G37 Sedan

Ok, got a '10 sedan w/o the sport package. Mistake. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
g37xs_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ I stand corrected; that was true for the '09s (which I have) but for 2010 the AWD sedan Sport package does include the quicker ratio, just not the tuned suspension. That alone would make it worth it...

2009 G37 Sedan Technical Specs: http://www.nissannews.com/assets/spe...Specs_9-08.pdf

2010 G37 Sedan Technical Specs: www.nissannews.com/download.do?id=959
Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Not trying to pick on you, but the S version with manual trans. does put more power to the wheels. There's less driveline loss.
thats only the dyno.. in a quarter mile race the results will be equal.

OP Jouney is the best option for all modders. Sport is awesome to have for what it cost, but if you're gonna mod it, then it really makes no sense.
but like others posted, its just the Vlsd (which is weak) and the seats you'll end up keeping.

I have the journey and wanted sport, but after thinking out my future plans.. I have no use for sport, but only thing I would like would be the seats. But later on I'll custom my journey seats or pick up some sport seats from the junk yard.

my journey so far.
Ive upgraded the sways to hotchkis.. better than sport
upgradding to coils next week... better thans sport
wheels will be next... of course way better than oem's
later in time I'll be adding a TRUE LSD (maybe)
as for brakes, we already have 07-08 sport brakes. Maybe an upgrade later for me though.
white leather stitiching... thats a nice, i like it. but no big deal.
steering ration.. who cares.. I dont track.

just my input
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For people that have sporting intention, the G37 sport package is really a great value: LSD, brakes, seats , wheels, variable steering ratio, tuned suspension. Heck, it even came with better tires then the non sport. The LSD may be deem "weak" by track junkies, but it is quiet and better then a open diff. One can't argue about the brakes, it brings joy to the driving experience. Unless I have 5K to buy at least some thing like Volks or the like, cheaper after market wheels don't even fit properly, heavier and most required eccentric rings. Variable steering is what makes the sport pkg value even greater; you can have light parking steering effort during parking or slow speed maneuver, but lighting quick, precise control at higher speed (try to have a mod equal to that) After market coil spring and sway-bars looks great, but prepare for bone jarring rides and you better buy a good (expensive) set up. Cheaper coil-over requires yearly service, rust or just simply crap-out. Hotchkis sway-bar is cool until the poly bushing worn out, make noises and the bar snap to 2 pieces (it is hollow). Nothing is wrong with a G37 without the sport pkg, but the sport package is such a great deal whether you track the car or not. And it is not like you can not add some nice coil-over or struts to the sport package.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 PM
G37NC

Somewhat related to the topic, I was told that 2010 is the first year Infiniti is offering the maple trim option with the Sport package. Apparently hard to find, I searched 3 local dealers and found only one. Just rolled of the truck!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 AM
LightsOut

Originally Posted by CodeG
For people that have sporting intention, the G37 sport package is really a great value: LSD, brakes, seats , wheels, variable steering ratio, tuned suspension. Heck, it even came with better tires then the non sport. The LSD may be deem "weak" by track junkies, but it is quiet and better then a open diff. One can't argue about the brakes, it brings joy to the driving experience. Unless I have 5K to buy at least some thing like Volks or the like, cheaper after market wheels don't even fit properly, heavier and most required eccentric rings. Variable steering is what makes the sport pkg value even greater; you can have light parking steering effort during parking or slow speed maneuver, but lighting quick, precise control at higher speed (try to have a mod equal to that) After market coil spring and sway-bars looks great, but prepare for bone jarring rides and you better buy a good (expensive) set up. Cheaper coil-over requires yearly service, rust or just simply crap-out. Hotchkis sway-bar is cool until the poly bushing worn out, make noises and the bar snap to 2 pieces (it is hollow). Nothing is wrong with a G37 without the sport pkg, but the sport package is such a great deal whether you track the car or not. And it is not like you can not add some nice coil-over or struts to the sport package.

cheaper wheels dont fit properly---- Ummm it's called you should know your proper wheels sizes before making that mistake.

Lighting precise control--- sport or non sport both adjust steering according to speed.

cheaper coilovers, yearly service---thats just part of modding.. doesn't matter if your sport or non sport. Thats modding maintenance.

swaybars--- just cause there hollow doesnt mean there going to crack after time. So oem rubber bushings are better than poly? wrong there! Endlinks will probably break first, and sport and non sport share the same endlinks.

swapping out struts and coils defeats some slight purpose of "Sport" and now your contridicting yourself...

sport is well worth it! but having non sport is just as fun as sport. Sport and non sport will both mod (depending on owner)

end result equals the same
Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^^ OEM rubber bushings are better than aftermarket poly for a lot reasons, but primarily they are (a) designed to degrade gracefully over the years without making noise, and (b) have 'give' which the poly bushings do not. Polybushings often = noise and sudden failures due to the nature of the material. Additionally, they place extra stress on the parts they connect to since they are made of such a hard, strong material - it's like a spine that gets a fuse and a metal brace screwed in - sure, it's now much stronger at the fixed joint, but the surrounding material is not as strong as the new joint, and tends to wear out even faster. I personally would not put poly bushings on my car. There was a great discussion on this topic on the G8 board between aftermarket parts reps and an automotive engineer - the engineer did a great job of explaining why OEM bushings are rubber, and not poly. I'll try and find it....
Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LightsOut
cheaper wheels dont fit properly---- Ummm it's called you should know your proper wheels sizes before making that mistake.

Lighting precise control--- sport or non sport both adjust steering according to speed.

cheaper coilovers, yearly service---thats just part of modding.. doesn't matter if your sport or non sport. Thats modding maintenance.

swaybars--- just cause there hollow doesnt mean there going to crack after time. So oem rubber bushings are better than poly? wrong there! Endlinks will probably break first, and sport and non sport share the same endlinks.

swapping out struts and coils defeats some slight purpose of "Sport" and now your contridicting yourself...

sport is well worth it! but having non sport is just as fun as sport. Sport and non sport will both mod (depending on owner)

end result equals the same
The sport has faster steering ratio, and that you can not be easily added in. My point is the sport package is a better value; by the time you buy (cheap) wheels, tires, (cheap) coil-over set up, you already have spent more then the cost of the sport pkg while going through the hassle of installing/maintaining these parts. BTW, I would not replace the sport pkg suspension with a cheap coil-over set up.
Cost aside, it is worth it to do thing right. A non-sport G37 can be improves to perform as well or better then the G37S, it will just cost more.
One way to keep the cost down is to buy used S pkg parts.
I was about to tell you not to believe everything you see on after-market part advertisements. But then I can see that you still have a lot to learn, the hard way.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
greg_atlanta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't assume the springs and sway bars are different. On the 07-08 G35 sedan they're both the same on sport and non-sport (the part numbers are the same). The only difference is the rear shocks.

I haven't researched the issue on the 09+ G37.... you may want to get more detailed info.

I didn't get sport package on my 08 G35 since 1) hated the seats, and 2) didn't want higher tire/brake replacement costs.