the car is definitely not as smooth as it was in my 2007 G35X. It seems to me that it lags a bit in the low gears and is a bit sluggish. In addition, when I apply the brakes, especially going down hill, the car seems to rev from 2K to 4K while it is down shifting. My dealer is insisting that there is no transmission problem and the downshifting is normal.

The second issue that I have had is with my GPS. About a month into my purchase, my GPS unit did not seem to work. It was not registering my location. After weeks of calling the dealership to check for the status of the part, it finally arrived on Friday. When they went to install it, they told me that not only does the new GPS not work but the radio is not working as well.

I am so frustrated with a.) the lack of customer support from the dealership and b.) with the quality of the product. I did not expect this from an Infiniti product.

I just wanted to share my thoughts to see if any other owners have had any similar issues.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:08 AM
KennethG37S

when u apply the brakes while going down hills, it's normal that car rev rpm. that's because of engine brake. every G in this forum do that too. If u shift full gear and going down hill, there won't be any rev. Try it.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 AM
CGAR

Sounds like you really only have one problem (GPS) since the shifting is normal. Remember these cars are built by people and are not perfect. It doesnt matter what luxury brand you own you will NEVER have a perfect car. Cut Infiniti and the dealer some slack and let them try and fix it.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience so far. I can understand that you'd want everything with an expensive (relative term) new car to be perfect.

The transmission is behaving normally. I had to slam on my brakes when the car was a few weeks old, and was very alarmed that the RPMs shot up to 4k and it downshifted. This is also normal behavior. The G's transmission is programmed towards the sporting side, but at the same time it is programmed to get to 7th as quickly as possible for fuel economy. It's a very schitzophrenic transmission IMO, but I haven't really had issues with it.

The nav concern will be addressed. If it isn't, definitely try a new dealer. There's no reason that they shouldn't be able to correctly repair this the first time. I'm guessing the dealer assumed your nav antenna needed replacement, and it might be the unit itself that's glitchy. Rest assured that most of us are having no issues whatsoever with the nav or the audio system, and a replacement should get things back how they should be.

Good luck, and take a deep breath and enjoy the car.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:06 PM
BillPaul

This cars are extremely complicated with multiple systems that can potentially malfunction (GPS, hard drives, rear view cameras, programmed automatic transmissions, electronically adjusted seat bolsters, and on and on ...).

So, we have to expect that something will occasionally malfunction. This will happen no matter how careful the manufacturer is with design & engineering. The alternative would be to go back to the simpler cars that we had years ago. Doubt anyone who buys a G37 would be satisfied with that.

The real issue is: how well does the dealer handle problems when they occur?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kukubai1
As discussed in other threads, the transmission in the car is definitely not as smooth as it was in my 2007 G35X. It seems to me that it lags a bit in the low gears and is a bit sluggish. In addition, when I apply the brakes, especially going down hill, the car seems to rev from 2K to 4K while it is down shifting. My dealer is insisting that there is no transmission problem and the downshifting is normal.
It seems some vehicles are more sensitive to the downshifting behaviour of the tranny. In mine, I have to toe in alot to keep momentum in stop and go traffic else the tranny will drag and engine brake the vehicle to almost a complete stop. Unless there's a patch you'll just have to hope it smooths out over time.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 15951
Sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience so far. I can understand that you'd want everything with an expensive (relative term) new car to be perfect.
I've always wondered what goes on inside people's head when there is something wrong with their Jaguar XJs or Ferraris. I don't have that kind of money (yet :P) so I'm just wondering if they ever get annoyed because they paid so much money for these cars ... or reliability is no longer an issue when you're at that price range.

It's actually really interesting to know that a lot of people who buy ultra-luxury cars have no idea how to work 95% of the gadgets in them. LOL
Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indycase
I've always wondered what goes on inside people's head when there is something wrong with their Jaguar XJs or Ferraris. I don't have that kind of money (yet :P) so I'm just wondering if they ever get annoyed because they paid so much money for these cars ... or reliability is no longer an issue when you're at that price range.

It's actually really interesting to know that a lot of people who buy ultra-luxury cars have no idea how to work 95% of the gadgets in them. LOL
A few people I work with have high end cars and they see these issues as "character".
Old 06-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by kukubai1
In addition, when I apply the brakes, especially going down hill, the car seems to rev from 2K to 4K while it is down shifting. My dealer is insisting that there is no transmission problem and the downshifting is normal.
Are you saying it does this all the time under normal braking?

If you apply the brakes very quickly and/or firmly, the transmission assumes you are in a panic stop and downshifts more aggressively for you. This should NEVER happen in normal driving. However, I have driven with people (in other cars) that clearly don't know how to anticipate traffic conditions and are constantly "slamming" (by my standards) on the brakes. The G would likely interpret that as panic braking. Please clarify what is happening in your case so we can tell you if your dealer is not giving you proper service.

Last edited by Marc Collins; 06-21-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 PM
g37musings

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Are you saying it does this all the time under normal braking?

If you apply the brakes very quickly and/or firmly, the transmission assumes you are in a panic stop and downshifts more aggressively for you. This should NEVER happen in normal driving. However, I have driven with people (in other cars) that clearly don't know how to anticipate traffic conditions are constantly "slamming" (by my standards) on the brakes. The G would likely interpret that as panic braking. Please clarify what is happening in your case so we can tell you if your dealer is not giving you proper service.
I disagree, mine does it comeing down a moderate hill and braking normally as I turn into my neighborhood and I am not "slamming" the brakes.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
LightsOut

its called rev-matching. its normal and awesome oem mod.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by g37musings
I disagree, mine does it comeing down a moderate hill and braking normally as I turn into my neighborhood and I am not "slamming" the brakes.
Up to 4000 rpm???? He's not referring to "normal" downshifting.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
do you have the car in regular D (drive mode) or in the manual select sport mode?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
where are you located
Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM
kukubai1

Thanks for all the input regarding the down shifting.

As far as the GPS goes, I agree with all of you that these are technologically advanced vehicles and stuff breaks regardless of 2 months as in my case or two years. I am more disappointed with the level of customer support that I received from my dealer. For the first few weeks, not once did they call me to give me an update. I only started getting some response when I sent a e-mail to the Sales Manager. I had to make all the calls.

Quick Reply: Frustrated Owner.