G37 Sedan

Ok, got a '10 sedan w/o the sport package. Mistake. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
The Sewell Infiniti Parts shop lists a "Paddle Shifter Kit." There's no other details about it, however. I guess you'd have to call them to find out exactly what that is.
2009 G37 Sedan: Paddle Shifter Kit - Paddle Shifter Kit
It's pretty expensive at $600.

Search the forum, you'll find a bunch of info on where to get them (cheaper) and how to install them.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
GxS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtimegeek
what I'm really missing is the sport-tuned suspension and tighter steering.

Is there any (affordable) way to get the suspension and steering tuned to my tastes at this point?
If you were going to mod your car anyway, then the sport package really is not necessary.
1. you can upgrade your sways with hotchkis sways
2. you can switch out your OE springs with coilovers (which is what i would recommend)/ aftermarket springs
3. with a drop you will need a rear camber kit and i highly recommend getting a front control arm
4. tack on some GTSpec underbraces
boom, 4 steps and you will have a G that rides like rails that will perform way better than the OE sport set up

Originally Posted by xclusive
Is there any way of adding the paddle shifters?? I think that would be a nice feature.
yes: http://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy/...t-paddles.html and try riverside infiniti
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM
DMan928
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GxS
If you were going to mod your car anyway, then the sport package really is not necessary.
1. you can upgrade your sways with hotchkis sways
2. you can switch out your OE springs with coilovers (which is what i would recommend)/ aftermarket springs
3. with a drop you will need a rear camber kit and i highly recommend getting a front control arm
4. tack on some GTSpec underbraces
boom, 4 steps and you will have a G that rides like rails that will perform way better than the OE sport set up

yes: DIY: Installing Sport paddles - G35Driver and try riverside infiniti
Riverside Infiniti sells the kit for around $200, IIRC.

First mod I plan on doing.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
It's pretty expensive at $600.

Search the forum, you'll find a bunch of info on where to get them (cheaper) and how to install them.
Yeah, that always seems the case with OEM accessories. Good advice.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 AM
GxS

Originally Posted by DMan928
Riverside Infiniti sells the kit for around $200, IIRC.

First mod I plan on doing.
i'd also suggest you get grounding wires. they help immensely with cutting down the shift times on an AT.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by GxS
i'd also suggest you get grounding wires. they help immensely with cutting down the shift times on an AT.
ok so, self-admitted non-technical noob here.... I've seen countless references to "grounding kits". What exactly is this, why would/should it be done, and what is the result/end-goal?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I wasn't aware the sport came with a different "steering" package - adaptive? shows you how much i did my homework -_- anyways, sport seats really aren't that great. i have a little under 2000 miles and they're already showing small bits of wear (i'm trying my best to lift as I get out of the car, and find myself constantly conditioning them - the passenger side's a goner...not like i tell my lady to get in a certain way, although she does try...).

The upgraded "sport" wasn't worth it at the time of your purchase...but since it is now, you have the extra $$$ to spend on mods to BETTER your G Journey > Sport.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by eksigned
I wasn't aware the sport came with a different "steering" package - adaptive? shows you how much i did my homework -_- anyways, sport seats really aren't that great. i have a little under 2000 miles and they're already showing small bits of wear (i'm trying my best to lift as I get out of the car, and find myself constantly conditioning them - the passenger side's a goner...not like i tell my lady to get in a certain way, although she does try...).

The upgraded "sport" wasn't worth it at the time of your purchase...but since it is now, you have the extra $$$ to spend on mods to BETTER your G Journey > Sport.
No, the tech package comes with the 4-wheel active steering. And I think only with the RWD models. But there is a slightly different steering ratio with the RWD sport models vs non-sport. "Stiffer" is the term, I think.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by MOB
ok so, self-admitted non-technical noob here.... I've seen countless references to "grounding kits". What exactly is this, why would/should it be done, and what is the result/end-goal?

Thanks!
Read this(Betty's Garage). Opinions vary on here about their effectiveness. Do a search and you will find lots of info.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there alot of trade off between the sport and non sport as far as chassis vibration on driving on rough pavement? i was thinking my non-sport chassis on the g37x was already firm and i already get a good rattle on rough pavement.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Many people that buy the sport package trade out the wheels/tires. The sport breaks are nice, but, if you are not going to track the car, probably don't need them. If you do track the car, you'll probably want to upgrade them. Paddle shift upgrade on your car, I thinks costs around $300.? Suspension, again, many people upgrade the sport springs, bars, etc. So, bottom line probably the limited slip and seats would be the main keepers from the sport package, IMHO. You can use what you saved in price toward your choice of upgrades, some of which you probably would have done anyway. So, not too bad. :-) You have a really nice ride.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by movinon
I would have liked the upgraded brakes, but I doubt if they would do any better then the regular brakes, for anything other then the race track, where they would fade less under numerous hard braking.
If the sport version had more horsepower then the non-sport, that may have been enough to sway me.
And how would more horsepower do anything for you on the street? Just comparing to your comment about the brakes.

The sport brakes look super cool and pedal feel is excellent. This was a nice move by Infiniti to add this option to the sedan and not just the coupe.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:40 PM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by movinon
If the sport version had more horsepower then the non-sport, that may have been enough to sway me.
Not trying to pick on you, but the S version with manual trans. does put more power to the wheels. There's less driveline loss.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by eksigned
I The upgraded "sport" wasn't worth it at the time of your purchase...but since it is now, you have the extra $$$ to spend on mods to BETTER your G Journey > Sport.
The sport package is a real bargin and should have been an easy decision. He’ll spend far more on an aftermarket BBK and LSD + installation. And he’ll still be without the sport seats, sport suspension, front bumper, quicker steering ratio and summer tires.

There is no way I would bother with this car without the sport package and manual trans. option. Unlike many competitors, Infiniti actually put together a real sport package for the G. You have to spend $60K to get a LSD in a BMW (i.e. M3).
Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
g37xs_pilot

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
No, the tech package comes with the 4-wheel active steering. And I think only with the RWD models. But there is a slightly different steering ratio with the RWD sport models vs non-sport. "Stiffer" is the term, I think.
Yes, the standard RWD sedan steering ratio is 16.4:1 vs. 14.7:1 with the Sport package, except with the X. The AWD Sport package does not include the tuned suspension or quicker steering ratio. I have an xS and that's the biggest disadvantage to me; lack of the quicker ratio, which isn't an easy 'fix'. At less than a grand invoice price add-on it was still well worth it to me for the paddle shifters, seats, wheels, etc.

Quick Reply: Ok, got a '10 sedan w/o the sport package. Mistake. What are my options?