G37 Sedan

G37 RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Victor_minator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 RWD vs AWD

Hi , guys!

Went for a 2009 g37 test drive yesterday(rwd, automatic with paddle shifts, gt, european version) with my father. I can say that in was beyond my expectations. I was impressed by the adaptive throttle (I'm not sure how it's called), and I liked the standard brakes and suspension as well.
Before the test drive I was thinking of buying an AWD G37, but since the test drive my father has been trying to convince me to buy a RWD version; he says that the rwd model is more stable around corners and brake distance is shorter cause it's lighter. Today I've watched the Infiniti video about their AWD system and have understood that the AWD kicks in only when you lose grip , otherwise the car drives in RWD mode.

p.s. The european gt version comes with 18 inch wheels, 245 rear and 225 front tires. My father proposed an interesting solution: to go for the RWD (AWD model can only ship in the begining of october) and to buy one more car : a 2006 Audi A6 quattro 3,2 petrol 256 hp for about 10000 $ from a friend for the winter season .

What do you think about AWD vs RWD g37 in terms of cornering braking?
Do you think that RWD G37 would be able to cope on snow with good winter tires?
What version would you go for if there were several weeks of snow in winter and you loved to go skiing in the mountains ?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about braking but cornering and acceleration is better in the RWD. But AWD is no slouch either. RWD will not be great on snow, the better tires will not help significally.
I would go for the AWD
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
stratos

You are not buying the S version where the performance upgrades are.
(brakes and suspension)

So I doubt if you'll see any performance differences between the Rwd and Awd under normal conditions. In the track, the Awd might be even faster than the Rwd because of the extra grip the Awd will provide while exiting corners.

In the winter, if you are getting as much snow as you are describing the Awd is a more sensible buy. Having said that, in the snow, I'd rather have a Rwd with winter tires than an Awd with all weather tires. But that's just me.

In the end, it's up to you. Drive the Awd if you can. Only then you'll be able to make an informed decision.

Stratos.-
Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
carz

honestly, it all depends on the way you drive, but i dont think there will be any differences in handling and cornering between the 2 models.

HOWEVER, it depends which RWD model you get, meaning with or without sport package (sport suspension, sharper steering), but i doubt it will be a HUGE difference over the AWD model.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM
NonAme

If you get snow get awd. Trust me i've driven rwd in the snow before and since then my only cars are awd. Huge difference in the snow mode.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry I drove through all the storms, except the first one, we had this winter in NJ with a RWD G with winter tires and I had no issues at all.

In fact my RWD G with winter tires drove better in the snow than my 08xs did with the all-season tires. The only advantage the AWD had over the RWD with winter tires was starting on an incline. Other than that the car with the RWD with the winter tires was without a doubt easier and more predictable to drive in the snow.

And I have not changed job or moved in a couple of years so both cars were driven on the same exact roads.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 PM
The Jewbag

^^seriously. We had some seriously badd snow in NY this winter and I drove my RWD fine through them. I even had summer tires on most of the time.

The RWD is definitely more fun to drive. AWD feels wayyyyyy too floaty for me.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've driven in the snow with both an AWD and RWD G. With decent snow tires it's fine in either car. Besides, the biggest issue for most people is stopping in the snow, not starting off. AWD won't help there but good snow tires will.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the difference is the tires. put the same tires on each and the handling differences will be essentially ZERO! the reason the awd feels loose or floaty is that it has terrible all seas (good for NO season) tires. first thing i did on my X was put 19" HTRZIII's on it. it sticks really well, VERY VERY predictable and very high cornering grip and feel.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Get the RWD since it seems to have sport package (staggered tires)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
dopey
Registered Member

I had an '07 G35S and prior to that an '02 Lexus IS300 and I live in Minnesota. The IS was perfectly fine to drive with good snow tires, but when the snow tires started to wear to about half way things got a little more annoying. Still doable.

I now have a 2010 G37xS and I bought it during some pretty crappy weather in Feb. The AWD definitely does better getting going, but the '07 G did much better at stopping (i still had the all seasons on since Feb was late enough in the season i didn't see a point in getting snows yet).

One big thing though RWD likes to fishtail when it's slippery. This is to be expected if you get used to it and you just need to feather the throttle through it. After 8+ years of RWD driving, it became second nature, but people in the car freak out sometimes when you fishtail just getting going from a stop in deep snow

As for performance and handling,motortrend or c&d or one of the magazines took a previous generation RWD G vs an AWD G through an autocross course and the AWD beat the RWD G pretty soundly.

Really you can't go wrong either way, RWD with snows, or AWD both are amazing vehicles in their own way When I put snows on my for next winter, it should be pretty close to unstoppable in minnesota snow
Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I own both: G37 RWD and G37x AWD. Both europe versions.
RWD is losing grip very easy. It lose grip even on acceleration from a roll.
AWD need a very wet road and heavy rain to lose grip and even then is only for a fraction of a second.
Both card are on Bridgestone Potenza tyres.

I raced my cars against each other.
From a standing start, the AWD blow away the RWD and there is no chance for RWD to catch it later sience they both have the same power.
From a rolling start the difference is smaller but AWD still outrun the RWD.

The downside is that with AWD there is no chance to make any drifts on corners, even with the ESP off.

So AWD is FAST and safe.

The RWD is FUN. Alot of fun, but not so fast as AWD just because of losing grip.

Beside, i had some very bad experiences with RWD last winter.
I tryed to get the car out of the parking lot when there was only 10cm of snow outside.
I had no chance to move the car. After 5 minutes of trying, it started to smell like burning tires.
It was very embarasing because there was alot of cheap Dacia Logan fwd cars, with no abs and esp, on the road that was able to handle the snow just fine.
After that experience, i didn't even tryed to move the G37 rwd when there was snow or ice outside.

The awd didn't had any problem on the snow. Only the icy road made the driving alittle funny.

So if you whant the car for fun and drifts, get the rwd. But you wont go to any skiing with that car.
If you need it for everyday driving, get the AWD. But you wont make any drifts with that one.

I got the rwd one in 2 days, sience the car was on stock and i waited 5 months for the AWD.
But it worth it.

BTW!!!
The 3,7L engine consume 22L/100Km in the city and 12L/100km on the highway.
The difference betwen RWD and AWD is that AWD consume with 0,2L/100 Km more than RWD

So the car is not cheap to run in europe. I fill up the tank every week and that cost me about 70 euro per week.
that's way more expensive than any diesel out there.

But, the roar of the engine make the diesel crowd to turn heads and stay away from you.

Last edited by Elco; 06-02-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ The RWD is faster than AWD after launch.. might be the same power but RWD weighs less.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
^ The RWD is faster than AWD after launch.. might be the same power but RWD weighs less.

Yes. It might be...on the paper.
But i tested the cars. side by side, both in DS mode, same fuel, same tyres.
Acceleration on the floor till 160 Km/h (100 mph)
The AWD was 15m ahead when rwd got some grip.
The distance betwen cars was the same till the end of the race.

I like that i can drift at low speed, arownd the corners with rwd.
Awd cant do that. That's the only downside to it.

Anyway, i dont regret because i got them both.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the RWD and find another beater for the winter.

Quick Reply: G37 RWD vs AWD