G37 Sedan

What are they talking about?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are they talking about?

This is a quote from Road and Track's most recent comparo of the G37S sedan vs Acura TL vs 335i vs quattro.

"Yes, the once-fabled VQ V-6 engine is showing its age, far thrashier near redline than the others, sending sizzling vibrations though the shift **** and seat. Yet it’s still a torquey and likable engine"

Does anybody agree? IMO this engine is at the leading edge of technology. Of course i have not driven the bimmer 335I or Quattro. It would be fun to have somebody who's driven both the g with bimmer or audi to comment.

I find the sound of the VQ37 is one of my favorite aspects of the car. vibrations at high revs? not with my 7 speed. They tested with the 6 speed which i have no experiance with.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
SCWells72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it's definitely showing its age. I think every single review I've read of the G37, the M37, and even the 370Z has made a statement along those lines. They stretched what was designed to be a very smooth 3.0L V6 into a 3.5L V6 that was still pretty smooth and then into a 3.7L V6 that's not very smooth at all, though it is powerful.

My Audi S4's V8 was buttery smooth and my wife's Bimmer's I6 was also very smooth. I've driven the 335i and the new S4 several times, both with forced-induction sixes, and both are incredibly refined.

Don't get me wrong...I actually do like the growl of the G37's engine at wide open throttle, but it sounds pretty ragged when you're just driving around town. My car has a 6MT and I can feel the vibrations through the shifter and even through the seat. I'm fine with that given the G37's bang-for-the-buck proposition, but I can see why Nissan/Infiniti is looking at outsourcing engines for the next-generation G and Z. The VQ has definitely run its course at this point and a clean-room design is needed.

Last edited by SCWells72; 06-09-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
from what i can understand, the reason why we feel engine vibration through our shift ***** (those of us with 6MT), is because of the design, no? it's rod-based or something like that...??? shoot...i like it (not in a funny way).
Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes,our engines get a bit thrashy in the upper rev band. For contrast, try flooring an IS350 - it revs to redline with zero drama.

I don't mind the engine being a little unrefined...makes it more fun to drive, IMO.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
ntworkg0d

I dunno, I can see both points of view. Having test drove the 2010 TL 6MT before buying my G, I can say that the TL's engine is way more refined and is smooth throughout the entire RPM band, almost to a fault IMO. No feedback through the shifter whatsoever. I too am a little partial to the "unrefined" feel of the G. It's like a beast you have to tame.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Yeah the VQ is not the hallmark of NHV refinement it once was. That's one of the reasons it fell off Ward's 10 Best list.

Once they started enlarging it from 3.0L it seemed to lose some of its smoothness.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Jamler

I love the feel of this car... And so do real car guys...
I've got a friend who owns an 05 Carrera S and other exotics...

He said he loves the feel and sound and pull of my G37S.
Thrashy near redline, sending sizzling vibes through shifter? And this is bad???

You can dampen the sound and feel on anything!
My engine does not feel like its vibrating off its mounts.
OK, The VQ may be ready for a clean room and a redesign
but that doesn't change the Application of it in a vehicle!
I certainly hope Nissan doesn't change they way they've been doing it!
Let the pompous worry about how quiet and smooth they get there.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 PM
hufington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want no drama get a Lexus. Our cars feel good, although a little unrefined in comparison to BMW 6 cylinder engines. I believe it offers the best bang for the buck.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 PM
PascalT

The first thing my dad noted when he drove my car the first time is how awesome it sounds and feels when accelerating. Older design or not, it feels right
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by hufington
If you want no drama get a Lexus. Our cars feel good, although a little unrefined in comparison to BMW 6 cylinder engines. I believe it offers the best bang for the buck.
I will fall asleep in a Lexus. I love a car with character. G is just right.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Coming from my previous car which was a pushrod, cammed, supercharged V6 with solid motor mounts, this car is smooth as silk haha. But in all honesty, at times i feel the "roughness" of the engine, but i like it. Makes it feel more of like a sports car than some ultra refined grandma grocery getter
Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cvroom
... vibrations at high revs? not with my 7 speed. They tested with the 6 speed which i have no experiance with...

I can feel it in my AT at high rpms and at very low rpms when the tranny stays in high gear for fuel economy eventhough you're moving slow. It feels like it's about to stall then the shifter vibrates and the tranny finally shifts to a lower gear.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 AM
robxc80

compared to my 05 tl, the engine and shifter on my 6mt is harsh and i remember seeing that as a turn off when i first test drove this car. but now, i have no complaints. Sure its a little rough but thats a-ok with me.

like scotch, sure the highland single malts are smooth and refined...but i like islays...smokey, stinky, and harsh!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:25 AM
mayday813

.....it's a sports sedan! I've had Acura Integra's and TL's since 1990. The VQ HR engine is every bit as smooth as my 2005 TL six speed and the 2003 TL-s that we traded in on our 2009 G-37 Journey Premium AT. The 3.7 VQ has a visceral sound to it when pushed hard. I like it.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
hufington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I will fall asleep in a Lexus. I love a car with character. G is just right.

+1 on that. You can get bored to death in a Lexus if you don't get squeezed to death before due to the tiny interior!

Quick Reply: What are they talking about?