G37 Sedan

Wear and Tear Coverage when Leasing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wear and Tear Coverage when Leasing

When I leased my G, I was told that up to $500 of damage will be covered (scratches, etc.). When I brought the car in for my first oil change, I heard a completely different thing : that up to $500 is covered only if I get a another Infiniti at the end of my lease.

Now I'm confused, and kinda pissed. Which one is the correct info?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
indycase

Don't worry so much about it - remember, it's always cheaper for the dealer to "fix" whatever needs to be fixed so my rule of thumb is just to hand the car back and let them figure it out - especially if you're getting another product from them. The only exception would be accident damages and the reason is because you don't want them to think that you trashed the car while you had it so just patch that up nicely before you hand it back to them I'm sure you take good care of your car because you're passionate about it since you're on this forum so I wouldn't even worry about it. All stone chips and small bumper dings such as those from license plate screws and door dings are forgiven including small scratches.

Let's put it this way, I paid $500 to cover a set of 4 225/50/17 tires (was on the original set for 94,000 km!) and a golf-ball size door ding on my old 2003 Maxima when I returned the car.

So just take care of your car and not let this stress you out because you leased your car - I'm on my third from Nissan. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 AM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by indycase
Don't worry so much about it - remember, it's always cheaper for the dealer to "fix" whatever needs to be fixed so my rule of thumb is just to hand the car back and let them figure it out - especially if you're getting another product from them. The only exception would be accident damages and the reason is because you don't want them to think that you trashed the car while you had it so just patch that up nicely before you hand it back to them I'm sure you take good care of your car because you're passionate about it since you're on this forum so I wouldn't even worry about it. All stone chips and small bumper dings such as those from license plate screws and door dings are forgiven including small scratches.

Let's put it this way, I paid $500 to cover a set of 4 225/50/17 tires (was on the original set for 94,000 km!) and a golf-ball size door ding on my old 2003 Maxima when I returned the car.

So just take care of your car and not let this stress you out because you leased your car - I'm on my third from Nissan. Good luck!
Good advice. I appreciate it, and will try not to let it get to me
Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
JaxG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes they only waive it if you get another Infiniti or Nissan.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
MDG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of the salesman being a salesman.

Unless you beat up your cars or just don't care enough to take basic caution, you should be fine. Ask the dealer if they have a card or booklet that describes in more detail what Infiniti considers to be acceptable wear and tear. When I had a BMW lease, they are very up front about it and will even show you or give you the clear plastic tool they use to measure dents, tire tread, rips, etc. when you tuurn the car in.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 AM
JaxG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the car I just turned in a couple months ago. They didnt notice the ding on the hood, or the 6" scratch down the door, but she got me for some scrapes under the front bumper. WTF? She marked it as $100 damage, but I got another infiniti so it was waived.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM
MDG37S

I guess it depends on who is doing the inspection, too. When I turned in my BMW lease, it was a salesman who inspected it. He tried to say my tire tread depth was too low because he was using one of the grooves that isn't cut all the way. The tires had 2k miles on them since I used aftermarket wheels/tires soon after I leased it! I finally convinced him that he needs to use the regular part of the tread by the wear indicator and not a half-groove that runs the circumference of the tire. If a more knowledgable person did the inspection, it would have saved me 20 minutes.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by MDG37S

Unless you beat up your cars or just don't care enough to take basic caution, you should be fine. Ask the dealer if they have a card or booklet that describes in more detail what Infiniti considers to be acceptable wear and tear. When I had a BMW lease, they are very up front about it and will even show you or give you the clear plastic tool they use to measure dents, tire tread, rips, etc. when you tuurn the car in.
I take good care of my car. I only do hand washes, and wipe with highest quality mf towels. I use good car care products on it. I park it away from other cars to avoid dings. I put on a bumper bully when parking. I do everything I possibly can to avoid damage. BUT, I live in Brooklyn NY, so even with everything I'm doing to care for the car, it still gets messed up.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 AM
MDG37S

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I take good care of my car. I only do hand washes, and wipe with highest quality mf towels. I use good car care products on it. I park it away from other cars to avoid dings. I put on a bumper bully when parking. I do everything I possibly can to avoid damage. BUT, I live in Brooklyn NY, so even with everything I'm doing to care for the car, it still gets messed up.
I really wouldn't let it bother you. Just enjoy the car. Big repairs are through insurance and comestic repairs can be done cheaply (paintless dent repair, buffing/wet sanding, wheel refinishing) so don't sweat it.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
BLKG37X

I really wouldn't let it bother you. Just enjoy the car. Big repairs are through insurance and comestic repairs can be done cheaply (paintless dent repair, buffing/wet sanding, wheel refinishing) so don't sweat it.
Thanks, I will try my best
Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
indycase

In Canada, (at least for Infiniti and Nissan), they use only third party inspectors to be unbiased. Nissan usually mails you a copy of the wear and tear guide when your lease is almost up but they don't really follow it to the tee. I think it's more for any disagreements. Th salesperson told me not to wash the car before returning it and leave the tank empty. All they do is walk around it superficially. The funny thing is that when they were trying to remove my old license plate from the back bumper to transfer to my new G37, the screw was stuck and they ripped part of the bumper cover and said it's all good lol I got a letter in the mail a month later from Infiniti saying I owe them $0. So I'm all clear.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
yevi

I just went through the inspection process and its a joke...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by yevi
I just went through the inspection process and its a joke...
A joke as in they didn't give a damn, or a joke that they tried to nail you for a ton of insignificant things??
Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
has anyone ever owned a rental property and inspect one of your tenants for damage at the end? It's the same thing

you rented from Infiniti Financial Services... on the back of your contract it details the terms and conditions
Old 03-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
has anyone ever owned a rental property and inspect one of your tenants for damage at the end? It's the same thing

you rented from Infiniti Financial Services... on the back of your contract it details the terms and conditions
I have! It's amazing what some tenants expect you to pay to fix that they damaged while your property was in their care. Or they are amazed that you are charging them to put the place back in rentable condition after they painted the walls pink with green polka dots.

I've always thought that a car lease would be the same. The mods that some guys do to a leased car are amazing. At any rate leasing has never made financial sense for me so I've always purchased. I'm now assuming a lease that is almost mature with the intent to purchase the car when it ends later this year so that the original lessor has paid for all the depreciation up front and I take over a vehicle with very little out of pocket expense and instant equity. One of my big concerns was finding a vehicle that hadn't been modded in any way that would cause me to have to pay for damages at lease end just in case I change my mind about purchasing it. I got really lucky with the deal I found. But I wouldn't want many of the cars coming off lease from most of our forum members.

Quick Reply: Wear and Tear Coverage when Leasing