G37 Sedan

Considering G37X(s), need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 PM
ostrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering G37X(s), need advice!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I must say that I really enjoy reading it! The information here has been very helpful indeed.

I am currently considering a new vehicle, and I really liked the Acura TL SH-AWD. However, this past weekend, I had a chance to drive the G37X - what a joy it was to drive it!!! I enjoyed it so much that I am now completing re-thinking about my choices! :-)

I do have a few questions though:

1. I love the larger wheels of the Sport package. However, with the larger wheels, does it create more road noise and does it make the ride appear to be much stiffer and bumpier? I just test drove the regular G37X so at some point I will need to test drive the G37XS but I would really like to hear about your experience.

2. When is the G sedan due for a major model year change? I would hate to buy a new car, just to find out that a year later it is due for a big design change!

3. How do you compare the Infiniti AWD system to the Acura SH-AWD system?

Thank you so much for all your help!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have G37xS and even with the 18s I think the drives pretty smooth. It is not as smooth as the G37X but still very comfortable and smooth on long drives.

The TL is a great car as long as you can deal with the design. I think the new TL is probably the most ugly car that Acura has ever produced, but that is just my opinion. The back of the car is constantly "smiling" at you! LOL

As far as the AWD systems, the SH-AWD system handles better in the snow. When I test drove the TL in the winter I basically could not get the thing to lose grip of the road. (I think I scared the sales person a bit)

I personally have no problems at all with the G's AWD system in the snow up in Michigan. It may not be as good in the snow as the SH-AWD but I think it gives the driver a better feel of the road.

All in all, I dont think you will be disappointed with either car. They both are well built cars, it all depends on your personal taste when it comes to design.

I think the G will probably get a remodel in 2012, but that is just a guess...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
KingG37

I can help you with this I was just where you are now. I have had both the new G37x and the new TL for extensive drives. Hundreds of miles in both and in the end I bought a G37xS a week ago. The TL is better in curves for sure but that's due to the SH-AWD and what it does but the G is a more thrill to drive and the response is quicker. I think both have about the same harshness of drive so that's not really a factor. I like the back end look of the TL but not the front. I like both the front and back of the G. I'm not biased to infiniti I also own acuras currently so this is purely a comparison of the TL SH-AWD to the G37x/G37xS.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
XsG

Definitely get the G37xS (I love my '09!). The Dunlop Sport Maxx tires on the 18" wheels are a huge improvement in handling over the 17" RSAs, and still give a decent and quiet ride. The sport seats and paddle shifters are cool too! The Infiniti AWD system is superb, seamless and as good as any other system out there. As for the Acura, I'm sure it's a great driver too, but it's slower and soooooooo goofy looking!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
ace72

Originally Posted by ostrich
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I must say that I really enjoy reading it! The information here has been very helpful indeed.

I am currently considering a new vehicle, and I really liked the Acura TL SH-AWD. However, this past weekend, I had a chance to drive the G37X - what a joy it was to drive it!!! I enjoyed it so much that I am now completing re-thinking about my choices! :-)

1. I love the larger wheels of the Sport package. However, with the larger wheels, does it create more road noise and does it make the ride appear to be much stiffer and bumpier? I just test drove the regular G37X so at some point I will need to test drive the G37XS but I would really like to hear about your experience.

2. When is the G sedan due for a major model year change? I would hate to buy a new car, just to find out that a year later it is due for a big design change!

1) You love the larger wheels... Just for looks? Why not test drive both and see if you don't mind the stiffer ride and handling? I found my G35x a superbly balanced automobile. Since I wasn't taking it to the track, I wasn't worried about the extra capabilities offered by the Sport Package. I realize the AWD sport is a different beast than the 6MT sport, but again, test drive each one to see what you like best.

2) No idea about next major redesign, but I hear you. Nothing is worse than getting the last iteration of a long running model only to see the newer chic model debut and you just blew your wad on the old style.

3) Up in the hills of New Hampshire, the G35x was unstoppable in snow. Put it in snow mode and you have no worries. I can't speak to the Acura, but for God's sake, it looks like a freakin' Transformer...

-ace72
Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
yoyoma

I looked long and hard at the TL SH-AWD. Ended up with G37x. The TL is too long - it wouldn't fit in my garage. You can't beat the rear-wheel drive in normal driving on the G. Not to mention the looks of the TL - even with the $8k discount Acura was offering.

