G37 Sedan

Ok, got a '10 sedan w/o the sport package. Mistake. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:49 AM
bigtimegeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, got a '10 sedan w/o the sport package. Mistake. What are my options?

Total noob here. Just got a '10 sedan Journey with premium package and nav (liquid platinum). I got a great deal on it that I couldn't pass up at the time (and stupidly was being cheap), so unfortunately I went for one without the sport package. I'm missing it already.

I can get the bigger wheels, brakes and other parts eventually, but what I'm really missing is the sport-tuned suspension and tighter steering.

I drove it around some seriously windy roads this weekend and felt the body roll was a little too much and the steering a bit too loose for my taste. I had a Z and it was like riding on rails so I'm looking for something in-between.

Is there any (affordable) way to get the suspension and steering tuned to my tastes at this point?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Aside from the brakes, the only thing concerns me is the seats in my sport package, I don't really care for the rest.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:25 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Changing the springs will help, look into eibachs or H&Rs. You can also change the sway bars if the springs dont help enough.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM
BillPaul

Note that the large thigh bolstering in the sport seats makes it very difficult to exit the car without creasing the leather. Not sure to what extent this occurs in the regular seats. I am currently driving a G37S MT and would have been happy to forego everything in the sport version, but I wanted the MT. Overall, I am very happy. Just note that the seats will show their age more rapidly than a lot of us would like.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Really your only option is to learn from this mistake and next time you are buying a car, wait for what you want not what's available right then and there.

That being said, get Hotchkis sways and any spring (I like the Eibachs), get a BBK, and you will be on your way. If you can't live w/o the seats then buy some sport seats too
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The sport package is only worth it if you aren't going to replace the components with aftermarket parts.

The major things are:

VLSD
Suspension
Rims
Brakes

Rims are usually the first to go, followed by suspension. Aftermarket LSDs and BBKs are less common, but still easily replaceable.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 AM
freesurfer
Registered Member

I was considering getting a G37x coupe (non-sport) and upgrading to the sport package. This is what I found...
  • Sport seats are $2,000 each I think... I dropped it from my wish list.
  • Sport Brakes are also crazy expensive... but I was still considering.
  • VLSD... the ALTESSA awd system adequately compensated. But without either I would want the VLSD, also expensive.
  • Sport tuned Suspension, springs, struts and sway bars... can get better through aftermarket. A cheaper version is to buy someone's used suspension who had sport but already upgraded to aftermarket. (hint: mine will be FS in two weeks, shameless plug)
  • Sport Steering... I haven't heard of a post-sale swap on this component, nor do I know how it compares to non-sport version.
  • Wheels... I recommend getting someone's sport wheels and tires, who upgraded to aftermarket. Price is around $1k. Price of aftermarket wheels (w/tires) is around $3-5k.
  • Sport front bumper... massively cooler than non-sport bumper, opinions also vary. Might be able to find a used-sport bumper on here, though they're not that common. I think a new one is $600 plus paint.
Sorry if the pricing estimates were off, I did this on the fly.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tested both a sport and non-sport sedan and chose the non-sport for my driving style.
The main reason I got it is for comfortable,fast, extended highway trips. The non-sport seats and ride were more comfortable then the sport version.
I would have liked the upgraded brakes, but I doubt if they would do any better then the regular brakes, for anything other then the race track, where they would fade less under numerous hard braking.
If the sport version had more horsepower then the non-sport, that may have been enough to sway me.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
MOB

I shopped and shopped for about 8 months before pulling the trigger on my '09 s. Went back & forth on sport vs. non and while the pricing was attractive for the non, am so glad I went with the sport. Tighter driving, more aggressive via the paddles, seats are way more comfortable IMO on the sport, and the brakes are definitely an improvement. All this said, I am still looking to make aftermarket adjustments and wish the sport version brought a hp performance upgrade....duhhh Infiniti. Boggles me that there is no difference there. Oh well, suspension tuning can make significant improvements that put results in the hands of the driver. While keeping the vehicle predominantly stock, I will be swapping springs for the Eibachs for a more aggressive stance, adding Hotchkis sways to further reduce body roll, and adding the camber kits to ensure proper alignment once the Eibach's are installed. Outside of that, I've read countless forums and reviews stating true power adders are minimal in their availability since factory engine tuning squeezed about as much out of this motor as you can get without going to an un-naturally aspirated situation which means big bucks and ongoing tuning needs. Dollar-for-hp/tq, exhaust changes aren't worth it unless you absolutely have to bring in more sound.

For your situation and desire to enhance the suspension, I would recommend:
*full coilovers if you've got the cash.
*reputable springs to your liking as the top brands have varying drop #'s
*Hotchkis sways
*upgrade wheels & tires
*And perhaps some additional bracing for even more rigidity...but not necessary.

All said and done, you can have significant suspension improvements for around $1000 (w/out wheels/tires obviously) depending on what you choose....or $3000 depending on what you choose. Whatever the case, good luck....
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For inexpensive you could probably start out with a large sway bar which might compensate for some of what you don't like about the softer suspension.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Bravo1

Personally I would go with rims and tires first. I don't know what is the largest width tire that you can place on a G without spacers or rubbing and so forth, but having extra grip there should help push the limits up a good bit. After that you can see what the balance of your car feels like and either just do springs, sways or coilovers. As far as steering.... the speed I don't think can be changed cheaply, but you can alter the setup to where your tires bite a little quicker when you do steer.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want the OEM sport sways I'll sell them to you for dirt cheap, same with the sport springs (I don't know if they're different from non-sport springs)...I have my hotchkis/eibachs in so I have no need for them
Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
xclusive

Is there any way of adding the paddle shifters?? I think that would be a nice feature.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xclusive
Is there any way of adding the paddle shifters?? I think that would be a nice feature.
It's unlikely, but if your car is pre-wired, you can just purchase the parts and put them in.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xclusive
The Sewell Infiniti Parts shop lists a "Paddle Shifter Kit." There's no other details about it, however. I guess you'd have to call them to find out exactly what that is.
2009 G37 Sedan: Paddle Shifter Kit - Paddle Shifter Kit

Quick Reply: Ok, got a '10 sedan w/o the sport package. Mistake. What are my options?