G37 Sedan

Splash Guards - need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 AM
DigMy35x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splash Guards - need some advice

Hello all.

First of all, long time lurker here. You guys rock! Thanks for all of the info, etc. I hope to give back in kind!

I've had an M35x and a G35x for the past few years and now my lease is up on my G and I've got a G37xS waiting to come in from port by the end of the month.

Got, what I believe to be, a smoking deal and had a great experience with the dealer (again!).

So here is my concern - the car I am getting is pretty well equipped with the Tech package included so they are fairly hard to come by.

The original plan was to get a car that was scheduled to arrive at another dealer with all of the items I wanted. I got a call yesterday that the car was 'sold' before they could secure it (which I know is BS but I don't blame them because . . . ) they were able to do a pre-delivery port trade with another dealer for the almost identical vehicle.

I don't mind if they can make a little more money by avoiding the delivery fee and, frankly, I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of someone driving the car over 100 miles to deliver it anyway.

So I'm not at all upset about that (as long as they let me trade my car before my next lease payment and give me a loaner).

The only thing missing from this car vs. the original are the splash guards. I have them on my current G and I THINK I want them on the new one but I'm not sure.

Either I'll pay that much less for the car since I don't want them making $100+ more on the deal (that's MY money ) and have them adjust my lease payment by the commensurate amount or I'll have them put them on from their parts department.

I'm looking for thoughts and advice on whether I should get them added or not(and pics of 2010 xS with/without the splash guards).

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Old 06-11-2010, 08:06 AM
mindonmatter

You should definitely get them. They add a lot to the car in the looks department, and are somewhat functional. I got mine for less than $100 and installed them myself in a couple hours.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
When I got my G37, at first, one of the things I decided not to get was the splash guards.
When I checked out the cars at the dealership, I decided, at least for my taste, that the splash guards actually added to the looks of the car, so I made sure I got them.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny how they are standard on the Sentra SE-R but not the G37xS .. anyway, didn't get them. They don't really protect much since the side sills and bumpers are also all plastic. As for looks, to each its own. I do find them breaking up the flow of the lower sills especially when you have the S package. Get them if they are cheap but I wouldn't pay more than $100 for them. I'd rather use the money to put Ventureshield on say the mirror caps or the headlights for the money.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I'd just tell your dealer... you won't sign for the car unless they put them on for you... no charge.

The best (and only, IMO) time to work deals on accessories/add-ons is before you ever sign your life away.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
carz

they used to be installed as standard, not anymore. MSRP on them are $170 (maybe less) but invoice is actually really cheap. you can convince them to install them for free (if they have any laying around) or sell them to you at invoice.....tell them to make it as a nice gift haha

Same goes for the trunk mat and first aid kit. for 2010 they start charging for those...but most of the time dealers will throw it in free if they have any laying around.

as far as extending your lease..........you get a 10 day grace period from the day that the bill/car is due. I dont know what they can do after 10 days, but you should ask your dealer. Loaner is possible
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I had a similar situation happen. In the end I made sure the dealer agreed to order and install the splash guards free of charge (cause I already paid for it with the agreed upon pricing, but it wasn't on the car they drove in). They came through after a little pestering to ensure they ordered and got me on the schedule for an install.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They're port or dealer installed, and the dealer knows this. They're trying to see if they can squeeze a few extra dimes out of you.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:42 PM
G37NC

The G I bought 2 weeks had everything I wanted except splash guards and lighted kickplates. I bought the car on a Saturday and the dealer ordered these 2 things for me and I had it 4 days later.

By all means get the splash guards. It adds a sporty look to the profile not to mention the functionality. And spring for the lighted kickplates if you don't have them.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:08 AM
DigMy35x

Wow - thanks for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated.

I have not doubt I can get the splash guards installed for the price I paid. I can just have them keep the same margin and add them at the dealership. I would be amazed if they wouldn't do that.

I just wanted to make sure there was a resounding reason to get them put on. I thought that they might detract from the Sport profile and that might be why they weren't on that car when it was on the line.

Thanks again for the thoughts! I'll look for a few pics to see what the difference looks like to make sure I want to push to get them on there and then talk with the dealer.

Jay
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
DigMy35x

Update for those of you that took the time to reply (I always try to share the results if you guys take the time to post on my threads - thanks!!).

I called the sales manager and when we discussed the splash guards I couldn't get anything further out of my mouth other than 'I understand the vehicle you were able to get doesn't have the splash guards' and he interrupted me and said: 'Do you want them?'

I said yes and he said 'so we'll make sure they get on there for you'. That was it. No argument, no stress, etc.

I offered to take a loaner car if they can't get the car in before my lease payment is due and he appreciated that - meets both of our goals so I don't care if I drive a loaner for a few days voluntarily (if it was due to service work I might feel differently ).

So that's the update. Hoping to get more details on delivery dates, etc. today.

Thanks again everyone!

Jay