The G37Xs was a bit too harsh for my liking and the seats were uncomfortable. I am thoroughly happy with the handling of my non-sport X and with my purchase decision.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
MOB

IMO....and granted I wasn't looking at the SH vs. the X. I was looking back & forth at a loaded TL vs. the G37s....did not want AWD. The TL was just too bulky, awkward, and in the end felt soft, slow, & less responsive compared to the G37. While there were some things I did like about the TL (interior cosmetics/fit & finish)....the G was equally nice inside, had much cleaner lines on the outside, and the obvious choice in my mind & I couldn't be happier. And I must agree with many opinions out there....the TL is definitely kinda fugly and gets fuglier when parked next to a G37.

BUT....I've got a buddy with a new TL that loves it....but he knows I'll spank him on any road. They are both solid cars though.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
GxS

1. The suspension components of the X and xS are completely the same ie springs, sways as well as the brakes are the same. The only difference between them are the wheels and tires, the front seat thigh extension, paddles shifters, and sport front fascia (all for the xS).

2. The v36 chassis has been out since '07. Assuming nissan has a 4-5 year refresh cycle (from the v35 to the v36) that would probably mean maybe a new chassis in '12?

3. I like the ATTESA system of nissan more than acuras SH-AWD. my other car is a MDX and i didnt think much of the AWD system. Nissan's AWD system has a RWD bias so it gives the ride a sporty feel. @ cruising speeds the G is running 100% RWD. The SH-AWD has a front wheel drive bias which in itself sort of kills things for me.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
allagaroo

Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 G37xS and really preferred the 18" Dunlops over the 17" RSA's. That was a $600 option for the wheels and it was included with the sport package for $1100. Easy decision! I love the sport seats and so does my wife but large people may find them uncomfortable. I also like the paddles. I had a G37x loaner and didn't find the 18"tires appreciably harsher than the 17's. Had an A6 before and for the difference in money the Infiniti is a bargain and a hoot to drive. Pretty good sound system and Nav also. Don't know about comparison with Acura since it was too ugly to consider and I don't know about major changes on the G except I would expect direct injection coming along pretty soon. Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
ostrich

Thank you so much, everyone! You have all given me some good advice and things to think about - I really appreciate it!

Funnily enough, I actually don't mind the exterior design of the TL (!!!!!) but I certainly can see why people think that it's really ugly... LOL!

I will certainly try and test drive the G37X with sport package. I must say that I like the interior of the Acura better but I like the thrills of driving the G37X better!

The only thing that the Acura TL SH-AWD has a clear edge over the G37X is the fact that it still has a good few more years to go, before a major design change, whereas the G sedan is probably due for a major change for the 2012 model year. So that is just over a year away.... hmm....

Thanks again for all of your great points! Much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 AM
ActionAl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a 2010 G37xS A.E. and didn't bother retesting the TL due to it's looks (to me) and my previous test drive. The TL felt like I was like driving a "video game." The throttle and steering felt fake...not directly connected. The "G" feels real and is a lot more fun to drive. Acura makes a nice car, my wife's MDX and two co-workers with TL's love them.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 AM
c4racer

Thank you so much, everyone! You have all given me some good advice and things to think about - I really appreciate it!

Funnily enough, I actually don't mind the exterior design of the TL (!!!!!) but I certainly can see why people think that it's really ugly... LOL!

I will certainly try and test drive the G37X with sport package. I must say that I like the interior of the Acura better but I like the thrills of driving the G37X better!

The only thing that the Acura TL SH-AWD has a clear edge over the G37X is the fact that it still has a good few more years to go, before a major design change, whereas the G sedan is probably due for a major change for the 2012 model year. So that is just over a year away.... hmm....

Thanks again for all of your great points! Much appreciated.
mfg's will always make new and better models. Personally I like to buy 2 or 3 years in to the model run as more bugs are worked out. 2010 in that sense is a really solid option. It's not the last year since we know the 2011 is not a refresh. Which makes it the perfect year to buy now if you like the car and need one now. Go for it!!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM
zoner

The one thing I notice about my xS is that the tires make a pinging sound over sharp expansion joints. But this only happens in one particular stretch of interstate.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
The TL is a great car as long as you can deal with the design. I think the new TL is probably the most ugly car that Acura has ever produced, but that is just my opinion. The back of the car is constantly "smiling" at you! LOL
As is the front. The best description I've heard is that it looks like a parrot fish.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Antonio246

The best advice anyone could have given me when I was test driving cars (4 mos ago) would have been to read the threads that discuss the complaints from G37 owners. They are all completely valid! I'm now complaining about the same things. Decide how important these things are to you then make your decision.

Blue Slate G37x

Quick Reply: Considering G37X(s), need advice!