G37 Sedan

First service tomorrow - question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM
PascalT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First service tomorrow - question

Tomorrow is my first service for the car (3 months). I just want to get an oil change done and that's it. Does that affect my warranty or resale value in any way? And do they usually want you to do more than just that?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
? how could servicing the car affect the warranty?

and the only thing keeping the car serviced will do to the resale value will preserve it (wouldn't you pay more for a car that had been taken care of versus one that hadn't )

they will do whatever you want them to. just make sure if you take your own oil for them to use that they actually use it
Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
PascalT

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
? how could servicing the car affect the warranty?
I don't know, i just want to make sure there's no drawbacks to not doing everything stated in the book.

thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
1fastbob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep a record of all service done on your vehicle and it will make it worth slightly more. First oil change at 3 months is fine. If you are nearing 5,000 miles or 8,000 km make sure to have the tires rotated as this will make them last longer.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as you do the tangible items according to schedule (oil change, filter changes, etc.), you'll be fine. I haven't paid for the intangibles (inspect blinker fluid, etc.) in over 10 years with zero consequences.

As a matter of fact, dealers want to perform inspections to potentially find other service items to sell you. The idea of paying them for an inspection is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Here's a list of the tangibles that you should have done, assuming the 3,750 mile service interval applies to you:

- Change oil and filter every 3,750;
- Rotate tires every 7,500 unless you have staggered wheels;
- Replace in-cabin air filter every 15,000 miles;
- Replace engine air filter every 30,000 miles;
- Replace engine coolant every 60,000 miles; and
- Replace spark plugs every 105,000 miles.

Everything else is on an inspect and/or premium maintenance schedule. Again, I'm not making any of this up and this is not my opinion - this is from the service schedule booklet provided with the car.

By the way, engine air filter changes are amazingly simple on this car. If you have enough mechanical know-how to open the hood, you can change both filters in less than 5 minutes if you work slowly. Cabin air filters are a bit of a PIA, but there are great how-to posts on this forum for this item as well. This is an inexpensive car to own and maintain if you tell the dealer specific items you want serviced. Never tell them you want the 15k/30k/whatever service, or they will send their kids to college on your generosity.

Last edited by 15951; 05-31-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
PascalT

noted.. thank you. First oil change was done quickly.. cost me $59 CDN because they had to add a small amount of oil to the one i brought. I used Pennzoil Platinum.

I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks but the car felt a lot smoother after the change.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
EKinNYC

so after 3 months, what was the mileage on the car?

ive never really felt comfortable following the 3000mi/3mo interval - i always drive less than that...90% of my driving is done on the weekends so it takes me longer than 3 months to get to 3000 miles.
my G will be @ 3 months at the end of june, and my car only has 700 miles, so im not even sure when to get that first change done
Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
PascalT

It has 3k KM on it which is where the first oil change should be done according to Infiniti Canada. Coincidentally i've had the car for 3 months.

I talked to their rep about this and she said to use the mileage as to when to change the oil and not the time period.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
EKinNYC

thanks.

at that rate, my car will be getting its first oil change in a year haha
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
omg i've had my car for 20 days and i've got 2100 miles on it :-( and i was holding back on the driving too.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PascalT
noted.. thank you. First oil change was done quickly.. cost me $59 CDN because they had to add a small amount of oil to the one i brought. I used Pennzoil Platinum.

I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks but the car felt a lot smoother after the change.
That's kind of a bummer if they had to "water down" your P.Plat with some lesser oil. According to the people who market the stuff, adding dino oil to synthetic will not cause any harm but might reduce the benefits you'd get from the synthetic. But that might just be marketing hooey anyway. With a small amount like that I bet it won't make any difference at all, except that they apparently get to overcharge you for it .

For future reference, the manual says the car takes about 5 and 1/8 quarts with the filter installed (i might be remembering the exact fraction wrong but it's slightly over 5). So I'd bring 6 and ask them to give you back the remainder, and you can bring that one back next time (or top-off when needed).
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
As long as you do the tangible items according to schedule (oil change, filter changes, etc.), you'll be fine. I haven't paid for the intangibles (inspect blinker fluid, etc.) in over 10 years with zero consequences.

(snipped a bunch for brevity)
- Change oil and filter every 3,750;
- Rotate tires every 7,500 unless you have staggered wheels;
- Replace in-cabin air filter every 15,000 miles;
- Replace engine air filter every 30,000 miles;
- Replace engine coolant every 60,000 miles; and
- Replace spark plugs every 105,000 miles.
One thing I would add to that if you don't get the entire list inspected is you probably will want to have someone inspect the brakes at least once a year. And probably belts every few years also. Wear & tear stuff, in other words.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
EKinNYC

Originally Posted by NonAme
omg i've had my car for 20 days and i've got 2100 miles on it :-( and i was holding back on the driving too.
i hope you financed it!!

i live in nyc, and work in midtown manhattan, so it would be insanity to take the car in to work (and expensive, parking is about $15/day). hence, only the weekend driving
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
One thing I would add to that if you don't get the entire list inspected is you probably will want to have someone inspect the brakes at least once a year. And probably belts every few years also. Wear & tear stuff, in other words.
My dealership performs a 27-point inspection for free with the basic oil change, and both of those wear items are included. There's no way they'll pass up the opportunity to do a brake job or replace belts if necessary. It's sad that people pay to have them glance at the pad widths or belt condition.

The one thing not on the schedule that I would do at least every 2 years is a brake fluid change. There's no way to tell by looking at it how much water is in the brake fluid, so it's better just to change it every 2-3 years.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
PascalT

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
That's kind of a bummer if they had to "water down" your P.Plat with some lesser oil. According to the people who market the stuff, adding dino oil to synthetic will not cause any harm but might reduce the benefits you'd get from the synthetic. But that might just be marketing hooey anyway. With a small amount like that I bet it won't make any difference at all, except that they apparently get to overcharge you for it .

For future reference, the manual says the car takes about 5 and 1/8 quarts with the filter installed (i might be remembering the exact fraction wrong but it's slightly over 5). So I'd bring 6 and ask them to give you back the remainder, and you can bring that one back next time (or top-off when needed).
I bought a 4.5L or something like that and they mentioned the car needs 4.9 or so. I just paid $9.99 for the extra Mobil1. The tech said it doesn't make a difference if you mix them since they're rated the same. I dunno about that but it's only 10% of the oil used so it's ok for one time.

Quick Reply: First service tomorrow - question