G37 Sedan

Any Former Acura Owners Here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
raggieone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL 6-spd owner prior to the current 2010 G37 Journey, both with Nav. I put 140K+ miles in 6 years of ownership. The car was very enjoyable. Installed K&N Typhoon intake on it and with the 6MT I had no issues coaxing a fun response from the tranny. The power steering pump was the one thing that had recurring challenges.

So now have had my G37 for two months and two weeks, so here are my comparison thoughts:
- G37 gives me 70hp more and the same fuel economy, nice!
- I've been called a stereo snob (coming from a dad that thought my $1k+ home stereo sounded the same as the Delco FM radio in his Chevy Caprice). The G37 stereo sounds way better than the TL's ELS to me.
- Exterior looks, each has their own approach that I describe as the TL's being focused and the G37's as bubbly. Functionally I have the impression that even with the more aerodynamic look of the G37 it suffers more from cross-winds on the freeway than the TL did. I guess it could be suspension.
- Interior, both cabins are tastefully executed. The '04 TL's feels much roomier and the trunk bigger than the G37. Now, having driven loaner '09 and '10 TL's during service, I would say the difference between G37 and the TL is not as great, even with the TL's greater exterior dimensions.

I find the AC system of the TL worked much more consistently than the G37. I am finding the G37's system lets the temperature have a wide range such that I go from freezing to sweating between accelerating from a light to the next stop.

Other than that, the G37 is providing a more fun road experience and the updated tech works better for me being 6 years newer.

Onwards and Upwards . . .

RAG
Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

I'm coming from an '03 tl. Loved that car and I do like the 3G (04-08) tl's a lot better than the g in terms of looks. Power wise though it's unquestionable that the g pulls ahead. It's jut the combination on the accent line that flows with the side markers and the taillights that make that cool look great for me.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 PM
roughx021

I'm coming from a 05 TL to an 08 G37 coupe and the transition is very welcoming. The only thing I think I miss is the space in the back seat and 4 doors. I went through some phases modding the car and sometimes miss it because I feel like I'm starting over. However, with 6mt, rwd, 330hp, and beautiful body lines, and the exhaust note I am extremely pleased. Likewise, the navigation in the G37 is superior. The Acura used to give me adresses to places thousand of miles away in different states. Great car nonetheless. Had Acura done a better job with the 4th gen TL or came out with a CL coupe again, maybe I would have stayed.

From this:

To this:

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just a few ones to put on the books

...and for sh*$s and giggles...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:51 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Forget the delaer scams, acura is crap.
Sorry to tell you i have problems all the way to corporate.
I know many people who have had just about every acura made.
a tl/rl/cl/tl-s type/Mdx. you name it, i know someone who had one & says the same thing. And its not just the RDX I own, the dealer's service bay are COVERED with RDX's & don't hardly even see any on the street.
Have bought a alot of brands that don't live up to their name, So I know when something is just made poorly , vs a problematic vehicle.
And tl's are made in canada.
Why woud you want a japanese car made in Canada.
Nothing against Canada, just your not exactly on the forefront of manufacturing cars.
Acura has slipped in the quality section.
Acuras are very popular in my family. We've had many of them over the years. CL, TL, MDX, and even a couple of Integras have made the list. The newest one is a 2009 MDX. And they've all been super reliable.

You sound like someone with an axe to grind because you're having problems with your RDX.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Acura because they are reliable vehicles. I'm not too thrilled with the way they have been going in the styling department.....the new TL isn't good looking at all compared to the prior generation.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
aliang01

Originally Posted by consultant1027
Wondering if anyone here came from an 04-08 Acura TL to a 07-09 G35/37 and what their impressions are in the differences between the two cars?
I owned a 07 TL Type-S Kinetic Blue 5AT before switching to a 09 G37xS 7AT. The Acura was okay for what it was worth but the torque steer was horrid (FWD sucks!) and fit/finish just wasn't up to par. Infiniti's interior is far better laid out and plush. Also the ride/handling is far more direct. AWD/RWD trumps FWD anyday. Acceleration is dramatically improved on the G37 over the meager 280HP TL-S. I had to throw on AEM CAI and ATLP Exhaust and new braces to get it go a little quicker. Wasn't worth it.

Long story short, stick to the G37 VQ. Plus, I hear this is the last generation VQ as the new motors are going to be a collaboration between Nissan & Mercedes.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I purchased an 04 TL new, drove it until about two years ago, traded it for an 03 BMW 530iA, and then just leased a new G37x AT. The TL was very reliable and has continued to be reliable (my brother purchased from me). That said, the leather was of poor quality, the torque steer was always noticable, and numerous rattles plagued me from day one. The stereo, while sounding fairly decent, was underpowered. As a side note, the BMW was smooth, quiet, and extremely well put together - not one rattle on an eight year old car with 73,000 miles. Unfortunately, I spent 4,600 in repairs in the last 12 months and another $3,000 forecast for the next 12. Insomuch, I cut my losses with the BMW and came across a good deal on a G. I love everything about the G except for the road noise. Those goodyears simply transmit alot of noise on less than perfect roads..especially through the front end. Handling is great for a non-sport package car, the rided is stiff, but well dampened, and wind/engine noise is well controlled. The power is intoxicating and I really like the sound system and push button start.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:25 PM
ttboy

Had a 2003 RSX-S that I traded in for the 09 G and a 2003 TL that I traded in for 2010 MDX. I do like the G but I miss the RSX because it was more fun to drive.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 AM
kosstick

Former NBP 07 tl-s owner checking in!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 AM
eksigned

nice! ^ welcome kosstick!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
4drScreamer

I just unloaded an '05 TL with 100K on it. Had Eibach lowering springs and Injin cold air intake. I really loved that ride and still miss some aspects of it. I just couldn't stomach the current gen TL (my wife says it looks like a Transformer toy).

However... My new '10 G37S sedan is amazing. Well worth the switchover to Infiniti (so far). Well see how it holds up through 100K. Interior refinements and quality don't match up to the TL, but the power, performance and handling are incomparable. Looked at GS 350 but like the TL it just didn't handle like a true performance car. There is also a big difference between front and rear wheel drive that needs to be considered.

My opinion... For performance and power go with the G.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd take any infiniti over an acura.
I notice most of the compliments are for te tl's.
my rdx goes back in 2 weeks.
good riddens, a japanese car built in the u.s. is a fail.
only thing I'll miss is the tiptronic sport mode, shifted perfect.
I won't miss them giving me a courtesy wash, with the dirty rag used on the rims.
goodbye to douchebag service people who know less about their products than I do.
I should have recorded the explanation of the sh-awd system,i knew more than the service writer explaining how it works.
he sounded like he read it out of a brochure, and turns out he was dead wrong.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 AM
eksigned

^ that's really unfortunate risky. i LOVE my local acura dealership. the gm + service manager are two of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to cars; the service manager drives a ct s/c nsx. in the past, i've had that dealership do free alignments, labor, etc.! when i'm done with the G, i just might have to swing back towards a honda
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Zenhan

I did , the acura was all around good car decent handling .it was zippy but the g37 overall in every category is an upgrade especially interior quality and engine power . Plus the fwd tends to get boring nothing wild about it sighhh